What's new

How long does a Soap last you?

I purchased Proraso Green back in early April, and i’m not even half way through the tub. Maybe only 10%? As someone new to using soaps, this is pretty amazing. And its not even like i shave once or twice a week - i do it every single day. The lather gives me almost 3 comfortable passes without the need to re-lather too. At this rate, I’ll probably go through more than a few months with one tub. My shaving gels would only last a month or so from what i recall.

Are you guys getting the same mileage out of your soaps? Or does it vary according to brand?

The only downside is that i’ve only seen Proraso at Shoppers Drug here in Vancouver and surrounding areas. I like being in control of when exactly my shaving products are available, and placing orders online might not exactly do fhat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lasta

Blade Biter
Somewhere around 1g per shave. A little less for hard soaps, a little more for soft ones.

I purchased Proraso Green back in early April, and i’m not even half way through the tub. Maybe only 10%? As someone new to using soaps, this is pretty amazing. And its not even like i shave once or twice a week - i do it every single day. The lather gives me almost 3 comfortable passes without the need to re-lather too. At this rate, I’ll probably go through more than a few months with one tub. My shaving gels would only last a month or so from what i recall.

Are you guys getting the same mileage out of your soaps? Or does it vary according to brand?

The only downside is that i’ve only seen Proraso at Shoppers Drug here in Vancouver and surrounding areas. I like being in control of when exactly my shaving products are available, and placing orders online might not exactly do fhat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shave soaps last a looong time. Proraso tubs are 150 g so at 1 g per shave, it’ll last months.

London Drugs has Wilkinson blue soap and Tabac. I have never been but MASC downtown Vancouver has shave soaps and creams. Oh, and some barbershops have shave stuff, I have seen Truefitt & Hill at a barbershop downtown.

Enjoy the journey!

I used to get, at a minimum, six months out of one Proraso tube. Great value.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

My soap last until its finished :001_tt2: I have never worried/considered how long my soaps will last.

My initial thought is that 1g of soap sounds too little but YMMV. I would have thought 2-3g to be more representative of a quality 3 pass shave. Jarrod from TSS weigh and calculate soap usage and generally arrive at somewhere around 2-3g depending soap.

Brush size and soap/cream type will significantly impact soap quantity in order to achieve good lather. Trippe milled soaps might use far less product to lather than a cream or croap like Stirling.

:shaving: Lather up and don't skimp

1-1.5g per shave for soaps and 2g for croaps. I only checked because all of the posts about shaves per soap and others responses got me a little curious. Also, I get about 3 mos. from a tub of Prorasoshaving every day.

This is for 3 face passes and 2 head passes plus clean-up if needed.

So far, I've gotten 130 shaves from a puck of Williams Mug Soap. I estimate I'll get 200. I averaged 1.89 passes per shave. Now, I only do one pass with soap and one or two with water. The next puck should last about 250-300 shaves, maybe more. I don't have any facial hair. I face lather. I use a Cremo horsehair brush. I've been averaging 0.14 grams/pass.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I usually never use the same one twice in as many days. I have many soaps but not one tub where i can see bottom. Based on my experience they last forever. ;)

It really depends on what soap you use and what brush you use. I use larger badger brushes they range from 24mm up to 31mm so I use more soap then a smaller synthetic. I find I use about two grams per shave maybe a little bit more. But I also shave both my face and head.

The life of a soap will vary by brand. Differences such has hardness and, obviously, weight/size of the puck will affect the life of the soap. I find that a tub of Proraso will last me a 3 months, over 4 months for Stirling and 2 1/2 months for VDH. Note that I shave every day and use each puck till it’s done before moving on to the next one.

I estimate that most pucks would last 3-4 months of daily use (an estimate because I have a rotation.) MdC is the exception, that one lasts a LONG time!

At times too long! I have several that I've decided to just work my way through, and thereby thin out the shelf and drawer of soaps I've accumulated. Currently working on a tub of Proraso White, which honestly isn't bad, not the slickest, but certainly slick enough, but just doesn't carry much of a scent to my nose. - It could also use a bit more menthol for the warmer summer months....I like the Proraso Green a whole lot more.

If you want a soap that lasts, besides Tabac mentioned above, I have a puck of PDP63 that seems to be the ever lasting puck. Even after dozens of shaves, you can still see where the logo was on the puck. I use synthetic brushes, which seem to take less soap for a good lather, perhaps using a Boar brush would have it wear down quicker, but with a synthetic, my guess would be a good six months or more worth of shaves in a single puck....assuming daily use.

I bought 2 tubs of proraso almost 2 years ago and im still going on them one is brand new never opened . so hows that . mind you I do cheat a bit I use a few stick soaps too.

I'm an obvious exception in that i use soap at about 4g per shave (typically the tub weighs 20g less every 5 shaves).
This includes B&M, Stirling, Uncle Jons, Grooming Dept.
Some may actually be more but i get the most sensation lathers each and every time which is most important to me. I do not consider this wasting soap, but enjoying soap.

Top Bottom