What's new

How long does a shaving brush last?

I have an Omega Boar brush I bought for roughly $25 (Australian). How long would a brush like this normally last? Would more expensive brushes last longer?

I normally use Proraso shaving soap but I also have a tube of Proraso shaving cream as well as one Colonel Conk (which I don't often use).

Thanks.

Last edited:
Just thought but I would think shaving lather would condition the bristles hence extending their life span considerably. I had a boar brush for years which i replaced with a Simpson Chubby 1 which only lasted six weeks and was returned to the vendor as the epoxy didn't take so it was continually shedding. The replacement is not much better either, I think Simpson QC has gone down the toilet...

Have a 25 year old Chubby 2 in Best which is still going strong in it's original guise. Also a boar Simpson S which is 20yrs+. It does all depend on the drying/cleaning.....! (as said before!) :001_rolle

Bottom line is, some people take care of their possessions and they last them a very long time.
Other people don't take good care of their possessions and they don't last as long
I had an Ever-Ready brush that I just left stuck in the mug covered with dried soap and it only lasted me 15 years.

Bernd lists badger hair as lasting ten years on his site. But I've read several posts of gents using brushes for 30+ years.

I'm sure there are several variables. Is it your only brush? Or do you (as many here do), rotate 2? 3? 25:w00t:? Do you face lather or bowl lather? How do you dry your brush? Over aggressive use will shorten it's life by 10, maybe 20 years.

All that said, I would not be at all surprised to see a single brush user who took reasonable care of a quality badger brush have it last 30 years! (manufacturing defects cited above excepted, of course)

Ken

When I had the knot replaced on my Simpsons AS2M with a super 3-band I was told it was good for another 10 years.

Now take a look around your home and find anything that you purchased 10+ years ago that is still in great condition and that you can use daily.

When I had the knot replaced on my Simpsons AS2M with a super 3-band I was told it was good for another 10 years.

Now take a look around your home and find anything that you purchased 10+ years ago that is still in great condition and that you can use daily.

Um, about 40 Simpson brushes.....

Top Bottom