What's new

how long does a jar of MdC last with daily use?

I bought one last September and I'm barely 50% through it. I wasn't regular initially, but since April, I've been using it daily. It looks like it could go at least another 6 months. I'm almost bored with it (unscented), but I don't want to buy something else without finishing it.

I am using MdC at the rate of one gram per shave. As an every other day shaver a 200 gram jar should last me 400 days. At the same rate an every day shaver will get about 7 months use.

Like bobmsp said, you weigh it. I checked the weight after 45 shaves and came up with .97g per use. I figure that many shaves should give a pretty accurate number.

Thanks for the info. When I bought my first tub last September the only size available was 200g. Now they have 50g which looks like would last 2 months. That is much better for cycling through the scents, I think.

If I use what you guys are reporting of approx 1 gm per shave, I should be out in another 4 months or so.

I've never tried this soap. Can anyone tell me to which soap it is nearest in terms of performance?

Probably the soap I imagine it resembles is SV, but lately, I love Haslinger non tallow.

Mine lasted a total of 15 months. I didn't use it every day but kept track of usage in a shave journal spreadsheet. Also, I do four pass shave on my face and two pass shave on my head.

I've never tried this soap. Can anyone tell me to which soap it is nearest in terms of performance?

Probably the soap I imagine it resembles is SV, but lately, I love Haslinger non tallow.

There is some discussion of cheaper alternatives here and in the following posts.

This is my first ever soap (was a cream user until now), and in terms of performance, I think I could get close with XPEC, although even with that I only ever tried a sample which gave me maybe 3 or 4 shaves.

Haha

It's not like it's torture, just a hunger for more, kind of like being greedy. I actually look forward to my shave every day. But having tried a few other scents, I would like to get the Agrumes next. Either that, or give ADP a shot.
I know what you mean. I currently 3017 my soaps and a standard tub of soft soap like a B&M might last me about 25-30 shaves. Currently i'm using a Stirling soap and had shave 35 today. There is probably only 3-4 more left but at about shave 20 i started getting the desire to try something else in my modest stash of soaps. I did just that for 2 days and then went back to the Stirling and as i am so close to finishing it, i too look forward to shaving with it daily.

I dont believe i've ever used an unscented soap - that might me more of a challenge to me.

Load it hard and heavy is a good motto :001_smile

That's what I'm doing!
Weigh the dry tub and after 5 shaves, weigh it dry again and you will be able to estimate how much longer you have. Bear in mind that the soap might become a softer consistency towards the end and be used up faster.

I have a MdC Fougere which has maybe 10 uses on it. I have pencilled in November this year (Australian Spring) to use it for the month. I feel with this soap, i might only use it for 1 month at a time throughout the year, but this will depend on my actual usage rate.

Bear in mind that the soap might become a softer consistency towards the end and be used up faster.
Reminds me of a cartoon in MAD magazine from a 3+ decades ago where they showed the anatomy of a bar of shower soap:
- Outer layer (10%) -- works as you would expect it to, generates lather and gets used slowly.
- Middle layer (80%) -- evaporates in no time even if the soap is not used.
- Inner layer (10%) -- super hard and generates no lather.

I have a MdC Fougere which has maybe 10 uses on it. I have pencilled in November this year (Australian Spring) to use it for the month. I feel with this soap, i might only use it for 1 month at a time throughout the year, but this will depend on my actual usage rate.
I found the Fougere too strong. I actually bought a jar of that a few years ago and immediately put it on BST after a few shaves. The shaves were good, but the scent was too strong and I felt like the scent was causing skin irritation.

When I ordered the envelopes, then too the Fougere was so strong it actually overwhelmed all the others -- everything smelled like the Fougere as I pulled them out of the pack. It's only after using them for a few days while storing them away from the Fougere that I was able to experience the other scents. They were out of Vetyver envelopes when I ordered, but that is one I would have liked to try. Rose was available but I skipped it because I'm just not a fan of flowery fragrances.

I know what you mean. I currently 3017 my soaps and a standard tub of soft soap like a B&M might last me about 25-30 shaves. Currently i'm using a Stirling soap and had shave 35 today. There is probably only 3-4 more left but at about shave 20 i started getting the desire to try something else in my modest stash of soaps. I did just that for 2 days and then went back to the Stirling and as i am so close to finishing it, i too look forward to shaving with it daily.

I dont believe i've ever used an unscented soap - that might me more of a challenge to me.

Load it hard and heavy is a good motto :001_smile

You are using a LOT of soap, my friend... no judging here though.

I could probably cut my usage by half and still get a good shave. I always have lather to wash down the drain, at least a couple passes worth and that's after a two pass with cleanup. If I was real careful I could stretch a jar to 400 shaves over 800 days. A solid two years.

Top Bottom