What's new

How long does a carton (100-pack) of your BEST DE blades last?

Feathers for me are 2 and out. So figuring 2 a week, the 100 pack would last a year as I shave 4-5 times per week. Other blades go longer. I would expect 2 years from them.

Pushing a blade to its limits makes no sense.

if you pay $10 for 100 blades that’s $0.10 per blade. If you use it 5 times, it’s $0.02 per shave. If you use it 10 times, it’s 0.01 per shave, which will save you $3.65 in a year if you shave everyday, less than a cup of coffee. If you use it 100 times, that’s $0.001 per shave, which will save you $6.93 in a year, which is less than two cups of coffee in a year.

So yes, I toss my blades after 5 shaves. No need to be frugal, you ARE NOT SAVING money. If this amount of money is important to you, it’s Better not to shave at all.

I have just one rule: I don’t pay $25 for a 100 pack. I’m glad I can get my favorite Gillette Platinums very cheaply
It is not to save money. Why throw away a good thing??
Toilet paper is also cheap. Do you use only first sheet because it is so cheap?

It is not to save money. Why throw away a good thing??
Toilet paper is also cheap. Do you use only first sheet because it is so cheap?
First of all, Toilet paper is not that cheap anymore!

Second, a clean and fresh blade goes a long way in getting a close irritation free shave. Please keep in mind I’m not advocating to single-use a DE blade, but there’s no good reason to push it so much. Anywhere between 4-10 is ideal in my experience.

PS: don’t throw your blades away. They are 100% recyclable 😉

Last edited:
Oh, It that expansive in your country !! You can compare a sheet of paper with DE blade !
I hope you did understand my point!
Do you drink only first glass and throw away rest of the bottle?

Last edited:
Gentlemen, please! Could we please keep the explosive volume level of this discussion below the detonation of a Nuclear warhead?

Thank you.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
As they say YMMV

Feathers about 800 shaves 2yrs
Astra SS about 1600 shaves 4yrs
Personna Platinum 2400 shaves 6.5yrs
BIC Chrome Platinum 3000 shaves 8yrs
Schick Platinum 6000 shaves 16yrs

I shave about 3 times per week. I get 10-12 shaves out of a Wizamet so figure 1 month per blade. Just call it 8 years to burn through 100. Considering I use injectors and straights once in a while that 250 pack of Wizzies will last longer than I need them too.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I've yet to buy a 100 pack of anything. 25-30 has been my limit so far. I'm open to enabling suggestions. :)

I can get seven good shaves from a Wizamet, so about two years from them. So far, I haven’t found anything else which will equal that number, so about a year from most of the others I’ve tried. There are still a few I haven’t yet tried, so it could be another blade might give me more satisfactory shaves. It’s really moot at this point, since I have more than enough blades to last me the rest of my life, even if I surpass the actuarial tables.
Jack

I don't really know "best" from "worst", and I try to use all of my blades for five shaves then toss em, so 500 shaves.

Shaving every-other day, that comes to 1,000 days or 2.7397260274 years.

...and regarding TP: once...definitely once.

100 Wizamet SI would last me just over 4 years at an avg of 15 shaves per blade in an R89.
Now, would I want to use that same blade and razor combination exclusively for 4 years is the question...

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Typically a couple of years, but my Lab Blues could go a good bit longer, maybe four years.

My best blades, GSB, Feather, Nacet, easily last a week, even two weeks if I push it. Sharks and such last a couple
I have the same mindset. Some of the bargain blades do not last but a couple of shaves or so.

This is perfect for the "one and done" gang. For me, it doesn't make much sense?

Years ago, vintage blades and average shavers would routinely get 15-20 shaves out of a single DE blade. I imagine that's how they came to be sold in tucks of five blades each. Someone could pick up a couple of tucks and be good for two months.

I get it that today's blades are thinner, sharper and smoother. The trade off is that they don't last as long. Still blades back then would cost 2-3 cents per shave, in yesterday's money.

I can understand that some folks have really tough beards that are difficult for blades. Still, that doesn't represent the average shaver who should get a minimum of 4-6 shaves.

Currently, I have been shaving daily and wiping and drying the blade after every use. Shaving daily this way is less taxing on a blade than shaving 2-3 times a week.

On a 1-10 scale, if average would be a five, I might be a four. For my use, a blade should last me a minimum of a week. If a blade costs 14-cents, then that figures 2-cents per-shave.

There are many excellent blades out there that work around these net cost per-shave numbers.

I don't worry about them, I try different blades, that is how the numbers happen to work for me.

My guess is with this frequency, blades should last somewhere around two years for a hundred blades. Some less, others will be a bit more. Haven't been counting.

If I wasn't doing the hobby thing, I would like every blade I use to last one week. That way, I could put in a fresh blade once a week and be done.

Last edited:
I have only been shaving a couple of times a week lately. Working from home and laziness, I guess.

Generally I would shave about 250x a year and use most blades twice. Rarely a 3rd time.

I would would say that 100 blades would last me 8-9 months.

I believe that the Gillette Platinum blades I am ordering will provide me with at least 700 decent shaves (that's almost 2 years, folks).

What about you?

1 year and 48 weeks.

I like to change blades on the same day every week, as all quality blades (like Feather, Astra SP, Astra SS, Rapira Platinum Lux, Nacet, and others) give me at least one week of BBS shaves with my kind of shaving prep.
Some might go longer, but I like the convenience of changing blades on the same day of the week.

B.

Top Bottom