What's new

How Long Do Toasters Last?

We had to buy a new toaster tonight. The old one suddenly wasn't toasting bread enough, and it turned out that most of the elements on the inner divider weren't glowing. Never quite seen a failure like this. With our two previous ones, it was all or nothing.

Yes, that was our third toaster. We've also been married over thirty years. The first lasted the longest. The second maybe ten years. This last one, a Rival, held out less than that.

Tonight we decided to try a Black and Decker. We're wondering how long this one will last.

New small appliances do not last very long. You will get a couple of years out of it. Not any different than garbage drip coffee makers. I bought a vintage toaster and percolator at an estate sale about 15 years ago. They are still going great. The coffee maker, toaster, and hot plate at work get replaced, on average, every 2 years.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Nothing is really made to last anymore. Plus finding someone to repair these appliances is getting harder and harder. You used to be able to replace the element in an old fashioned electric kettle but they are few and far between now.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Remember the toasters that had the doors on the sides that opened downwards? No set and forget, if you left the bread in and forgot about it, it certainly finished up toasted.

I bought my Philips toaster in 2001. I use it every weekend. The paint is no longer pure white, but a bit yellowish. Even so it still works fine.

Nothing is really made to last anymore. Plus finding someone to repair these appliances is getting harder and harder. You used to be able to replace the element in an old fashioned electric kettle but they are few and far between now.

That was back when labor was relatively inexpensive compared to materials and there was more labor involved in building something than repairing it. Now everything is assembled by machines but the logistics of supplying spare parts and the labor of repair still involve much more human effort so it is now more expensive to fix things than to buy new.

The wife and I have been using the same toaster for 12 years and it works fine, knock on wood, though we're on our second microwave in that time.

Maybe try a Dualit.

Yep, I bought a second hand two slice one years ago and it will outlast me! All parts are replaceable and easy to change (and easy to source in the UK where they are made. Don't know about over the pond)

Looks really good too!

Gareth

Dualit looks interesting - and expensive. The first thing that comes to mind, though, is voltage. The UK residential voltage is 230v, compared to the US 120/240v. The US runs at 60 Hz compared to the UK 50 Hz, but a toaster that's just heating elements, variable resistor, and temperature release isn't going to sweat the different frequency. UK appliances and US appliances have different plug styles, too.

Not very impressed with the results of the new toaster. First thought is the outlet has a bad connection that fails under load, but I changed that out not many months ago, and my wife used an electric skillet on it last night with no problem.

It looks like all local toasters have gone to the same control style. Gone are the slide temperature adjustments. That's not a big issue, but is something I noticed.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I think my aunt still has my grandmother's toaster, probably from the '80's

We have a Breville going on 8 years. It has a sliding temp adjust FWIW

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Obsolescence is theft! :em1500:

You do have a point.

My parents were gifted a used Sunbeam sometime in the mid 60's. The toaster would lower the bread itself and did a fine job. As far as I can recall it was still in use until my father passed away about 50 years later.

We have a older chrome toaster that we’ve had for quite some time. Though, most of of our small appliances are commercial or vintage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a West Bend toaster that's at least 10 years old. My only two objections to it are (1) that the Cancel button requires a lot of pressure to operate, and (2) it's very quiet when it's done. It stops toasting, but does not pop up all the way, presumably to keep the toast warm.
It's old enough that Google images does not show any models even remotely resembling it.
Ooh - a lot of the West Bend two-slice toasters now have an egg cooker on the front.

Top Bottom