What's new

How long do things last for you?

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I find that a well made pair of shoes can last 30 years. Khakis and shirts (both all cotton, not no iron) usually run around 10 years. Underwear (cotton) and socks (merino) last about 5 years. Athletic stuff made out of fake-o materials seems to last forever? All of these could run a little longer, but at these points they are not looking as good as they might. What's your experience?

Eben Stone

Staff member
You should factor in how often you actually wear them, otherwise the durations you mentioned aren't very relevant.

For example: I just replaced all my cotton athletic socks with wool. I have no idea how many I have. I had approx 36 pairs of athletic socks and now maybe 18 pairs of wool socks. If they both last me the same duration that's not a fair comparison, because I'm wearing the wool socks 2x as often as the athletic socks.

The shoelaces in my new Altras lasted me about 2 weeks. I was wearing them every day. I bought another set (of shoes, same style, different color) and they broke the 2nd time wearing them. I replaced them both boot laces which look ugly, they've lasted 6 months (wearing those same shoes almost every day) and are starting to fray.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
You should factor in how often you actually wear them, otherwise the durations you mentioned aren't very relevant.

For example: I just replaced all my cotton athletic socks with wool. I have no idea how many I have. I had approx 36 pairs of athletic socks and now maybe 18 pairs of wool socks. If they both last me the same duration that's not a fair comparison, because I'm wearing the wool socks 2x as often as the athletic socks.

The shoelaces in my new Altras lasted me about 2 weeks. I was wearing them every day. I bought another set (of shoes, same style, different color) and they broke the 2nd time wearing them. I replaced them both boot laces which look ugly, they've lasted 6 months (wearing those same shoes almost every day) and are starting to fray.
They all get pretty regular wear. I have in regular rotation:
Khakis...2 pairs
Shorts...3
Polos...4
Button downs...4
Boxers...6
Loafers...2 pairs, one used only for dressing up, a distant memory
One pair of camp shoes worn a lot in the summer.
Sox...3 pairs

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have no idea anymore.

My lifestyle has changed drastically for health reasons, and the type of clothes I wear, and the number of shoes I swap between, have all changed too. I used to drive everywhere, but not walk, and occasionally use public transport. However, I used to be moving around a lot, whereas now I'll only go beyond the shop at the end of the street, maybe four or five times per month.

The wardrobe got a full overhaul this year. I threw out some shirts that were less than five years old, but kept others that are older than ten. Of the shoes that got thrown out, I had a four or five year old pair of hiking boots, a five year old pair of trainers, and a year old pair of slippers. I have also kept shoes over 15 year old, though they were worn less often. My coats are nearly all 10+ years old.

I would guess that even cheap shoes tend to last me 400 - 500 days of wear, depending on sole/tread thickness. Some may even go much longer. I wouldn't be surprised if my trousers and jeans lasted me 80-150 washes. Shirts, maybe 50-100 washes. That's till they're wrecked, and I'd wear them anywhere at first, but home and garden only in their latter days. I do own a range of different materials of each though, so even within each garment type, there's much variation.

my merino socks don't tend to last 5 years, but they last long enough to satisfy me. Darn Tough last longer but that's because they have less wool, more polypropylene/spandex/etc... and all my socks are wool, or wool/silk blend

I've got 20+ yo cotton/natural fiber dress shirts. but that's a factor of frequency, as said.

thin weight cotton T-shirts last about a year. standard weight Ts a couple to 10, based on how often they're worn.

shoes can get wore out in a year or 30, based on the construction and wear... if I was still running, I'd go through those in 6 months.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I have a hand knit wool sweater from Ireland I’ve been wearing every winter for 30 years. Several 20+ year leather jackets. Birkenstock and Blundstone footwear have lots and lots of miles. I take care of my stuff, but also like old and worn and often wear things until just falling apart. I’m hard on gym shoes and replace regularly as I find they break down quickly.

Really depends on three things. Quality, use frequency and application. My work trousers - wrangler cargos with the phone pocket start to fray a bit after a year or so. But I just do what ever I want with them - kneel on concrete, mess about with oily stuff, sit at my desk… Top end shoes 30+ years of maybe average once or twice a month use. Socks - Thorlos seemingly forever. Cotton about a year. Shirts 10+ in my rotation of about 50. NB 990s I replace every spring. Probably about 1500 miles of walking on them and they get soggy and lifeless.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Most of these experiences you have shared validate my general impression of Badger and Blade, a group with good judgment not given to filling landfills with yesterday's fashions! Nice.

I've always been a believer in the "Buy Once, Cry Once" philosophy. Many of my coats, boots, shoes, shirts, etc. are long serving items.

2 pairs of western boots at 20 years + each (Tony Lama shoulder and Dan Post kangaroo). Both have been re-soled by a local bootmaker and cobbler.
Red Wing Iron Rangers coming up on 10 years and about to go back for recrafting.
L.L. Bean Maine Hunting boots purchased new in 1985, and recrafted by Bean twice now
L.L. Bean field coat 22 years old

etc. etc...

"A pair shoes 👞 I have that I wear just about everyday last 2 years max, before they start breaking down."

Next time if you buy 2 pairs and rotate every other day, they will last 5+ years. The resting/drying time between wears goes a long way for increased longevity.

Unless I am traveling, I NEVER wear the same pair of shoes 2 days in a row.

I find athletic shoes breakdown a lot faster because of how they’re used. Maybe a year or so for those.

Well made dress shoes, I have pairs which are 10+ years. Shirts and the like I have many which are 5-6 years old.

I’m terrible - I tend of move things on before they’re fully done by donating them unless it’s something special. I have a pair of leather gloves which are going on 15 years and show no signs of giving up.

Eben Stone

Staff member
I have 2 cargo pants that I bought 20 years ago. One I spilled paint on so I only wear them for dirty jobs. The other I wear on the weekends and sometimes after I get off work. Except for the paint, they are in good condition and don't really show any noticeable signs of wear.

I had some Reef sandals that lasted me over 10 years. I probably wore them every day in the summers. The only reason I replaced them is they started to stink after I got them wet in a river.

Levi's and Lee jeans last me about 2-3 years. I usually have 3 sets and I wear them 3 days a week.

Dickies work pants, I have 4 sets, I wear them 5 days a week, last me approx. 10 years. At work I sit at a desk. The only reason I replaced them is because I lost weight. When I replaced them they were in good condition.

Nike running shoes, if I wear them every day (as casual shoes, not running), will last me about 2 years.

Last edited:
My clothes tend to last a long time. In addition to factors such as frequency of wear, major contributors to clothing deterioration are how you wash them and dry them, I wash clothing on gentle cycle using cold or Lukewarm water with a mild detergent and no fabric softener. I usually air dry clothes rather than machine drying. Sending clothes to professional cleaners will wear them out in a hurry. Steaming and or low heat ironing will help clothes last. Separating clothes into similar types when washing will save unneeded wear and tear. And of course hand washing will be less wearing on clthing

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My clothes tend to last a long time. In addition to factors such a request of wear, major contributors to clothing deterioration are how you wash them and dry them, I wash clothing on gentle cycle using cold or Lukewarm water with a mild detergent and no fabric softener. I usually air dry clothes rather than machine drying. Sending clothes to professional cleaners will wear them out in a hurry. Steaming and our low heat ironing will help clothes last. Separating clothes into similar types when washing will save unneeded wear and tear. And of course hand washing will be less wearing on clothing
All good advice. In the winter I dry as much of my clothes as possible on racks near our wood stove. I HATE my stuff shrinking!

All good advice. In the winter I dry as much of my clothes as possible on racks near our wood stove. I HATE my stuff shrinking!
There are ways to stretch clothing, especially tees, without ruining them. It's somewhat tedious, but in some cases worth it with a favorite shirt. I have a beautiful almost-new Al Kaline/Detroit Tigers/#6 t-shirt from ebay that was too tight. I've carefully stretched it and it now fits perfectly. From the FWIW department, Kaline was my sports hero growing up in Detroit. (I now live in the great, green Pacific NW)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
There are ways to stretch clothing, especially tees, without ruining them. It's somewhat tedious, but in some cases worth it with a favorite shirt. I have a beautiful almost-new Al Kaline/Detroit Tigers/#6 t-shirt from ebay that was too tight. I've carefully stretched it and it now fits perfectly. From the FWIW department, Kaline was my sports hero growing up in Detroit. (I now live in the great, green Pacific NW)
He was mine too! Lol, I actually have a scrapbook from when he chased 3000 hits.

He had a great Series in '68. And moving Mickey Stanley from Center Field to second has gone down as a genius move.

Edit: Shortstop!

It depends on quality of the stuff.
My findings are that the big companies do not produce really high quality clothes anymore.
My US made Ralph Lauren Bayport cotton jacket is over 20 years with me. A Diesel jeans jacket nearly 30 years.
A Levis 501 nearly 20 years.
A Hilfiger jeans has fallen apart within 3 years. Their shirts last much, much longer.

Top Bottom