What's new

How Long Do I Wait?

After slicing myself, do I need to wait a certain amount of time before trying to shave again?

I got a nice straight slice on my cheek from where my blade dug in. Used styptic to stop the bleeding, so it did not scab up, but you can tell I took off a thin layer of skin. I gave it a rest this morning, but I cannot stay stubbly for long.

Will I be risking anything by picking back up tomorrow morning (about 42 hours after the incident)?

I searched for any older similar post but didn't find anything matching.

Figuring out which way the cut lays, and shaving against it gently usually works for me. What you don't want to do, is open the "flap" of skin again, or dig deeper with the blade. Do what you can handle, depending on the severity of it.

Figuring out which way the cut lays, and shaving against it gently usually works for me. What you don't want to do, is open the "flap" of skin again, or dig deeper with the blade. Do what you can handle, depending on the severity of it.

The (kind of) good news is that whatever "flap" was there came off on the blade, so it is truly flush with the skin around it. I think I can shave across it with out risking further damage.

I will test it out and TAKE MY TIME! :scared:

If it's just a line, you can likely shave across it. But if it's a bit deep and will dry with a scab, then stay away completely for a couple of days.

Needless to say, the very lightest pressure shaving over it...

Cheers, Steve

And how, brother!

If it's just a line, you can likely shave across it. But if it's a bit deep and will dry with a scab, then stay away completely for a couple of days.

So far it's just a line, no scab forming more than 24 hours later. I will gauge it in the morning, and certainly err on the side of caution if there is any doubt.

Last edited:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Oh, and be sure you get a good stretch. You've probably already discovered that with a straight, you can't flatten the skin by pushing on it (if you haven't, you will lol) like with other types of razors. You have to do the stretch with the off hand, tilting your head, puffing up a cheek a bit ...

Cheers, Steve

Oh, and be sure you get a good stretch. You've probably already discovered that with a straight, you can't flatten the skin by pushing on it (if you haven't, you will lol) like with other types of razors. You have to do the stretch with the off hand, tilting your head, puffing up a cheek a bit ...
Cheers, Steve

Yeah, that almost definitely contributed to the injury. I usually get a good stretch, and I think in my distraction I didn't stretch it enough. Couple that with a little pressure and I can see why I got cut.

Neosporin or similar ointment will speed things along too, fyi.

Good call, thanks. I have plenty of that in the med cabinet.

Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Stretch LONGWAYS to the cut. In other words, 90 degrees from stretching the cut apart. Don't worry about which way the whiskers grow. And I like to shave that way over a cut, too. if there is a flap, of course I shave the direction that the flap lies. Keep your shave angle really really low, almost dragging the spine on your face. IF POSSIBLE, simply shave around it for a few days.

In the future, don't cut yourself.

LOL

Stretch LONGWAYS to the cut. In other words, 90 degrees from stretching the cut apart. Don't worry about which way the whiskers grow. And I like to shave that way over a cut, too. if there is a flap, of course I shave the direction that the flap lies. Keep your shave angle really really low, almost dragging the spine on your face. IF POSSIBLE, simply shave around it for a few days.

In the future, don't cut yourself.

LOL

Roger that, Mister McCoy!

Thanks for all the great advice. This morning I shaved over it, going perpendicular to the line, and it went perfectly.

Two days' worth of stubble decimated in two passes. I am really loving straight shaving, even with the blood!

You already found the answer, but for reference, even if you wind up with something you can't/shouldn't shave over, you can still shave & get pretty close to the previous wound without having to go over it.

I've always found that straight cuts heal remarkably quickly so usually the next day (or at worst the day after) is fine.

Without trying to sound incredibly boring (and probably failing), I wouldn't be so hasty to grab something like Neosporin or other topical antibiotics straight away. Those products can contribute to antibiotic resistance and aren't really hugely necessary for a small clean cut. Technically speaking, it could even cause a bit of contact dermatitis and delay the wound healing.

TPL

Without trying to sound incredibly boring (and probably failing), I wouldn't be so hasty to grab something like Neosporin or other topical antibiotics straight away. Those products can contribute to antibiotic resistance and aren't really hugely necessary for a small clean cut. Technically speaking, it could even cause a bit of contact dermatitis and delay the wound healing.

TPL

Ive gotten cuts (not with razors) while working that most anybody would run for stitches. I just taped em up and let em heal on their own, no salves, no neosprin. Never paid particular attention to em and have never had a problem. Theres scars, but theres always going to be scars with the kind of cuts im talking about lol.

Top Bottom