What's new

How long do glycerine soaps last?

My prep involves pre-heating, with tap water, a small bowl in which is placed my shaving soap container. I then heat some hot water, to boiling, and replace the water in the bowl and poor enough over the soap to cover it. (Same sort of prep with the brush.) I do this for both glycerine and tallow based soaps. It seems, however, the heat melts off the glycerine faster than the tallow. Glycerine seems to last for about 2 months, tallow forever. I know soaps are cheap, but should I abandon this as it seems to be wasting a lot of my soap. When I pour off the water, placed in the mug, it seems there's a lot of soap loss from the glycerine, but not the tallow. Anyone else wither notice this or have the same problem?

Usually two to four months if used daily.

EDIT: If it makes you feel better, realize that you pay more for the tallow than for the glycerin. Also, glycerin soaps, unlike tallow soaps, can be scented very strongly (if that's your thing). I think most users would agree that glycerin soaps from Mama Bear's, Honeybee's, and the like are very worth it.

My prep involves pre-heating, with tap water, a small bowl in which is placed my shaving soap container. I then heat some hot water, to boiling, and replace the water in the bowl and poor enough over the soap to cover it. (Same sort of prep with the brush.) I do this for both glycerine and tallow based soaps. It seems, however, the heat melts off the glycerine faster than the tallow. Glycerine seems to last for about 2 months, tallow forever. I know soaps are cheap, but should I abandon this as it seems to be wasting a lot of my soap. When I pour off the water, placed in the mug, it seems there's a lot of soap loss from the glycerine, but not the tallow. Anyone else wither notice this or have the same problem?

The reason you're losing the glycerine soap so quickly is that you're literally melting it away with the boiling (or close to boiling) water! :eek: That's way too hot. I put a little hot tap water on it while I shower & that does the trick fine.

I think that if you stop using boiling water on your glycerine soaps you'll notice a big difference. That being said, the tallow soaps will last at least 2-3x as long as the glycerine ones.

Thanks, for the input. Of course, you realize you've given me a reason to cut down on my AD. As Snoopy would say, "Curse you, Red Baron(s)!"

If you're using the same soap regularly then you don't need to put any water on it at all. After the first few days it will have absorbed enough water to become soft and easy lathering. It's really only those first few days that soaps are annoying to lather.

If you don't waste them by boiling them or making a gallon of unused lather each day, then soaps will last an extremely long time. I've still got a few weeks left on a puck of Trumpers Limes that I started last May and have been using daily since.

Test drove my Col Conk Amber today. I just put about half a teaspoon of hot water and threw it out after 30 seconds. Closed the tin and went on with the shower. As I'm used to lathering with a barely wet brush (boar) I did the same with the conk. Didn't really have to pump the brush, just swirled it around oh about 7-9 times.

Face lathered and I got nice creamy, meringuey lather. BBS and no burns at all! :w00t:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
You can also "recycle" your lather ... when you are done shaving, just squeeze the remaining lather out of your brush and back into your soap container ... it'll whip back up into lather next time. This can help extend the life of a soap by a fair bit.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
you can also "recycle" your lather ... When you are done shaving, just squeeze the remaining lather out of your brush and back into your soap container ... It'll whip back up into lather next time. This can help extend the life of a soap by a fair bit.

+1

You can also "recycle" your lather ... when you are done shaving, just squeeze the remaining lather out of your brush and back into your soap container ... it'll whip back up into lather next time. This can help extend the life of a soap by a fair bit.

+1...excellent advice here! Great way to keep your soaps even longer and it does nothing to "water down" the scent.

Oh...and I'm a big fan of TGQ soaps. Desert Ironwood is my fav. Colleen has an order coming her way from me eventually for a full puck.

I used to put water on my soap but have stopped that practice without any problem. I just soak my brush for a couple of minutes, squeeze the brush and then go to the dry puck and have no problem whatsoever. Unless you are using a really floppy brush, then you should give this a try. I find my soaps last longer this way and the shaves are just as good.

Top Bottom