What's new

How long did your Merkur Progress (and other Merkurs) last?

Hi,

I've been thinking also about getting a Merkur progress. Never had an adjustable, I see people recommending them for daily shavers, and they look so deliciously German 50s I could eat one up. But - zamak. How long did you Merkur and other Merkurs you may own last before you had to replace them (considering normal use - not dropping them, not letting soap scum on for months and such).

Thanks.

I have a 70s Progress which gets regular use and is in great shape. I have an 80s Futur which has some pretty serious corrosion on the bottom plate which I swapped for a Q-Shave plate.

I unfortunately had my handle crack after about a year. Not sure if it was stress. Don’t think I ever dropped it. I loved the razor. I picked up a mergress a little while ago on BST and loving it. Feels like it will last a lifetime

I have been using my 34c daily since 2000.It replaced my Fatboy that I used since 1980.
Absolutely no problems.
I simply wipe it well with a towel everytime I change the blade (once per week).
It still looks brand new all shinny and nice.

I bought a Merkur 36 slant in the 70s. My son uses it regularly these days. No repairs or damage, some minor plating loss.

Zamac was used in firearms in the US. It is not by definition an inferior product, even though lesser qualities zamac exist. Apart from that, bakelite is a very durable material :)
Sure. All in the implementation. Apollo is decent, Rotbart pretty awful at least among stuff in my collection.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Hi,

I've been thinking also about getting a Merkur progress. Never had an adjustable, I see people recommending them for daily shavers, and they look so deliciously German 50s I could eat one up. But - zamak. How long did you Merkur and other Merkurs you may own last before you had to replace them (considering normal use - not dropping them, not letting soap scum on for months and such).

Thanks.
Treat it right and it will outlast you. Kinda like wives.

I have a Merkur Progress that I bought about 25 years ago and up until recently used daily. I'm more interested in single-edge shaves these days but the razor is still going strong. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new one.

The retention c ring in the shaft of my 38r broke in half after about 7 years or daily shaving. This ring keeps the knob section from falling out the backside of 2 piece razors.
Luckily, I was able to get a replacement ring from Tekichi. Now, the link doesn’t work???

The retention c ring in the shaft of my 38r broke in half after about 7 years or daily shaving. This ring keeps the knob section from falling out the backside of 2 piece razors.
Luckily, I was able to get a replacement ring from Tekichi. Now, the link doesn’t work???
eBay store still there.

Mine still look brand new after a good wash, my oldest (38c) is about 10 years old now.

Still have my first razor from when i was a young lad, the Gillette trac, the handle of it anyway.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I didn't think they would be Zamak (?)
You bet! Merkur has been using zamak for a long time. Some people think that the zamak in vintage Merkurs is a superior alloy to what they use now. But I don’t know. My 4-year old Sledgehammer is great.

Top Bottom