What's new

How long can we expect a highend synthetic brush to last?

I agree, toothbrushes are the best example of the longevity of synthetic fibers. And while we aren’t scrubbing as hard with a shaving brush, the bristles do take a beating. My oldest synthetic shaving brush is about five years old. It’s showing some wear but only in the sense that it has “bloomed” a little like a badger brush. Regardless, synthetic brushes are an outstanding value. Even your “high end“ synthetic was probably 1/2 the price of an equivalent badger brush. So I say, use that sucker and when/if it finally wears out, buy a new one.
Totally agree. My Badger brushes have their place but I feel my synthetic brushes are a super value and oh so soft.

I agree, toothbrushes are the best example of the longevity of synthetic fibers. And while we aren’t scrubbing as hard with a shaving brush, the bristles do take a beating. My oldest synthetic shaving brush is about five years old. It’s showing some wear but only in the sense that it has “bloomed” a little like a badger brush. Regardless, synthetic brushes are an outstanding value. Even your “high end“ synthetic was probably 1/2 the price of an equivalent badger brush. So I say, use that sucker and when/if it finally wears out, buy a new one.

I am not sure a toothbrush is a great example of longevity of synthetic fibers. They are designed to have back bone and a lot of scrub. When the bristles of a toothbrush start to splay, it is time to replace it.

If you have a shaving brush that does not splay, then you have a scrub brush, not a shaving brush. However, just like applying excess pressure to a tooth brush will lead to an early demise, smashing a synthetic brush into your soap or face will hasten its demise. However, natural hair and bristle brushes won't fair well with that sort of treatment, either.

BTW in a few hours you can get the 26mm Timber Wolf by Yaqi for around 9$ shipped due to a special sell out day or sth at aliexpress.

Top Bottom