What's new

How long before trying a slant?

Just wondering if anyone started using a slant bar razor early on in their DE shaving. I have only been DE shaving for about a month now and after finding the "right" blades it has been a dream. I am using a Murker HD with Crystal and Feather blades and since starting I have yet to have any irratation or any problems other than 2 very small nicks on my lower neck area. I am pushing 50 years old and have a somewhat tough beard growth, I am currently using 3 passes with good results. I have read alot of good things about the Merkur 39C and want to try it but dont know if I should try it this early in the game or not.

Danny

My first razor was a Merkur 34C HD. After about 6 weeks of loving it (I also really liked Crystal blades, as well as Astra SP) I took the plunge and bought a 39C. I have loved it since the word go and never looked back. That was just 5 or 6 weeks ago, we're on about the same timeline! I say get it and good luck!

You must wait 2 months and 17 days when the moon is at it's highest position. :001_tongu

No, try it if you want. I find my slant to be very mild and comfortable, yet incredibly effective.

I started DE shaving in July of 2013 with a Merkur 47C long handle razor, a pretty mild razor. By the middle of October I had acquired an Edwin Jagger DE-89L and a Merkur 1904 closed comb. When November rolled around I pulled the trigger and purchased a 37C and haven't regretted it. I don't think of it as aggressive so much as efficient.

If you feel that your technique is good then by all means go for it. It's a great razor.

I don't think the Merkur Slant is any more aggressive than the Merkur 33 or Jagger 89. On me the Merkur Bakelite is the most aggressive Merkur, and something to be wary of.
Regards,
Renato

Thanks, you just see so many say how "aggressive" it is and it sometimes seems to be made to believe that you need to be "very experienced" before trying a slant bar. I was thinking with my beard growth and good progress so far with my HD that I might enjoy the 39C. Not only the heavy growth probably being cut a little more effecient I think I might like the longer handle a little more than my HD. I think I'll pull the trigger and go ahead and get one, if I do find it a little much right now I can always go back to it later.

Danny

I've been doing some research to figure out if I'd go with the 39C. 3 months DE shaving, started off with EJ89, didn't like it so got a 23C. But now I find that it's not performing as well as I thought it would even if I use Shark or Astra blades.

I was wondering which razor I'd get, 38C barber pole, 39C or a Muhle R41 or R89.

The only con I have with Merkur is the finish of their razors which could be better.

I thought about getting one early on, but I was happy with the Fat Boy I had been PIFed. Three years later I have a CJB and a 2011 R41 in my rotation, so I may not need one after all.

I started DE-shaving with the Merkur slant. No problem. I bought other safety razors over the years just to find out that the Merkur is the best razor for me.

I don't find slants aggressive in any sort of rough way.
I don't either. I waited way too long, almost a year and half DE/SE shaving, before I tried one. All I heard were horror stories of how aggressive and blood letting they are. I started with a Merkur 37C, and have loved slant shaving ever since. Very smooth and efficient razors. I've never tried the 39C, but have used an iKon, Hoffritz, Apollo, and the 37C.
Good luck!!

Many people get aggressive mixed up with efficient. Even in his tutor video Geofatboy warns that you have to be very experienced before you try one. Not so. A Merkur slant is very efficient but smooth.

My 39C isn't as aggressive as my Mergress set to 3, yet delivers a smoother shave. If you're thinking about buying one (the 39C) go for it.

well I waited 10 years :). That said... I would say after you get a good technique established (4-8 weeks) a slant would be no problem. The 37C is a great performer, and inexpensive (when compared to something like an Ikon).

Just wondering if anyone started using a slant bar razor early on in their DE shaving. I have only been DE shaving for about a month now and after finding the "right" blades it has been a dream. I am using a Murker HD with Crystal and Feather blades and since starting I have yet to have any irratation or any problems other than 2 very small nicks on my lower neck area. I am pushing 50 years old and have a somewhat tough beard growth, I am currently using 3 passes with good results. I have read alot of good things about the Merkur 39C and want to try it but dont know if I should try it this early in the game or not.

Danny

Wait until you are 100% confident in your routine first. I made the mistake of diving in early before being ready and I had a rough go of it. Everyone is different and having a dozen razors in the den is not necessarily for everyone.

Lately, I keep going back to my 59' Fat Boy because I have customized my shave routing to match growth patterns and facial quadrants. I can get an irritation free shave on my neck, ATG with a certain setting on my Fat Boy. I cannot say the same with a Slant.

Best regards,

Frank

Top Bottom