What's new

How long after starting DE, to consider straights?

I started DE shaving a month ago and things have gone pretty well. I still get some razor burn in a couple areas which tells me I need to adjust my technique in these areas. I'm getting there.

I'm considering a straight but am wondering what my timing should be and what type of razor I start with.

There really is no timetable or schedule of events to pass through to transition from DE to straight shaving. Many of us did start out with DEs, but there are some here who went straight to...well...straights. There is some degree of skill transfer, but that may have more to do with other aspects of wet shaving, such as mapping your beard, making quality lather, etc.

As far as what to start with - I recommend Larry at Whipped Dog. You can get the entire starter package (straight and strop) for $50. The razor won't be a beauty queen, but you won't cry too much if you find out straights aren't for you, and you can probably recover some of that cost on the BST. Another option is to check out the Hobbyist/Vendor section, where you can pick up a modified/shave ready Gold Dollar, again for a very reasonable price. The take away here is that you probably want to keep it simple to start, since you already have a steep learning curve with SR shaving!

FWIW, I started SR shaving about 3 months after picking up a DE

No time line at all. I'm sure when you're ready you'll know it. After that just jump right in. Of course be sure to checkout all the info. available here at B&B.

Ha! When I started with a DE, I swore to myself I'd wait a minimum of a year before even considering the straight razor option.

My "year" lasted about six months, and then I ordered a Dovo BQ. Straights are so shiny and inviting...

I've been using a DE for about 2 years and just ordered my first straight from Whipped Dog. I actually found B&B because I was researching straights, but found DEs to be another option. I haven't opened my straight yet. My wife got it for my birthday and I have 2 weeks to wait. A very long two weeks :glare:

I started straight shaving 6 months ago. De shaving only 3 months ago. I've used the de all if 4 times, but they were 4 of my closest shaves (including today: Palmolive cream--I always use soap--, no brush, 1 ATG pass. It's my speed-shave setup. Mostly BBS's with a couple small dfs areas on my neck, no irritation).

If I can get that good of results with that little effort or practice with a de, why do I keep shaving with a straight? Cause I love the whole process!

Last edited:
Top Bottom