What's new

How is this possible? 1st ever straight razor shave= better results, less nicks than my DE razor

You shouldn’t regret for an instant starting off with an Aust, nice razor and they do come honed. An Aust is actually a smart decision for a first razor IMHO.
Yeah now that I have had time with it, super happy with the quality, and my gold dollar razor just came in today as my practice razor, and comparing the two, what a difference in fit and finish.

edit: on a sidenote, I had my first decent shaves with the DE as well this week too for the first time! I cant exactly pinpoint why, but it may be 1) the new pack of astra blades vs the intial sample rockwell blades. 2) I am using less pressure/better technique?
Buuuuuuut, I still prefer the SR shave and still getting less irritation from the SR! but I am glad DE shaving isnt such a failure anymore.

Last edited:
Yeah now that I have had time with it, super happy with the quality, and my gold dollar razor just came in today as my practice razor, and comparing the two, what a difference in fit and finish.

edit: on a sidenote, I had my first decent shaves with the DE as well this week too for the first time! I cant exactly pinpoint why, but it may be 1) the new pack of astra blades vs the intial sample rockwell blades. 2) I am using less pressure/better technique?
Buuuuuuut, I still prefer the SR shave and still getting less irritation from the SR! but I am glad DE shaving isnt such a failure anymore.
I'd put my money on those Rockwell blades, they are absolutely terrible IMO. It's tough to go wrong with Astra (either variety). Your technique is probably getting better too.

Glad you're getting good SR shaves. The satisfaction from using a straight is off the charts compared to a DE shave.

You did well, both by buying that Ralf Aust and by switching to a straight razor. I also did the same thing. I'm around 200 shaves, now, and prefer this to all other shaving methods. I very occasionally use a Henson DE razor, but all others I have forsaken. Oh, and I've given myself exactly 1 minor cut and 4 nicks since I started.

I nicked up a decent strop a little. I learned slow and precise is best, with not too much pressure. Don't let the spine lift off of the strop. Just turn the blade over.

Responding to the original subject line: I found right away that straight razors give a less irritating shave than any other blade type shaving. I won't mention electric razors, since now I realize they never really gave a good shave.

After more then 10 years of straight razor shaving i still use my de razors. I also combine straight razor shaves with de shaves sometimes. When you include the same principles that apply for a good straight razor shave to your de shave, like skin stretching, beard prepping and a good hydrated lather, angle control, a de shave is quite nice.
My beard growth in some areas makes it difficult for a straight razor to get really close. It is nice to have a de razor to save some time and get those difficult areas. Going sideways under my chin with my left non dominant hand to be able to against the grain is not something i will be able to master.

To answer your initial question, it is very possible to have fewer nicks and cuts with a straight razor because you have more (better) control. With a cartridge, the angle of attack is fixed. With a SR, you vary the angle for different parts of your face. Even with an adjustable Fat Boy, you do not want to be clicking for different exposures throughout the shave.

To summarize, I bought a styptic pencil with my first straight razor a few years ago. I have never used the styptic pencil; it is still in its original packaging.

And, BTW, welcome!

I still enjoy my DE razors. I used one today, in fact. However, I prefer to use the straight razors, but I like to revisit my good DE razors from time to time for some variety and to keep my skills.

Reactions: JPO
Top Bottom