What's new

How is this lather? MWF and RR Plissoft brush

That's what I'm finding too. I was using a large boar brush before and this synth brush is new to me. I'm guessing the synth doesn't absorb the water I kept adding. I went back to boar brush this morning and this time the brush keep drinking all the water and I had to keep adding more. I'll get the hang of it eventually :)
Each unto their own but I do find MWF harder to master than every other cream, croap or soap I use.

As above, but also, when you get the small air bubbles out, and there’s a shimmery, sheen to the lather, put it on your face as thick or thin as you like

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question. I am new to using synthetic brush so here I am in the brushes forum.

I am still on the learning curve trying to understand what the goal is for lather. I mean I'm not sure when I am there already and should stop adding more water or if I want it to be dense like yogurt or fluffy like whipped egg whites or something totally different. I seem to get good shaves either way.

I took a picture - not sure how much you can tell from a picture but this is quite fluffy and soft and holds its shape but seems too airy to me. What is the action or method to work the air out? Or is that too late and I should have done something different to never get the air in there in the first place?
View attachment 1583973
Hi AndyPanda,

First, per the many earlier posts in this thread, see if it works for you as that is what matters. That said the lather looks a bit like the proto lather that I initially build directly on the Mitchell's Wool Fat (MWF) puck. I then complete the process via face lathering. MWF works best for me in a thicker and wetter lather. Two suggestions:

• See if you can further build the lather via face lathering perhaps adding some small amounts of water. Will only work if you have sufficient MWF soap incorporated into your lather.
  • If that does not work try building the lather directly on the puck (I start with a dry puck). My process includes loading/building protolather for about 40 seconds on a dry puck in a 4" tall container (photo below). I use a large boar brush (similar to you) (Razorock Blondie/Zenith 80N 26mm x 63mm knot) that has been soaked in warm water for at least 2 minutes. This pulls a lot of soap off the puck (1+ grams, 60 seconds and almost 2 grams) that easily blooms to rich and slick lather when I then face lather adding small amounts of water to get the desired slickness.
Others have had good success with synthetic brushes. My issue prior to my last MWF shave was with 60 seconds of loading too much soap (2 grams) was getting pulled off the puck. More than I needed. A 40 second load/build on my last shave got it down to the right level. Plan to try one of my synthetics next as a number of fellow B&Bers have had good success using those on MWF. Will use a similar technique with the boar though timing of the water additions may need to be different.

Once you get MWF dialed in it's worth the effort as the lather is some of the best I generate from any of my soaps and creams. Same for many others.

Hope this helps, good luck!

... What is the action or method to work the air out?...
At that stage take it and finish to build the lather on face. One more minute on face is when magic happens. In my limited experience.

...Or is that too late and I should have done something different to never get the air in there in the first place?
I don't think it is too late. Certainly stop trying to achieve perfect MWF lather in the bowl. Load more soap and finish lather on face for about a minute.
Good luck.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question. I am new to using synthetic brush so here I am in the brushes forum.

I am still on the learning curve trying to understand what the goal is for lather. I mean I'm not sure when I am there already and should stop adding more water or if I want it to be dense like yogurt or fluffy like whipped egg whites or something totally different. I seem to get good shaves either way.

I took a picture - not sure how much you can tell from a picture but this is quite fluffy and soft and holds its shape but seems too airy to me. What is the action or method to work the air out? Or is that too late and I should have done something different to never get the air in there in the first place?
View attachment 1583973

Top Bottom