What's new

how is the razorock old type razor?

for those that have used this razor, do you like it? is it mild or aggressive? give me your thoughts on this razor.

thanks

I like it a lot. I never shaved with a Gillette Old, but I have a couple of News and the RR is slightly more aggressive but also very efficient. I bought the Maggard OC and the RR Old Type at the same time and sold the Maggard shortly after comparing the two. If you are looking into trying out an OC, you can't beat the price for the head only option and you will not be disappointed by the shave.

I have a RR Old Type which I absolutely love. It was only $15 yet it is easily one of my favorite razors. It is mild to medium in aggression, mild enough that it worked for me even just a couple weeks into DE shaving. It is medium in aggression but very efficient. Because of the RR OLD Type OC I have just ordered two more open comb razors to see if I am an open comb fan (thanks to the RR OLD Type) or if I just love that razor.

I like it, especially for the price.
I bought one for my son because he often goes days or weeks without shaving and with the open comb it sails right through whatever he's got growing. He likes that it's easy to rinse too. (He was using disposables before.)

As far as aggression goes, it might compare to a Slim set to 6 or thereabouts.
Mine is actually a RazoRock OLD Type Head on their Barber Pole Stainless handle (70 g, 85 mm long), but it's close to the default handle (which is 70 g, 95.3 mm long)

I have one on order. My only reference is the OC half on my adventurer, and a slightly tamer option woukd be very welcome.
Of course, only after my FFFM is over...

I love mine!!!! I would get the head only and use the handle of your choice.

I use a Merkur handle.

100_1951.JPG
100_1986.JPG

the head looks very nice. would the head fit most handles you think? I have a maggards mr 5 handle. How aggressive would you say the razorock old new is in your experience? how many passes for a bbs shave with this razor?

Almost all aftermarket handles will fit, so I assume the mr 5 will. Medium aggression, maybe, but very smooth, efficient, and user friendly, two passes with a good blade.

Almost all aftermarket handles will fit, so I assume the mr 5 will. Medium aggression, maybe, but very smooth, efficient, and user friendly, two passes with a good blade.

A machinist friend of mine is working on duplicating an Old Type handle in solid brass. Here is my question; is the RR head heavier or the same weight as the original Old Type head? Also does the RR head come in gold?

I have two Gillette Old Types. One made in USA and the other made in Canada. I really don't notice any difference as they both seem to be fairly aggressive. I also have the Razorock Old Type head on a Ikon Bulldog handle. I absolutely love it and it has become my daily shaver. I actually bought two heads since they are made of zamak and won't last forever. Things that I tend to like seem to end up being discontinued for some reason. So I have one spare. The Razorock Old Type is more mild than the Gillette versions but still gives a nice close and efficient shave. I imagine most handled will accommodate the head. Awesome razor.

IMG_0240.JPG
IMG_0241.JPG

I have two Gillette Old Types. One made in USA and the other made in Canada. I really don't notice any difference as they both seem to be fairly aggressive. I also have the Razorock Old Type head on a Ikon Bulldog handle. I absolutely love it and it has become my daily shaver. I actually bought two heads since they are made of zamak and won't last forever. Things that I tend to like seem to end up being discontinued for some reason. So I have one spare. The Razorock Old Type is more mild than the Gillette versions but still gives a nice close and efficient shave. I imagine most handled will accommodate the head. Awesome razor.

View attachment 774360 View attachment 774361

That's very encouraging. I'm liking the OC more than I thought I would and have a very sweet stainless handle.

I have one on order. My only reference is the OC half on my adventurer, and a slightly tamer option woukd be very welcome.
I have the Fendrihan "Scientist" model (same head as the Adventurer) and a RR OLD Type, and now I rarely use the Scientist. The RR is somewhat milder than the Scientist, and I like it much better. It's about half-way between the Scientist and my Long-Comb NEW. Maybe as aggressive as a Slim Adjustable on 6?
I use it for about 25% of my shaves.

Waitaminnit - there's Zamak at the Toby house??? Who are you and what have you done with the real Toby ;-)

:lol1: Yes, I have some, the RR OT, an EJ DE89, and a couple of Star DEs with zamak caps, and two no-name razors, oh, and a Tech from the late '60's with the bevel edged cap. My Pearl now wears a brass cap. Truth be known, I didn't buy any of them, some were pifs, some were gifts, and the Tech was my old man's. Skeletons in the closet! :w00t: :001_tongu

Top Bottom