What's new

How is a brush supposed to fit in a brush stand?

I have a Rooney 1/1 brush and recently got a Col Conk model 775 stand as seen here:

proxy.php

I'm surprised the brush opening is not big enough to hold the brush by the handle, instead I have to put the brush in so that it's held right where the hair meets the handle which looks a little weird for such a small brush.

Is this the proper way to fit a brush in a stand?

Whiskers, it varies as you have found out. There is no "one size fits all" brush stand, so you end up hanging your brushes in a couple of different ways. I prefer to hang most of my brushes by the handle, but many of my brushes are too large in diameter to do this. For these, I end up hanging them at the junction of the handle and the loft. Either way is, of course, acceptable and "proper" in the far-gone world of shavegeekdom.

I feel your pain. As a vendor who has struggled with just this problem for years, this is why we are very careful to specify on our site specifically which of the brushes that we sell fit each stand. This particular stand is extremely limited as to what it will accommodate in both the brush and the razor fork. Fortunately, we now have available another alternative that fits a wider variety of brushes and DE razors. It only took me 5 years to get these stands and I had to develop them myself. :001_smile I still have to go back to the manufacturer in January and get one more variation made for the really, really big ones that Lynn likes....Those $600 Plissons that he use to clean his truck tires. :ohmy:

I have this exact same stand.
I made some "adjustments" to the stand so that it accommodates my 10098.
Just give it a few tweaks and make it your own.

Jim:

From your site, for someone who has a Rooney 1/1 and also another brush with the very bottom of base diameter of 35mm (Shavemac 177 23mm knot), which stand would you recommend S-M or M-L? I'm also thinking of maybe getting a Rooney 3/1 which has a thinner handle. It's probably going to be hard to find 1 stand that can work with all 3 brushes.

I have 2 of those stands! One holds my Rooney 2, which of course fits perfect cuz Jim told me that it does. The other I bought for my old Colonel Conk brush and it doesnt fit the handle, bummer.

I thought about "modifying" it by bending the prongs out, but I thought I would mess it up! I just hang it by the knot, but it looks weird, IMO, to me.

I was thinking of getting another brush to fit the stand, haha.

Anyone know of a medium/large brush that will fit this stand (hang by the end of the handle)?

I am looking for 23-24mm knot and 50+mm loft.

Any tips on how to adjust it without damaging it?

I just took a towel and wrapped it around each side, 1 at a time and used a pair of pliars to enlarge the opening.
I did this gently and checked the fit everytime I made an adjustment until I was satisfied with the results.

I have to second VintageBlades and give props, just got my second order from them due to the explaintions of the brushes which fit guides. They do measure the stands best as possible. I use their BS10 something stand, for M-L brushes and it fit my TH Rooney Style 1, Large. I hang it by the place were the brush handle and loft meet. I have a TH Rooney 1/1 and it fits on the Col Conk the same way, but I use TH's stand which is universal (they say, for their brushes), and I keep my 1st Vulfix 2233 in the col conk stand which appears to have been designed for it with a special notch. I have a problem with razors being kept in stands, my 39C slant fits well on the col conk stand now, and my 38C does ok on the large BS10XXX stand. The TH stand also hangs the brushes btw the handle and loft so I guess it's ok.

Thank you for the kind words Dema. You should know that, with the exception of our acrylic drip stands, all of our brush and razor stands are designed to hold the shaving brush at what I call the "waist", or the narrowest part of the handle near the base when inverted. We will continue to list compatibility of our stands with the brushes that we sell. However we can make no guarantee as to the how they will work with brushes other than those listed.

Last edited:
However we can make no guarantee as to the how they will work with brushes other than those listed.

Jim, I look at the knot size since I don't mind hanging the brush that way. The handles are nearly infinite in variety. Good luck to anyone looking for that perfect fit; it's elusive, no?

I'm lucky. My housemate is one of those amazing Renaissance men who is an electrical engineer, computer gorilla, fine guitarist, and woodworker. he was helping his GF with some emergency repairs at her place and went into the basement. He found a hunk of pine and crafted for me a stand that holds either of my brushes and one DE razor. Custom-made! :w00t:

Top Bottom