What's new

How Important is the Brush Handle?

Impressive flock of Eagles, I have three myself in three different grades of badger. My favorite handle of all, though I also find the beehive sweet as well.

I consider that a qualified recommendation from another Eagle fan. I'll just saunter over to shavemac and see what Bernd might be able to whip up with a beehive. (Anything I want - I know!)

I think the handle is extremely important for a completely different reason than the knot's importance.

With the handle, the shape can be critical as you get older and/or develop arthritis in your fingers or hand. I have some handles that are somewhat difficult to use with the arthritis in my thumbs because they're skinny and hard to hold without aggravating the arthritis. Bigger handles are much better.

The handle on the brush in my avatar is a brush I had custom made from the maple top to a vintage 16-ounce English Leather bottle. It works really well.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I think the handle is extremely important for a completely different reason than the knot's importance.

With the handle, the shape can be critical as you get older and/or develop arthritis in your fingers or hand. I have some handles that are somewhat difficult to use with the arthritis in my thumbs because they're skinny and hard to hold without aggravating the arthritis. Bigger handles are much better.

The handle on the brush in my avatar is a brush I had custom made from the maple top to a vintage 16-ounce English Leather bottle. It works really well.
Ingenious!

Id say its fairly important and the handle is what connects you to the brush knot. Im not sure that Id say its quite as important on a shaving brush as it is on a knife (because precision is more important with a knife than it is with a shaving brush) but it certainly plays a role.

I consider that a qualified recommendation from another Eagle fan. I'll just saunter over to shavemac and see what Bernd might be able to whip up with a beehive. (Anything I want - I know!)
Shavemacs are wonderful, Thater (also wonderful) uses the same beehive handle also which is what I have in a two band and a couple of boars. Shavemac is the future I'm looking forward to, I hope Bernd creates a beauty for you.

Sal Glesser, owner of Spyderco knives, once said the handle of the knife is more important than the blade. Is the handle of the brush more important than the knot? I recently switched from a Semogue 830 to a Semogue 1800; and the difference in the brush handle for me at least was striking (bristles on both very similar). I never previously paid as much attention to the handle; wish I had years ago.

Sal Glesser, owner of Spyderco knives, once said the handle of the knife is more important than the blade. Is the handle of the brush more important than the knot? I recently switched from a Semogue 830 to a Semogue 1800; and the difference in the brush handle for me at least was striking (bristles on both very similar). I never previously paid as much attention to the handle; wish I had years ago.

Ergonomics do matter, but most of the cheap boar brushes that I normally tend to, are very good on that department. I don't care about the material. Plastic suits me fine, though all else being equal I'd rather have an acrylic or a wooden one.

I am happily using an 830 and a SOC that has a handle similar to the 1800. I face lather and between the two I slightly prefer the handle of the 830.

I learned early on that the handle size and shape is critical for me. I can't get a good grip on a handle that's too small.

Handle shape as well as quality of material , and weight as well for that matter , all have to be right for me to purchase a brush. I won’t use light cheap material , I won’t use odd shapes. For me I like a M7 style or barbershop I guess you could call that genre , and a CH/Stubby style brush are what I prefer.

They are both important. A great handle with a trash knot is a trash brush and visa versa. I really enjoy my Omega 599 but I would enjoy it more with a longer handle. There are some brushes that are so nice because both are nearly perfect.

Absolutely, handles are important.
They need to be functional and a joy to look at.
A few examples of natural material (antler & horn) and Rudy's craftmanship to turn them into handles:
1572353514285.png

Obviously without a great knot the handle is worthless.
It's the knot that is "in your face" literally. :biggrin1:

Top Bottom