What's new

How important is having a container top for your shave soap or grated shave stick?

Had a great shave last evening after I grated and pressed a Tabac shave stick into an an Old Spice shave mug. It was my first time and I used a Pyrex bowl grater with the larger and smaller grates and it worked perfectly. Was particularly surprised as the shave stick shaving process initially irritated my face. But as a mug soap, it was wonderful, a favorite. Just ordered the AS.

So I'm excited to be able to grate shave sticks to try smaller amounts of certain soaps. But I've noticed some of the other soaps have tops either wooden, screw on metal to a glass jar, etc.

How important is this top to the soap in your shave mug? Am I losing precious scent or moisturizing capacities? Or doesn't it matter? Please help me down this path of shave soaps.

My 3+ year old bowl of Tabac still smells plenty strong so I guess even the loose fitting cap does help. As far as mugs, if the soap has a strong scent I cover the mug with some clingy plastic wrap. My purpose is to keep the scent of uncovered soaps from taking over the drawer. If the soap doesn't have much scent I leave it uncovered.

Never thought about the smell taking over the cabinet or mixing with other scents. I could throw it in a ziplock.

You can also turn the bowl/mug over and sit it on a paper tissue. That way, it can dry a bit but is still protected from dust and probably will keep its scent longer.

I've burned through many pucks in my old spice mug which does not have a lid. I haven't noticed anything off whatsoever in the couple years I've used it.

I don't think it's important at all. One of my soap containers has a lid. I specifically bought it that way so that I could throw it in my travel bag. But for home use, it doesn't make a difference to me. I briefly thought about making a wooden lid for my Old Spice mug that's a replica of my favorite fly reel, but that would be just for kicks.

If it's a puck you're regularly using for your regular shaving schedule, I'd say that a lid not important at all. I've been at this for about 5 months now and my pucks have remained uncovered since day 1 with no ill effects whatsoever. I've read about concerns that soaps will tend to lose their scent if left uncovered. That hasn't yet been my experience, my soaps have retained their scent until the very end. If you're switching around soaps all the time where it's often going to be sitting on the shelf unused then a lid may be desirable to keep it clean between uses.

I believe it depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If you're using a hard soap and a reasonably dry brush and trying to retain the scent, then covering makes a good deal of sense.

If you're using a softer soap or a wetter brush, then leaving the soap un-topped so any remaining water can evaporate and the soap can harden up a bit between shaves is probably the way to go.

I don't cover my soaps. I did recently discover that my Proraso container will stack nicely on top of my mugs to save space but I don't think it seals tight enough to make a difference.

Top Bottom