What's new

How I Manage Excess Lather

While cleaning up after shaving, I always squeeze my brush into an old hair fiber (fancy term for pomade) jar.

When I get ready for my next shave, I pour the water I used to bloom my soap into the same jar (before loading my brush up with soap). I then mix the leftover lather with the bloom water and use that as a preshave-protolather (which I then apply before each round of face lathering), as well as to add water to my brush when lathering.

After shaving (but before cleaning up my tools), I use whatever's left in the jar to wash my face and neck completely. Once I've washed off the soap and toweled dry, I squeeze the excess lather into the jar, in preparation for my next shave.

Does anyone else do something similar?

I use primarily harder soaps and face lather. I don't bloom my pucks and whatever's left on the puck stays there without rinsing. I'll squeeze out what's left in the brush on my last pass and put it on my face, rinsing the brush and my face clean after I'm done with that pass, and down the drain it goes.

if what you're doing works for you, you do you.

For soap pucks in vintage milk glass shave mugs, I squeeze out the excess lather from the brush, push it back on the mug in the mug and put it up to air dry. For some croaps which come in tight containers with no space on top, I cautiously lather, so that not much is left over once I am done with the shave, the rest has to go in to the sink :(

After my shave, I squeeze the lather from my brush back into my lather bowl for my next shave. It whips right up into a good as new lather for the next time. You are smart to get every bit of your use out of your soap. I can never understand why some people use so much soap, make so much lather and then flush it down the sink. On the other hand, it's their money and their business....

While cleaning up after shaving, I always squeeze my brush into an old hair fiber (fancy term for pomade) jar.

When I get ready for my next shave, I pour the water I used to bloom my soap into the same jar (before loading my brush up with soap). I then mix the leftover lather with the bloom water and use that as a preshave-protolather (which I then apply before each round of face lathering), as well as to add water to my brush when lathering.

After shaving (but before cleaning up my tools), I use whatever's left in the jar to wash my face and neck completely. Once I've washed off the soap and toweled dry, I squeeze the excess lather into the jar, in preparation for my next shave.

Does anyone else do something similar?
I use the leftover foam to wash my face and neck. There's some good ingredients in these soaps. Why waste it? By the way, I've been wet shaving for a while and so far am pretty good with estimating how much product to use, whether I face or bowl lather, so as to ensure I'm not using too much.

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Interesting. Any "excess" lather I have is not so much "excess" for me. After I hit my face with alum and cleaning up my other gear I use rinse my face and use the "excess" lather to wash my face again and my hands. I also use it to clean my glasses to help cut down on fogging.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I wonder if this is bad for the brush if done daily.

In years gone by most men I suspect had just one brush which they used every day without allowing it to dry between uses, and kept it in the mug ready for use; their brushes seemed to last for years. That said, I would not choose to do that with my own brushes. Conventional wisdom is that the brush should fully dry between uses but as with everything opinions will differ. Most of us have more than one brush so it is not necessary.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
To answer the OP I normally shower after shaving so rub any excess lather into my face, scalp, and body before doing so as the lather contains many ingredients which are beneficial to the skin. If my wife is about to have a shower then I rub the excess lather into her body whilst explaining that it is for her benefit 👍

I wonder if this is bad for the brush if done daily.
I have heard of others doing this. No mention of brush degradation, but no mention of actual longevity either. I use a cheap VDH brush that I have had for a good many years. I think I will leave er in the mug for the next few years and see how she holds up.

My left over lather is squeezed out of my brush back into the mug. What is left on my hands after squeezing is rubbed on some dry areas of my skin and seems to help out in that respect. The next time I shave, I get s sink of hot water, get my brush wet, shake brush in mug, rewet brush and place in mug, place mug in hot sink of water. Shower. Pull soaked brush right out of old lather/bloom water and cover face, not actually lather just spread around face to cover. Go to mug and whip up desired lather. Into the shave we go.....

Ad Astra

The Instigator
After my shave, I squeeze the lather from my brush back into my lather bowl for my next shave. It whips right up into a good as new lather for the next time. You are smart to get every bit of your use out of your soap. I can never understand why some people use so much soap, make so much lather and then flush it down the sink. On the other hand, it's their money and their business....

I do the same, but to keep an excess of soap out of the drain and septic system.

Sometimes two soaps combine to make something worth doing on purpose! Lavender and lemon soaps, for example.

AA

I do the same, but to keep an excess of soap out of the drain and septic system.

Sometimes two soaps combine to make something worth doing on purpose! Lavender and lemon soaps, for example.

AA
Forgot to mention, in the bottom of my mug is always arko. When I use a different soap in my captains choice bowl, or a face lather, or whatever.... any and all soap lather goes right on top of the arko. And sometimes you do get an interesting development LOL

I squeeze the excess lather out of the brush and right down the drain it goes along with whatever is left in the bowl. I have way too many soaps to try and make them any last longer as BigJ mentions :001_tongu ...

Top Bottom