What's new

How I make my: Coffee

It was going so well until the final picture of the coffee in a stoneware mug!

I can only enjoy coffee from proper bone china...

Gareth

V

VR6ofpain

Looks like you also have the static electricity issue with the freshly ground coffee. Sometimes when I am scooping the ground coffee out of my grinders "basket" static electricity causes a bunch of ground coffee to climb up the sides and fly onto the counter. It is very annoying.

I like your ventilation setup. It reminds me of how ignorant I was when I first got into roasting coffee. I have a coffee roaster similar to yours but from Switzerland. During my first experience, I started roasting my coffee under the microwave with the fan turned on and all was well for a bit. The microwave fan was handling the smoke just fine. Then all of a sudden, there was a loud click in the coffee roaster and smoke started roaring out of the coffee roaster exhaust. Needless to say, the microwave fan was overwhelmed. Before you could say boo, there was three feet of smoke on the ceiling and all of the fire alarms in the house were blaring.
I threw open all of the windows in the house and smoke rolled from every window. Neighbors were coming out of their houses questioning whether my house was on fire; I live in a townhouse. I assured everyone that they did not need to call the fire department in between trying to fan the smoke out of the house.

OK, so my coffee turned out just fine but my house smelled like roasted coffee for about a week. Not a bad smell, but definitely different. So, the lesson learned is that a coffee roaster definitely needs ventilation... just in case you did not figure that out from my story.

Wait a second, I recognize that Rocky hopper lid "mod".

Visit H-B much?

Should we start a "Coffee Shrine" thread here? :cool:

Nice!

I don't have all that roasting stuff but do use a Yama -- an 8-cup, as I want to make enough for two people to have a second cup.

One suggestion: Don't bother with the separate kettle. I start with cold water right in the Yama and don't put the top part on until the water reaches the right temperature. I have been doing this for a fairly long time and the Yama glass is perfectly capable of boiling water from a cold start. I turn the stove to low/simmer at the time I set the filter assembly on top.

I used to get a little sloppy and, due to inattention, let the water boil. DON'T DO THIS. It produces a burnt/harsh brew. Probably best to err on the low side temperature-wise.

Oh yes, I have a gas stove. Not sure how well the glass will behave on an electric stove, even with the little wire "difuser" they supply with the Yama.

Bob

Nice Thread on your set up.

I don't have anything that elaborate.
I have the I-Roast2, and the Fresh Roast + as my home roasters.
I use the Capresso infinity burr grinder.
Brewing...French Press, Drip: Capresso CoffeeTeam Therm.
I am now considering adding to my collection thanks to threads like this a Vacuum coffee thingy...lol

I get my green beans primarily at Sweat Maria's or Coffee Bean Corral.
I like sweat Maria's because if the way they rate, and describe their coffee, and their roasting depth is pretty accurate.

Mmmmmmm..... Coffee. I love coffee!

I usually drink organic Peter Larsen which I grind myself and brew in a vintage enamel coffeepot or in a modern french press. It is amazing how the two diffrent methods gets something entirely diffrent out of the same kind of beans.

Here's a pic of my vintage setup:

proxy.php

And here's playing a little with effects:

proxy.php

I usually take my coffee with milk.

Regards.

Jakob

Scotto, I just purchased a home roaster and green coffee. Talking with the proprietor, he suggested letting the roasted beans sit uncovered in a bowl or glass jar for at least 12 hours to allow a gas exchange to happen. https://www.burmancoffee.com He says that the beans are then ready to grind and up to 12 days. But he feels that the roasted bean needs time before grinding. From your post I suspect that you disagree or have other opinions. Please elaborate.

Mark

Post-roast, a lot of carbon dioxide is going to come off the beans. If you put them in a sealed bag, you'll see it swell up. I generally use mason jars and seal them only loosely overnight to degas the beans, then seal normally.

If you grind and brew right after roasting, it will taste ok, but that CO2 will really affect the taste. 12 hours later is a sweet spot for aroma, IMO, and I think one of the most pleasurable cups you can have, especially with something like a Kenya which is so aromatic. Personally, after 5 days I can really taste things going downhill, and with the exception of espresso blends*, I don't keep things longer than 7 days.

A lot of people swear by resting beans for many days, but to me it is just staling them. If you like it, by all means go for it, but its not for me.

*Espresso I will leave alone 1-3 days post-roast at least, usually a tad more, otherwise you will have problems with the shot because of things being too gassy.

I'm reminded of something I heard on Fresh Air some weeks back. Terry Gross was interviewing Douglas Emlen about dung beetles and the conversation turned to cockroaches.

Professor Emlen shared an anecdote about traveling with another scientist years ago, who was a confirmed coffee addict. He insisted on going to coffee shops to buy his cups of coffee, which was often causing big detours in their trip. After confronting him over this, the elder professor explained that he had done years of research working with cockroaches, and that he had become quite allergic to the little beasts. He had to seek out specialty shops that ground their own beans on-site because bulk-ground coffee invariably aggravated his allergy. :eek:

*accept for the mug* But DAMN I have just barely gotten started on this forum and now I've been introduced to a whole new way of thinking. This is the manliest place on the internet. ROASTING YOUR OWN COFFEE AAAAAAH I'm going to get into so much debt if I keep reading on here.

This is the equivalent of some dude saying to you, yeah this is how I ride a motorcycle, and it turns out he's jesse james from west coast choppers. [insert S bomb here]

This is the manliest place on the internet. ROASTING YOUR OWN COFFEE AAAAAAH I'm going to get into so much debt if I keep reading on here.

+1
just roasted up some brazilian beija flor this morning

Top Bottom