What's new

How I compare different razors

The first thing I've learned in comparing different razors is to learn your face. My face
isn't overly sensitive but learning how your beard grows is very important. So for my
beard I shave 2 passes and a touchup. First pass north to south all over. Second pass
is south to north all over. The touchup is where it gets complicated. The jawline and
upper neck I do a jhook from the outside towards the inside hooking northward. The
lower part of the neck I do the same jhook but hook southward. This is all dictated by
the direction my particular beard grows. I haven't tried a whole lot of razors but I have my
favorites. Right now the 4 razors that will give me the best shave are . My Gillette New Deluxe,
Gillette New Improved, Gillette New Shortcomb and Muhle R41. The R41 has a lot more blade feel
to it. I use a Kai blade with all of them

I wish I had understood how important it is to know what direction your beard grows to achieve a close, comfortable shave when I first started. I spent several years chewing up both sides of my Adam's apple before I realized I needed to shave East/West first then South to North to get a good shave in that area.

Good advice to figure out your beard pattern.
It took me a few months of trial and error and, yeah, I nicked myself a few times in the interim. But my technique has gotten a lot better to the point where I consistently get great shaves regardless of the razor/blade/soap/shave cream combination on most days. I do emphasize most.
1) Pass 1: North to South
2) Pass 2: East to West
3) Pass 3: Touch-up phase. Usually South to North on the neck and a quick N to S on the right side by my goatee using the "blowfish" technique where I puff out my cheeks. :laugh:

I wish I had understood how important it is to know what direction your beard grows to achieve a close, comfortable shave when I first started. I spent several years chewing up both sides of my Adam's apple before I realized I needed to shave East/West first then South to North to get a good shave in that area.
So True...I have been in the hobby for 9 years. I decided to change up my shaving technique this year. I really focused on beard growth pattern and using more strait razor technique with my de razor. Also using the 4 pass technique in the beginners guide. Opened up my thoughts around beard reduction. I break my shave now in my mind into 2 parts the face and the neck. The growth patterns are very different for each area.

Top Bottom