What's new

How I came to accept and embrace canned foam.

Can someone walk me through the steps to making foam slick?
I have asked, with no response, SinatraLennon what he does to make his Barbasol to work so well for him.
Must be a trade secret lol.
I have had a much easier time making the gels into a slicker lather.
But when I get my hand wet and rub it into the foam, it removes it from my face, or just makes a runny lather that causes the blade to stick to my face.

I have asked, with no response, SinatraLennon what he does to make his Barbasol to work so well for him.
But when I get my hand wet and rub it into the foam, it removes it from my face, or just makes a runny lather that causes the blade to stick to my face.
Drip water in your hand and work it in little by little. Just like you would with a brush. Don’t be afraid to overdo it, it’s foam, you can always rinse and start again.

You’ll feel it when the slickness is right.

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
I squirt it into a bowl. I wet my brush and squeeze out all excess water. Then I add a little bit of water at a time and remix the lather in the bowl until I get the consistency I like. Note, however, that not all foams are the same in how they tolerate water. Gillette Foamy is pretty good straight out of the can. Adding too much water actually reduces its slickness, so add a little at a time. Barbasol, on the other hand, is very dry straight out of the can and benefits from larger amounts of water.

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
That's where I am. Either too sticky or too watery. I will pick up a can of Foamy and try it
Foamy is pretty good stuff and I find it superior to Barbasol. Check the date code on the bottom of the can and make sure the first four digits are 3191 or greater. Lower than this, it has that horrible Ax like scent. Greater than that, it has the original spicy and powdery scent.

It doesn’t need much water. Wet the face and apply “full strength” first. You may not need to change it much. It’s way less dry than Barbasol.

Only thing I remember was after a shower rewetting the face and just applying and working in the foam, I don't remember how slick it actually was since it has been 8 1/2 years. I will find out tomorrow I guess. I pulled out a brand new Bic sensitive twin razor and will grab one of those aged cans of Gillette Sensitive foam and will find out haw bad it used to be. I will make sure I have a DE ready for backup as I am wondering how bad those old twins will pull.

...All the while my 'fast' shaves with foam were just as good as my 'brush' shaves...
I can only deduct that your "brush shaves" really sucked.
...Foam mixed with a little water and proper DE technique, goes a long way...
Soap/cream mixed with little water and brush and proper DE technique goes all the way. To Nirvana.
...I'll be honest, I Iike the convenience and speed it offers me...
Honesty and personal satisfaction. All that matters. Good for you.

Top Bottom