What's new

How Hot??

Its 98 degrees here in the Big Apple, Queens actually, So what is everyone doing to keep cool today?

Goosemeplease said:
Its 98 degrees here in the Big Apple, Queens actually, So what is everyone doing to keep cool today?

I'd have to come visit to cool off! According to weather.com, it is 105 F. here in SLC today.

Randy

Well, In Ottawa it is 32 C (90F)... or, if you are a humidex fan it feels like 42 C (107F).

As for keeping cool... well, I'm not. I don't have AC just a couple of fans blowing the hot air around. Perhaps later I'll have a nice cold beer to see if THAT helps.

rtaylor61 said:
I'd have to come visit to cool off! According to weather.com, it is 105 F. here in SLC today.

Randy

Those are PHX temperatures, my condolensces. Although you still cool off at night. We are lucky to get back into the nineties. It's a bit odd to me that we have cooled a few degrees while the rest of the nation is cooking.
Cheers,
Jeff

I'm curious,

Is it "normal" for US weather to be reported in terms of "feels like" conditions (i.e. Humidex in the summer and wind-chill in the winter), or is this a Canada-only thing?

NMMB said:
I'm curious,

Is it "normal" for US weather to be reported in terms of "feels like" conditions (i.e. Humidex in the summer and wind-chill in the winter), or is this a Canada-only thing?

We call it a heat index but yes, we do that here also. One needs to take it with a grain of salt though. The point is to approximate how much more uncomfortable it is when humidity enters the picture. In reality the dew point is a better indicator IMO. If it is 80 degrees outside with 80% humidity but dewpoint is 40 degrees (like in the morning) it isn't really that bad. However, 80 degrees with 80% humidity and a dewpoint of 75 degrees (like in the afternoon) is death.
Cheers,
Jeff

jmhAZ said:
We call it a heat index but yes, we do that here also. One needs to take it with a grain of salt though. The point is to approximate how much more uncomfortable it is when humidity enters the picture. In reality the dew point is a better indicator IMO. If it is 80 degrees outside with 80% humidity but dewpoint is 40 degrees (like in the morning) it isn't really that bad. However, 80 degrees with 80% humidity and a dewpoint of 75 degrees (like in the afternoon) is death.
Cheers,
Jeff

Well, if people are reporting "feels like" temps (I think that "humidex" and "heat index" are actually the same thing) that tells me one thing... it is freakin' hot here in my part of the great white north today. Sounds to me like I should head to Florida, California, Arizona (or some other "warm" state) to feel a little cooler today.

As for "humidex"/"heat index", well, some days I think that this is a load of crap... but on days like today I understand how a "feels like" index can be useful (especially when it has been like this for a few days now).

NMMB said:
Well, if people are reporting "feels like" temps (I think that "humidex" and "heat index" are actually the same thing) that tells me one thing... it is freakin' hot here in my part of the great white north today. Sounds to me like I should head to Florida, California, Arizona (or some other "warm" state) to feel a little cooler today.

As for "humidex"/"heat index", well, some days I think that this is a load of crap... but on days like today I understand how a "feels like" index can be useful (especially when it has been like this for a few days now).

You should at least go somewhere with AC! Or maybe just the dairy section of the grocery store (Those places are always freakin' freezing!)

I just checked the data (I can't help it - I am bit of a nerd and I need data and/or info in order to really understand a situation - no, the chicks don't really dig this part of my personality disorder :001_smile :001_smile ) for the last few days here in Ottawa... this is the 3rd day in a row with a feel-like tems in excess of 38C (100F). Max feel-like temps for the past 3 days are as follows: Saturday - 39C (102F); Sunday - 40C (104F) and today 42C (108F)... so far, but it may still get warmer today.

roughrider said:
The weather here is bright and sunny today. High: 87° Low: 62°

HERE IS ?
Jim

Update just hit 100 degrees in the shade in my garden!

Just back from the post office. It is 96F and feels like 110! I am hiding in the AC for the rest of the day......lol

Thank God or whoever invented it for Air Conditioning!

Mama Bear

Top Bottom