What's new

How hot is too hot?

Today I had my first shave with my Georgetown Pottery Scuttle, and after nuking it for two minutes at 50% I had the best feeling putting that lather on my face. However, I really think it was too hot because the Proraso didn't last too long in the bowl and something felt off about my brush.

So how hot is too hot for you?

I use the hottest water available at the tap. It's quick, convenient, and enough to keep my lather warm throughout the shave. You could go much hotter (boiling) but it will likely have a negative impact on your lather

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I fill, both the inside and the bowl, with hot water from the tap twice, then soak my brush during my shower, and after the shower I exchange the water again with fresh hot water in the reservoir, shake my brush out and I am ready to go. Works fine and keeps my lather and brush nicely warm.

I use the hottest water available at the tap. It's quick, convenient, and enough to keep my lather warm throughout the shave. You could go much hotter (boiling) but it will likely have a negative impact on your lather

+1. So long as your water heater is set to a decent temperature, hot tap water is perfect.

I used my Georgetown daily. I found that 2 mins is too long to nuke the water.

Try 45 secs or so. Then, when you take it upstairs, dump the water, rinse out the inner bowl (the surface that the lather sits on) and refill with hot tap water.

Should do the trick (depending on how hot your tap water is!)

if the lather does degrade a little you can revive it with a tiny bit of water and a bit of a swish around with your brush

I have volcanic geothermal water, which is over 160 degrees. I use a bowl and float it in the sink with this very hot water. This gives me a nice, warm to hot lather, that if it wilts a bit, which I don't have much of a problem with, I just whip it back up. I whip up my lather before every pass.

I'm not too bothered about the lather, but am a bit worried about scalding my brush. Did that a little with one, leaving it in a stand on the radiator to dry. It did seems to rehydrate over the course of a week or so, but I've been careful since.

Top Bottom