What's new

How good (or bad) do we have it right now?

Shaving products have become artisan and at the same time now using modern production. Artisan products like soaps and brushes are better. Most artisan things are. Oh those beautiful smells.
The precision and beauty of modern razors is so alluring. Yeah 800 is outrageous for a razor, but is it too much for an intricacy machined indestructible piece of art that all most likely hold its value and may even appreciate?
Back in the 50s manufacturing had to produce for a huge generation. So it was often crank out products that lasted ok and functioned. It was task oriented.
Now task oriented shavers who have to get to work and don't want to get up 15 min early to shave all use carts.
DE shaving isn't about task now. It's about quality, and the appreciation of quality. The quality of the shave, your skin, and the equipment. As money wasting hobbies go. This sure has more I can sell this if I need to than say buying scratch off lottery or drinking craft beer or grilling a fancy steak.
The 150 a lb wagu steak sure is quality, but I can only eat it once and no one will by the leftovers. A Rochnel Sailor could be pawned in an emergency.
You make some very good points Olivia.

The problem is, I have to squeeze my shaving hobby into a budget that already funds my alcholism, gambling addiction and the steak issue. That's why I bargain hunt and go for the low-hanging fruit, razor wise.

Just last week I managed to snag a 1940's English Flat Bottom Tech, a nice 1953 English Rocket (not a HD though) and a Canadian late 30's Schick E-2 Injector all for £56 including shipping. Not bad at all.

I am quite modest, I like scoring nice razors in the wild for (fairly) reasonable prices.

Last edited:
You make some very good points Olivia.

The problem is, I have to squeeze my shaving hobby into a budget that already funds my alcholism, gambling addiction and the steak issue. That's why I bargain hunt and go for the low-hanging fruit, razor wise.

Just last week I managed to snag a 1940's English Flat Bottom Tech, a nice 1953 English Rocket (not a HD though) and a Schick E-2 Injector all for £56 including shipping. Not bad at all.

I am quite modest, I like bargain hunting nice razors in the wild for (fairly) modest prices.
That's fantastic. So just like art and fashion some like modern some like vintage.
Finding that rare piece and looking is so part of the fun.

I haven't been at this for long (On and off about 10 years ago) then full On about a year ago.
A decade ago I didn't see all the stuff that's available now. Now It's as if something new comes out every week!
I think it's great but all these new "artisan" designs are really expensive. I know they're small businesses but the bottom line is that the stuff is really overpriced. But of course, we buy it regardless!
I did a search this week for what a Fatboy or Slim should cost in todays money, based on what it cost back then.
About $13-$14!
And you look at the design, cases and the work that a vintage Gillette adjustable has and it makes you wonder:
A new crappy Gillette razor with a couple carts costs that much and it's junk in comparison to what they used to make.
And a new Blackland, ATT, Timeless, etc., which is quality is like $200 which is insane!
So I think we have it good because of choice but we're paying through the nose for that luxury!

I haven't been at this for long (On and off about 10 years ago) then full On about a year ago.
A decade ago I didn't see all the stuff that's available now. Now It's as if something new comes out every week!
I think it's great but all these new "artisan" designs are really expensive. I know they're small businesses but the bottom line is that the stuff is really overpriced. But of course, we buy it regardless!
I did a search this week for what a Fatboy or Slim should cost in todays money, based on what it cost back then.
About $13-$14!
And you look at the design, cases and the work that a vintage Gillette adjustable has and it makes you wonder:
A new crappy Gillette razor with a couple carts costs that much and it's junk in comparison to what they used to make.
And a new Blackland, ATT, Timeless, etc., which is quality is like $200 which is insane!
So I think we have it good because of choice but we're paying through the nose for that luxury!
Just ran an inflation calculator (who knows how accurate it is?) But a Gillette 195 AKA Fatboy that cost $1.95 in 1959 would be $19.85 in 2022 (maybe early 2022?) for a cumulative inflation rate of 918.1%!!!

I think I paid $40-50 for my '61 195 about 7-8 years ago, maybe longer! 8.5 out of 10 condition but no box or anything else.

Last edited:
Just ran an inflation calculator (who knows how accurate it is?) But a Gillette 195 AKA Fatboy that cost $1.95 in 1959 would be $19.85 in 2022 (maybe early 2022?) for a cumulative inflation rate of 918.1%!!!

I think I paid $40-50 for my '61 195 about 7-8 years ago, maybe longer! 8.5 out of 10 condition but no box or anything else.
Yep! Sounds about right!
I think the calculator I ran was off or I entered a wrong 1960's price. Either way, like I said, it's nuts what we pay for this stuff today!
Honestly, seems to make more sense paying $50 for an old Gillette than $200 for something new. At least the Gillette is vintage so I can kind of accept the higher than normal adjusted price. And prices for vintage are about the same because I paid $65 for a near mint 1959 (no case) 195 about a week ago.

Last edited:
Yep! Sounds about right!
I think the calculator I ran was off or I entered a wrong 1960's price. Either way, like I said, it's nuts what we pay for this stuff today!
Honestly, seems to make more sense paying $50 for an old Gillette than $200 for something new. At least the Gillette is vintage so I can kind of accept the higher than normal adjusted price. And prices for vintage are about the same because I paid $65 for a near mint 1959 (no case) 195 about a week ago.
I know I'd rather own the vintage razors than the new ones for the simple reason they work perfectly for me and even if I don't know their personal history, who owned them before me, etc., they have a history and, frankly, I like old things more than new. You should see our homes! Hell, I drive an almost 21 year old vehicle because I can't stand the new version and mine cost about a quarter of what they cost new (I bought it used as well).

Last edited:
I started shaving in the 1960s using canned goo and a hand-me-down Slim (that I wish I still had)!

These days we are lucky to have so much variety, vintage and modern, plus on-line merchants. To my eye things have never been so good!! :a29:

When I begin wet shaving, (1957), I was using my dad's Gillette blue tip, which is a fine razor. The blades, not so much. At least where I lived at the time, about all you could get, were Gillette blue blades, and Williams soap.
Yes, we certainly have it better today, at least shaving wise. 😏

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Great discussion topic, caught my eye, much like the Gillette Fatboy did when I first saw it. I started wet shaving back in March of this year with a Feather AS-D2 DE razor. While I enjoyed the quality of the razor, I didn't enjoy its ability to give me irritation, due to its super mild design, and trying to achieve a BBS shave. After that, I tried the Rex Ambassador, also high quality design, much better efficiency, but not the smoothest razor in the world. Then I got my Merkur Futur razor, a lower quality razor not being 316L stainless, but an overall smoother shaving razor in the end, that put it on top of the previous two for me.

Then I got my first Timeless titanium razor, which I really fell in love with, but, it was rough beginnings at the start, and took some getting used, and working on my technique a bit. But its a smooth shaving razor with a Wizamet blade in it for sure. Then I got into my Henson AL13 Medium razor for when I want to do quick shaves, and not think about my angle of attack and all that, its pretty mild though, only barely more efficient then my AS-D2!

But I can tell you hands down, when I paid 80-dollars to get my vintage 1959 E-3 Gillette 195 Fatboy Adjustable, I had no idea the quality of shave I was in for. I loaded the razor up with a Wizamet blade, and I literally received the smoothest shave I ever had, and managed to achieve it, with a full BBS without irritation. I had a couple alum stings sure, but no razor burn, no irritation, no razor burn, no nicks, no weepers, an overall complete BBS shave, that left me quite happy.

It was that moment that taught me that vintage was better, because Gillette already figured it all out. Once I made that realization in my brain, thats when I also realized, that modern razors are just trying to mimic, what was already successfully done, 60+ years ago. While I do not have any intention, on going deeper down the vintage rabbit hole, to buy more vintage razors, I will always hold the Gillette Fatboy close to my heart.

Pros about wetshaving today: the amount of products available today is truly staggering. Artisan and production soaps, razors, aftershaves, balms, you name it. You can't disregard the role of the internet in allowing us to enjoy our hobby to the fullest. Back in the day, you are pretty much relegated to what you could find locally.

Cons: availability is not what it once was for vintage items, and the cost of course has gone up tremendously.

Started with a Gillette black. Might have used a Trac II but quickly moved to the Atra and used one until sometime the 1990's. Used Sensor Excel and then back to DE. Alternated between DE, Atra, Sensor and Electric in the intervening years. Used several different razors including some electrics along the way.

The real change was when my lovely bride bought me a C&E brush, stand, and cream for our first Christmas.

Went thru the DE rad stage for a while. Mostly settled between DE, Excel, and occasional electric. Gave up the Atra last year with the decline in cartridge quality. Been on DE for the last few weeks. Was on Excel for a while before then. You get the point.

Definitely better now. So many choices these days and availability of information with the internet and access to products with online shopping. Still, we have lost something since Gillette left the DE adjustable market.
Sensor excel
Started with a Gillette black. Might have used a Trac II but quickly moved to the Atra and used one until sometime the 1990's. Used Sensor Excel and then back to DE. Alternated between DE, Atra, Sensor and Electric in the intervening years. Used several different razors including some electrics along the way.

The real change was when my lovely bride bought me a C&E brush, stand, and cream for our first Christmas.

Went thru the DE rad stage for a while. Mostly settled between DE, Excel, and occasional electric. Gave up the Atra last year with the decline in cartridge quality. Been on DE for the last few weeks. Was on Excel for a while before then. You get the point.

Definitely better now. So many choices these days and availability of information with the internet and access to products with online shopping. Still, we have lost something since Gillette left the DE adjustable market

The sensor excels taking us back

I spent fortunes and much time n discomfort faffin with razors in the 90’s - got sore as it were. .. subsequently I spent most of twenty years using clippers ( unless an occasion) .. I think the new stuff is definitely punchy price wise but I think we’ll chuffed that it works … I’m glad I changed to de with merkur 39 slant as first razor old school razor - I’ve got a straight tucked away waiting for some use when I get time to do the honing. Anyway all in I shave with relative ease by comparison to using the Mach whatever’s and canned foam ! These days I looked forward to the shave so happy dayz

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I was getting great shaves with my Fusion Power, truth be told. But I'm having fun now. I like that we have access to both Vintage and Modern razors... at varying price points and all at our fingertips. That is a double edged sword, of course. It's so easy to buy stuff now.

Add to that, I really enjoy the B&B forums. We have a great mix of people here.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I was getting great shaves with my Fusion Power, truth be told. But I'm having fun now. I like that we have access to both Vintage and Modern razors... at varying price points and all at our fingertips. That is a double edged sword, of course. It's so easy to buy stuff now.

Add to that, I really enjoy the B&B forums. We have a great mix of people here.
My first really good shave was from my Fatip SE. Only took me 50 years to figure it out.

~doug~

On the one hand we have it better today. The depth and breadth of choice is astounding. By and large we can find whatever razors, blades, brushes, soaps, aftershaves etc. that float our boat.

On the other hand, perhaps it was better "back in the day"?

There was no option paralysis, no FOMO and no RAD.... You had a razor, a brush and, more often than not, bought the same blades and soap every time.

Happy days I'd say 🙂

I think you have to go back more than 20-30 years to find another good period for shaving. 20-30 years ago you could buy cartridge razors or disposable razors or electric shavers, and if you wanted a DE razor they weren’t abundant and there wasn’t really any choice in the stores.

I think Gillette still made the black handled Super Speed and Adjustable razors until the late ‘80s - about 35 years ago - and then they stopped. The Merkur 500 was surely still in production, as it is even today, and there were probably other generic or store-branded DEs for the few who still used them. I don’t know, maybe you could buy DE razors in the ‘90s if you looked for one at the bottom shelf of the shaving section, but probably very few did - at least in western countries. What we consider now to be the older generation of common DE razors - Mühle R89, Merkur 34C, etc. are less than, or only just 20 years old.

So I think unless you go further back in time the OP’s question really boils down to how you think current DE razors compare to the cartridge, disposable or electric razors that you could get 20-30 years ago.

20-30 years ago, I still had a few Gillettes from before then. Other than trying the Trac II, Gillette's first real attempt to kill of DE shaving, it's been DE or some unhappy periods with electrics during times of my career years.

I have to laugh at myself because I posted in this thread in August where I mentioned I had 10 razors in total. Suddenly, I now have 16. Thanks B&B. ;)

Top Bottom