What's new

How good are the Fatip Testina Gentile (closed comb) - slant and non-slant versions?

I currently have only one razor - the Feather Popular, which is mild but does a great job for me.

I am looking to expand my collection by buying another mild razor. However, I don't want to pony up the money for a Zamak. As far as I can tell the only one making non-Zamak heads relatively cheaply is Fatip: the heads and handles are plated brass.

Fatip makes 2 types of gentler, milder, closed comb razors: a typical Testina Gentile and a Slant Testina Gentile.

Does anyone have experience with these razors? I have heard that Fatip sometimes has blade alignment issues, is this also true for both versions of the Gentile head (the slant and non-slant)?

I own both the Fatip Gentile and OC (but not the slant).
Seriously, I find the OC to be the smoother shave.
The Gentile is stuck in my travel bag as I don't really mind if it gets 'lost'.
Yes, mine's the later Mk2 model and still has alignment problem. But it really is only a few seconds work to drop the blade in and align it before tightening the cap down.
Even Gillette OLD type has the same issue...not a big deal.
If you asked me directly which to get...I'd say "Get the OC".
Don't let the OC 'teeth' scare you. It's not a mini T-Rex at all.
Or, get the Piccolo Special Edition set which gives you both base plates (that's what I did).
FATIP | Piccolo Special Edition - https://www.fatip.it/en/piccolo/piccolo-special-edition/

I added an Ikon Bulldog handle and top cap to 'make up' the second razor. Works well.
My OC now sports a Razorock Halo handle (after this photo was taken).

Last edited:
So, I have the Testina Gentile slant. It's my first slant razor, so I'm having issues getting the right angle to get a close shave. A lot of folks on this forum really like the Fatip open comb slant.

On the other hand, I also have the Fatip Piccolo and even though it's an open comb, I find it to be a smooth shaver. As you shave, it doesn't feel aggressive, but certainly mows down the whiskers.

So, I have the Testina Gentile slant. It's my first slant razor, so I'm having issues getting the right angle to get a close shave. A lot of folks on this forum really like the Fatip open comb slant.

On the other hand, I also have the Fatip Piccolo and even though it's an open comb, I find it to be a smooth shaver. As you shave, it doesn't feel aggressive, but certainly mows down the whiskers.
@dotKomo can you confirm that the Testina Gentile slant does not have the blade alignment issue? At least on your model?
I own both the Fatip Gentile and OC (but not the slant).
Seriously, I find the OC to be the smoother shave.
The Gentile is stuck in my travel bag as I don't really mind if it gets 'lost'.
Yes, mine's the later Mk2 model and still has alignment problem. But it really is only a few seconds work to drop the blade in and align it before tightening the cap down.
Even Gillette OLD type has the same issue...not a big deal.
If you asked me directly which to get...I'd say "Get the OC".
Don't let the OC 'teeth' scare you. It's not a mini T-Rex at all.
Or, get the Piccolo Special Edition set which gives you both base plates (that's what I did).
FATIP | Piccolo Special Edition - https://www.fatip.it/en/piccolo/piccolo-special-edition/

I added an Ikon Bulldog handle and top cap to 'make up' the second razor. Works well.
My OC now sports a Razorock Halo handle (after this photo was taken).

@Iron Paw Thanks for your detailed comment. I am a bit nervous going for a more aggressive razor, but I will consider the open comb version in my next purchase. Not a fan of the alignment problem, I hope that someone could confirm that this is largely a non-issue for the slant versions, that would significantly narrow down the purchase decision

The main reason for blade alignment problems is that Fatip made the wee posts on the cap a tad too small in diameter.
Plus, where the posts join the cap there is a small gap.
The blade can move around a wee bit when first dropped in.
Get the blade in right, and tighten up the razor and the alignment is then OK.
It doesn't go wonky as you shave.
There really is virtually no effort to get the blade alignment right.
Place cap with posts upwards, drop the blade on the posts, drop on the baseplate, press baseplate down onto cap to lock the blade in position, screw on handle. Job done. That's usually 99% foolproof.
My version with the Ikon cap solves the problem as the Ikon posts are a tad fatter and so align the blade properly from the start.
We are only talking a tiny amount here.
You won't be finding something like 1mm (0.030") of misalignment.
For sure you won't be shredding your face with it even if alignment is out very minutely.

@Iron Paw Not a fan of the alignment problem, I hope that someone could confirm that this is largely a non-issue for the slant versions, that would significantly narrow down the purchase decision
I tried a slant open comb on the passaround a few months ago, and purchased one myself a few weeks ago. I did not experience any blade alignment issues on either razor. I do not discount the experience of others to the contrary, but it has not been an issue to me.

I tend to prefer OCs over closed comb razors. It's not necessarily because OCs are more aggressive than CCs, because there are plenty of CC razors that are more aggressive than some OC razors. I just prefer the look and feel of a OC razor.

With that in mind, I've used a variety of (Zamak) OC razors. I then considered whether to get a Fatip OC Piccolo. I'd been afraid it would be too aggressive. After weeks of deliberation, I bit the bullet and pulled the trigger earlier this month.

After my first shave with the Fatip OC, I was hooked. I now kick myself for not getting it earlier. While the Fatip OC provides an efficient shave, it's not aggressive so long as I ride the cap. I'd highly recommend it to anyone considering an inexpensive razor that will last a lifetime.

Incidentally, I had considered getting a Gentile just in case the OC was too aggressive. After my first shave with the Fatip OC, I realized there was no need to get the Gentile.

I am a happy owner of a FOCS (Fatip Open Comb Slant), looks a bit scary but is a real smooth razor.
There are enough treads of this razor if you use the search - get yourself ready for hours of reading.
About the allignment problem, never had issues with it. Just put the topcap on a towel, let the blade fall in place, base plate on top en tighten it all. Just check if the blade is alligned with the comb (and not the topcap), it looks always a bit wierd but you'll experience the best shaves you ever had.
Following several reviews it seems that the slant open comb version is a bit smoother than the closed bar.

@dotKomo can you confirm that the Testina Gentile slant does not have the blade alignment issue? At least on your model?

@Iron Paw Thanks for your detailed comment. I am a bit nervous going for a more aggressive razor, but I will consider the open comb version in my next purchase. Not a fan of the alignment problem, I hope that someone could confirm that this is largely a non-issue for the slant versions, that would significantly narrow down the purchase decision

Both of my Fatips require checks for blade alignment, but Iron Paws advice is spot on. If you hold the top cap in your palm, add the blade, and add the bottom plate, it should line up just fine.

I like the FCCS and think it's a great razor. Once you get the angle, it's a mild yet close shaver.

I tried both the Fatip Open Comb Slant and the Fatip Piccolo (regular) Open Comb in a couple of the pass-arounds and liked the Slant very much but felt the Regular was too aggressive (although I really loved the looks of both razors). I smooshed both concepts together along with liking milder razors, and purchased an FCCS - Fatip Piccolo (Gentile) Closed Comb Slant Razor (in gold) from Maggard Razors (excellent purchase experience from them).

Fatip_Piccolo_Slant_FCCS_2of2.jpg
Fatip_Piccolo_Slant_FCCS_1of2.jpg

I am very happy with this razor. The fit and finish are excellent, and it doesn't have the blade alignment issue; it could if I fiddled with the blade, but it doesn't when loading the blade like any other 3-piece razor. With the cap pins up on a flat surface, I place a blade onto the cap pins; leaving the cap laying on the flat surface, I press the base-plate firm against the cap sandwiching the blade in between, then screw in the handle while pressing down on the base-plate.

I've used a couple of blades in it (Nacet and Dorco Prime) and it took some time to get the angle just right (for my technique and face). Once I got the angle, WOW, the razor became very smooth. The FCCS is a mild razor yet it shaves very close. Like with the FOCS, the FCCS shaves my mustache area closer than my other razors (noticeably so).

Top Bottom