What's new

How fatal this flaw?

Should premium brushes be expected to look perfect? My new Saville Row brush has glue showing where the bristles meet the handle, is this common or should a $100 brush be held to a standard that doesn't include somewhat sloppy gluing? It doesn't particularly bother me, and doesn't affect the functionality, but I'd certainly like something I paid that much for to be everything it should be.

Thanks for your opinions.

None of my brushes have any glue showing above the level of the top of the handle. I wouldn't be too impressed if I received a brush like yours.

I have seen this on many brushes, including several I own. I have chosen to live with it, but if it is really bad and bothering you, contact the vendor.

Scotto said:
I have seen this on many brushes, including several I own. I have chosen to live with it, but if it is really bad and bothering you, contact the vendor.

I am beginning to think that you live on the Island of Misfit Shaving Supplies. :wink:

your manufacturer has a quality control problem. the brush should never have left the factory.

I am surprised that you didn't immediately contact your retailer. It would seem that the collective expertise exhibited would have determined that first. Is this the same as Savile Row? or is this a different manufacture SaviLLe Row?

Pardon my errant extra "l". :rolleyes: I chopped my index finger badly when making sauerkraut on Sunday and the band aid is interfering with my typing skills (I'm writing some interesting code so far this week too).

It is indeed my new Savile Row. I sent Charles (QED) an email about it this very morning and he explained that with any truly handmade product you'll have some imperfections and that he personally inspects each brush that goes out to make sure that it is good enough to ship, the stinkers are rejected. Mine was considered to be good to go. He also mentioned that all the brush makers have sent him a few stinkers so no one company is worse in this regard.

I'm still not sure how I feel about it.

I agree with Ron! If you are troubled and it is relatively new then you should e-mail him back explaining that you'd like one where the craftsman was paying a bit more attention. Done and done.

Both my Shavemac and my Rooney have a thin layer of glue protruding from the handle. You have to look hard to see it and it has never bothered me.

Top Bottom