What's new

How Effective Is Clubman?

I just picked up a bottle. This stuff just flat out smells great. The store had a special 8 oz bottle and I got the last one. They make it in a 16 oz too. That's bigger than a bottle of Floid!

I'm excited to give it another go but I'm hesitant to wear it at work after all I've read about it's projection and longevity.

When I travel I take 2 aftershaves with me (always the same 2). Clubman and Clubman special reserve. I find that these two cover all my moods.

I DO add some aloe and glycerin to both of them to give them more dry down "feel" ONLY a couple drops is all it needs to change the way it performs.

You can get glycerin and aloe at just about every pharmacy around

proxy.php

What does that mean? I would think "dry down" means it will dry me more, but aloe and glycerin do the opposite. Just curious if this is something I'd be interested in doing. I do like modifying stuff.

It leaves me more moisturized feeling than the straight after shave does

Dry down feel is how your skin feels after the transient part of the after shave has evaporated (after the alcohol and water have evaporated).

The "dry" in "dry down" feel does not equate to "dry skin" but how your skin "feels" after the alcohol and water has evaporated.

Clubman is my favorite aftershave. Original, Bay Rum, Vanilla, Lime Sec... I like them all. They leave my face feeling better than anything else I've tried, and I love their scents (especially after they've dried down a little). I will say though - the Bay Rum burns like the fires of Hell. But that's one of the reasons I like it so much. :wink2:

It leaves me more moisturized feeling than the straight after shave does

Dry down feel is how your skin feels after the transient part of the after shave has evaporated (after the alcohol and water have evaporated).

The "dry" in "dry down" feel does not equate to "dry skin" but how your skin "feels" after the alcohol and water has evaporated.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.

How much of the aloe and glycerin do you add to the bottle?

2 drops of each in a 6 oz bottle to start out, then I evaluate it for a few days to a week and adjust as necessary. Most times a small amount is better than a larger amount which leaves a sticky feel. I go for what pleases me but what I enjoy may not be the same as anyone else. YMMV is big when you are talking about customizing products to your liking.

I have several large bottles of clubmam that I use as the base and mix my blend in the smaller bottle. That way should I foobar I can thin with stock to get it where I want to be. I will sometimes introduce some witch hazel or more water to some products that are too alcohol heavy. It is a "mad scientist" type of experimentation until you find what you like for each product you use.

It is a trial and error process when you start out but I have been doing it long enough I pretty much know which aftershaves can take more "fiddling with" than others.

I should say that I also "roll my own" aftershaves so blending store bought products is not that difficult as I know what to do to get what I want in a finished product.

About the only aftershave I don't mess with is the Captain's products. He has hit the mark square on and I do not think I could improve his products any at all so they all get used as delivered. It's the commercially produced products that benefit the most with "adjustment" You have to understand that another drop or two of this or that will throw off their profit margins so they blend their products to be acceptable yet profitable at the price point they are selling them at, not for your comfort.

If you do decide to modify, keep records as this is the only way you will remember what you have done so you can reproduce what you enjoy and stay way from what did not work for you.

I just picked up a bottle. This stuff just flat out smells great. The store had a special 8 oz bottle and I got the last one. They make it in a 16 oz too. That's bigger than a bottle of Floid!

Nice. I predict you will be back to get that 16 ouncer in a week!

I love the original Clubman. There are no moisturizers that I know of that are listed in the ingredients list but for some reason my face feels great after using it. It actually feels better than some "moisturizing" aftershaves IMO.

I love the original Clubman. There are no moisturizers that I know of that are listed in the ingredients list but for some reason my face feels great after using it. It actually feels better than some "moisturizing" aftershaves IMO.

Clubman was one of the first aftershaves I purchased when I got back into wet shaving after removing my Rip Van Winkle 12 year growth beard.

It is available locally at the small mom and pop pharmacy at the end of my street so it was an easy choice for me.

I have always liked it and I never grow tired of the scent.

Ok I just picked up a bottle of Clubman at my local Rite Aid. My first whiff was like whoooa, thats some strong stuff but definitely smells great. I put some on today and my wife really likes....Win Win for me.

As a straight "bracer," I think few match it.

I have expanded to other realms besides the big drugstore clan, mostly in search of a signature scent. Even in the next tier(Proraso, Musgo Real, Speick), they don't knockout any of the classics in effectiveness. The tier above that (DR harris, Taylor) and above that(Penhaligon's, Czech).

I have yet to try any boutique a/s that outperform the classic aftershaves.(AV, Clubman, Old Spice, Skin Bracer, Brut, EL).

Now, when going out on a date with the wife, I am grabbing for Musgo Real, DR Arlington because of the scent. Not for its' bracing qualities

Clubman is about perfect. It never leaves too much or too little behind. This is probably why it has been around for 80 years or so.

I had Pinaud Clubman in my summer rotation. I enjoyed it and felt it was a pretty good value. It did last for several hours, which is longer than most aftershaves last. I'm looking forward to trying the various Pinaud aftershaves, except for The Veg. I already tried it and we got along OK but not great.

Use it every day! Going to stock up on the other scents too. I did order a bottle of Speick to throw in the mix though based off of everyone else's great reviews.

Top Bottom