What's new

how easy is it to replace a handle on a brush?

How easy is it to replace the handle on a brush? I would like to get a different handle and am not sure where to order. I would like a handle that is plastic (i think) and is good quality. Any suggestions would be great.

Are you wanting to save a knot from a brush you already have? I don't know if that is possible, it's usually done the other way around. People buy new knots for old handles.

But at any rate all you have to do is find a handle you like then order a new knot for it from the golden nib or whippeddog. Directions on how to get the old knot out are scattered all in this sub-forum. It does wreck the old knot though.

I was hoping to reuse the knot becasuse it is in great shape and I like it, but from the sounds of it it may not work, hmmmmm....

The usual way to remove a knot is to cut the hair off flush then use a drill, pliers, or some other method to remove the rest of the knot from inside the handle.

But, you can pick up a new knot for not a whole lot of money.

Like said above it will be pretty much impossible, unless the handle is completly hollow all th way through were you can break it off the knot. But I assure you its not and if the handle was that cheap the.knot wouldnt be worth saving, so what is wrong with your handle ?

Like said above it will be pretty much impossible, unless the handle is completly hollow all th way through were you can break it off the knot. But I assure you its not and if the handle was that cheap the.knot wouldnt be worth saving, so what is wrong with your handle ?

The handle has a mar on it and I wanted to try a different style handle.

A very non elegant way is to shatter the handle off in a vise. I have removed handles this way and it should allow you to get to a workable spot.

Basically put the handle in a vise and keep cranking until it cracks or splits - be careful that it doesn't send shrapnel your way when it does, some of the cheaper ones may explode. As always, when woring with tools wear eye protection if you try this.

Top Bottom