What's new

How durable is the new gold plating?

Just picked up a gold plated 47-48 Aristocrat off ebay.
Waiting for it to arrive.

The gold on the face and head are quite worn. Thinking on having it replated but am leary of going the gold route for fear it will wear off fairly easy from use, will probably see use two to three times a week if it shaves well (to be determined after it arrives). I do have a couple of gold plated razors, a Star and a Gillette early war model. Both show plating loss too an extent but who knows the number of uses on them?

Nickel? Have seen a few online in nickel, not sure if that was common on this model or ? I do know nickel is very durable with great longevity if cared for correctly.

I do love the looks of the gold razors and would prefer to keep it original.
But there is no such thing as a shelf queen in this house.

So who's been using a replated gold razor and there thoughts on wear and longevity?

1E06FA20-11AF-4584-8027-B170076DC3A6.jpeg

535D9C1E-E15B-4E5B-8F1B-5FE39FB35252.jpeg

D0E1B809-468D-476F-A197-77985DB937DD.jpeg

R

romsitsa

It is like how often you will have to sharpen a knife, there is no definitive answer.
Gold is the softes plating material, wear depends on how one uses/cleans it and how often, how thick the plating is, is it hard gold or soft, does it have a nickel underplate, how good the plating adheres to the base metal.

If you don’t have any “shelf queens” I’d recommend just leaving it as is. Strangely I find it quite beautiful the way the doors are worn.

Generally the wear I see is a little more sporadic then that but yours is beautiful as is. As weird as it sounds I think I prefer the look of yours over a new looking one and would be very happy to find a used Aristrocrat that looked like that for sale at a good price.

All that said, I imagine the new gold plating will hold up much better then the old coating but will still eventually wear with lots of use over time. I figure it would take many years of normal usage to wear it. But I still say leave it be, but I’m weird like that sometimes.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Nickel? Have seen a few online in nickel, not sure if that was common on this model or ? I do know nickel is very durable with great longevity if cared for correctly.
The Aristocrat was always gold. Nickel would be a replate.
I did an early one like your '46-'47 in nickel over ten years ago, shaves great and durable, see below.
That said, the guys plating in gold now are putting it on much thicker (29 µin) than original and it lasts well.

Nickel Aristocrat
full

Chris at BRG has instructions on his site (and in the box with replated razors) on how to care for the finish. Basically, wash under hot water and thoroughly dry with a microfiber towel. Following that procedure, he warranties his finish for six months. His plating is far thicker (and nicer) than Gillette's. That said, I have a 1946ish ball end Tech in gold and a 1950ish Aristocrat and both look near new still (because they were in clean shape when I got them years ago and I maintain my tools).

Last edited:
Top Bottom