What's new

How does the Supply brush compare?

I started with the Supply razor 2.0 a little over a year ago. It came with (I think - it was so long ago now) their faux horn handled synthetic brush.

Since then I've acquired a few other brushes including a silver tip Yaqui and semogue boar brush. Lately I've been wondering if my synthetic brush might "need" an upgrade. Maybe something with more of a purpose.

How does the Supply brush stack up to others on the market? Is it a quality brush or a generic overpriced one? Am I miss out on something fantastic? I keep hearing about fantastic knots out there and can't help wondering what might be. Thoughts?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Hello there!

I have sensitive skin, so I didn't go with a bore brush. Although, if you want a brush that have a solid back bone, and scrapes the skin, a bore brush will do that for you obviously. And there's lots of good bore brushes to choose from.

Because of my sensitive skin, I began my first foyay into badger brushes, specifically pure badger. I can tell you right now, if you have sensitive skin and want a soft hair badger, don't go with pure badger. I used to think all badger hair brushes were the same, ohhhhh, how wrong I was!

Pure badger is the lowest quality badger brush, and the hairs are actually scratchy. And my badger brush is not dense at all, and has absolutely 0 backbone, not worth the 30 bucks I paid for it I can tell you that much. I mean, for a brush its OK, but I swear there's gotta be bore brushes out there, that are better then my pure badger.

So, in an effort to get a higher quality badger brush, I went to Ebay and ordered a Maseto Avatar 30 knott 59 loft silver tipped badger brush. I got it for around 60, or 65 with tax. Silver tipped badger is a higher quality badger brush, its basically a midrange brush in badger hair.

The hair is going to be a lot softer, and the brush will have more backbone to it, its going to soak up lather like you wouldn't believe, the lather king is here lol. Also, the Maseto brushes have excellent quality handles, and I really love the look of the Avatar.

And then there are higher quality badger brushes still, like the Best Badger Manchurians, brushes that can go for hundreds of dollars. I doubt most people need those brushes, I think they are more WANTS then actual NEEDS. lol

The thing about bore brushes from what I understand, is you get a whole heck of a lotta brush, for the money. The average cost for a quality bore brush is around 15 dollars. Where you pay closer to 60 dollars in comparison for a quality badger brush.

Synthetic brushes are being pushed more these days by some companies, due to treatment of animals. I won't be getting into that debate on this site, I don't see the point. But some companies stopped selling badger brushes for that reason.

Apparently, when synthetic brushes first became a thing, they were all garbage from what I understand. But now days, people are telling me that there are synthetic brushes that rival the feel of a silver tipped badger. If this is true, that is amazing.

But synthetic is kind of tricky, because there are a lot of them out there, and its hard to know, just which one of those are real quality, or are just simply OK, or garbage. I made the choice to avoid synthetics all together. Just not my thing.

And as I am sure you've already noticed, there are different grades of brushes, small knott, large knott, short loft, tall loft. There are even different shapes, BULB shape, FAN shape. So many choices. But if you want my advice and are looking for a badger brush, go with a silver tipped badger.

Stay away from pure badger, I just don't like them. And I will divorce mine as soon as my new one comes in. And I will marry my new Maseto in lathers of Tabac and Prorasso, it will be a truly romantic experience.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I own a variety of brushes: boar, horse, different grades of badger, badger/boar mixes, and synthetics.
Synthetics have made some simply amazing technological advancements, and there are synthetics out there that rival the best natural hair brushes in performance, and beat them hands down in "care and feeding".
Gone are the days of nylon bristle synthetics that splattered lather everywhere on every stroke because of springiness like an Olympian leaving a diving board.
I can't speak for the quality of Supply brushes directly, not owning one yet, but if you are concerned that synthetics of appropriate quality can't perform - that simply isn't a concern with todays technology.

Thank you for the replies!

I'm not happy with my current "starter" supply brush so I guess that's all that matters in the end. I'm pretty happy with bagger brush and my boar is still breaking in.

The world of synthetic feels more daunting than natural given the variety of options.

Again, thank you!

Top Bottom