What's new

How does the GEM 1912 shave?

I've a 1912-patent GEM I'm watching on Ebay, and it's a cherry specimen, but I'm curious. How does it shave? I've never used an open comb.

I've used most of the Gem SE razors and feel the 1912 gives the best and smoothest shave of all of them. Go for it you'll love it.

Len

You can't go wrong with a 1912. It is one of the best and most comfortable shaving razors ever produced.

Use a good coated stainless blade, such as the "Gem by Personna" and adjust your angle based upon listening for the sound of the razor cutting through the whiskers. This razor is capable of the best shaves you've ever had.

Regards,
Tom

1912s are great, very close shave and yet easy to use. I'm puzzled by the open comb comment, though. I've never seen a 1912 that had one, although I don't claim to know all the variants. Does the razor you're tracking look like the one in this picture from the wiki?

Gem 1912s are great shavers. :biggrin1:

Just make sure that you approach it as a new razor that you will need to learn the proper technique for. I gave myself a few rough shaves trying to use DE technique till I figured that out, but once I did, what a shave!

After reading about how great they are I got my first one last year I believe in late November, early December. The first morning I was going to use it I stood there looking at all the blade showing and put it away. Shaved with a DE instead because I didn't want to go to work all cut up. Finally got around to trying it on a weekend and was amazed at how well it worked.

I now have six different GEM models, not counting a Featherweight I recently purchased from DanInFla.

Every one owes it to themself to at least try one. They're cheap and readily available.

I've said before that if I was limited to only one razor to use it would be, without question a 1912.

The GEM 1912's provide an exceptional shave with tremendous audible feedback. It shaves as close as a Slant, and if you use the PTFE coated blades, the shave will be very smooth.

I'll also say this - it is very difficult to cut yourself badly with one of these.

I have yet to find anything that shaves better than a Gem 1912 design. Close, yet gentle . . . a consistent performer.

Top Bottom