What's new

How does the English Flat Bottom Tech differ from the American War era Tech?

I'm referring to the Techs made with the triangular slots made from what, the late 30's to just after WWII. I haven't compared them closely but they seem awfully similar. I have never seen an English Flat Bottom Tech in person much less shaved with one but I've had my War era Tech for many years. I find it slightly more aggressive than my ball end Techs - one from 1946 based on the blade codes in the box and the other a 1961.

lasta

Blade Biter
I'd say structurally more similar than different.

Slight production variations/when it was made would make a bigger difference than where.

Most people say the English Flat or Canadian Tech is the most efficient and post-war US the mildest. Personally, my post war US is the most blade forward, followed by Pre-War/English, Canadian being the mildest.

Difference is small, probably half a shim in between all of them.

I'd say structurally more similar than different.

Slight production variations/when it was made would make a bigger difference than where.

Most people say the English Flat or Canadian Tech is the most efficient and post-war US the mildest. Personally, my post war US is the most blade forward, followed by Pre-War/English, Canadian being the mildest.

Difference is small, probably half a shim in between all of them.
Thanks, lasta. I know how guys can get worked up on forums whether about shaving, guns, cars, guitars, watches, etc. This week's must have is tomorrow's has been. ;) I suspect @Alum Ladd may have some thoughts.

lasta

Blade Biter
This week's must have is tomorrow's has been. ;)

Yep!

Back when there was a show called The Borgias on TV, everyone wanted an Omega Lucretia Borgia.

I don't remember the last time seeing anyone post an Omega badger on SOTD!

Anyways, Techs are beautiful and affordable. I'd imagine a line of Techs in the home library would make as good a showpiece as anything!

I've had the Pre-war US, Canadian (1932) and a British Fat Handle Tech. I stuck with the British Tech. IMO it was between the US, being the mildest, and the Canadian, the most aggressive. All three are great Tech's. I just don't want spare razor rolling around in my drawer so I'm selling off the ones I don't use. You can't go wrong with a Tech!

Thanks, lasta. I know how guys can get worked up on forums whether about shaving, guns, cars, guitars, watches, etc. This week's must have is tomorrow's has been. ;) I suspect @Alum Ladd may have some thoughts.
True! In my experience, the Brit Gillettes are just a bit "sharper" or "crisper" all the way around. Cleaner stamping, sharper knurling, tighter TTOs.

I really wonder how much the design differences related to post-War perspectives, e.g., the Brits saying everything is back to normal, stiff upper lip, not a hint of stubble at 12:00, vs. Americans, we did it, I want efficiency but not at the expense of comfort and relaxation, my shave is not a personal AND social statement.

I really wonder how much the design differences related to post-War perspectives, e.g., the Brits saying everything is back to normal, stiff upper lip, not a hint of stubble at 12:00, vs. Americans, we did it, I want efficiency but not at the expense of comfort and relaxation, my shave is not a personal AND social statement.
Love this analogy. Ha!

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I’ve had almost every Tech at one point or another. There is just something about the British Flat Bottom that makes it more enjoyable for me. Not sure if it’s the actual shave results, or the shave feel, but I like it best. I like the Flat Bottom better than the Hybrid. All of the USA and Canadian Techs, as well as the majority of the common Brit Techs, have that diamond shaped raised panel on the base plate as far as I know. The flat bottoms don’t, and therefore hold the blade differently, which changes the shave dynamics.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I'm referring to the Techs made with the triangular slots made from what, the late 30's to just after WWII. I haven't compared them closely but they seem awfully similar. I have never seen an English Flat Bottom Tech in person much less shaved with one but I've had my War era Tech for many years. I find it slightly more aggressive than my ball end Techs - one from 1946 based on the blade codes in the box and the other a 1961.
This thread may be of some informational value:

Thread 'To Tech, Or Not To Tech.....How Do The Best Techs Stack Up?' To Tech, Or Not To Tech.....How Do The Best Techs Stack Up? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/to-tech-or-not-to-tech-how-do-the-best-techs-stack-up.621829/

Hope this helps. :)

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Pulled out one of my Flat Bottoms today.

4B4F0B01-7676-4C53-86E7-C40769DF62ED.jpeg

All I have are post WWII ball end handled Techs and after I use one sometimes, I wonder why I have the other modern razors in my collection. 🤣 I am on the hunt for an English flat bottom Tech and hope to own one someday.

I've decided I'm good on Techs. The reason I bought a couple of modern razors recently (Masamune and Rocca Birch) was on looks alone. That they both turned out to be great razors was a bonus! :)

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Sadly, I am in Canada. :(
Both of my BFBT came from Canada... so they show up there from time to time. There are a couple Canadian Etsy dealers who have them on a regular basis.... but they are more expensive than finding one in the wild, of course.

I found my first one on eBay from an antique dealer in Canada... he posted it on both the US and Canada eBay sites.

Top Bottom