What's new

How does Speick lotion stop the sting?

Speick lotion stops the sting like nothing I have but I don’t know which ingredients perform this magic?

Like many people, I think Speick is one of the most soothing and healing aftershaves that I've tried. The ingredient list is mercifully short:

INCI: Alcohol, Aqua, Hamamelis Virginiana Leaf Water, Sorbitol, Glucose, Mannitol, Valeriana Celtica Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia Oil, Citrus Limon Peel Oil, Parfum, Lactic Acid, Menthol, Camphor, Citral, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool

I think the soothing and healing properties are from the combination of ingredients, rather than just one isolated ingredient (especially the combination of witch hazel, lavender oil and camphor).

There's not a lot of information I've found on the Speick extract (Alpine Valerian aka Valerian Celtica). Historically, this was used for perfuming by people in some parts of Asia. I haven't found any indication it was used to soothe skin irritation. So, I'm assuming it's primarily for aroma or "aromatherapy".

Alcohol, WaterStandard aftershave ingredients; disinfects, tones
Hamamelis Virginiana Leaf Water
(witch hazel extract)
Reduces inflammation and irritation, tones
Sorbitol, Glucose, MannitolSugar alcohols; humecants (retains moisture)
Valeriana Celtica Extract
(speick plant extract)
Aroma
Lavandula Angustifolia Oil
(English lavender oil)
Aroma, reduces irritation and redness
Citrus Limon Peel OilAroma
ParfumAroma
Lactic AcidBalances pH, clears skin
MentholCooling, numbing
CamphorReduces inflammation and irritation
Citral, Geraniol, Limonene, LinaloolAroma

I'd like to try making an aftershave that has most of the properties Speick A/S has, but with a different scent. Maybe that will be a little hobby project at some point.

Note sure what ingredient does it, but it just works so well. Definitely a classic splash that smells great and performs wonderfully.

I'd like to try making an aftershave that has most of the properties Speick A/S has, but with a different scent. Maybe that will be a little hobby project at some point.
Check out Muhle’s aftershaves. They are made by the same manufacturer that makes Speick and has the same ingredient list of Speick Active aftershave (not the original), except for scent and without the Speick plant extract. Available in 3 scents

Oh dag nabbit! I just ordered some Speick splash and forgot all about the Active line. The Active soap has a great scent. I hope the regular splash is similar.
Check out Muhle’s aftershaves. They are made by the same manufacturer that makes Speick and has the same ingredient list of Speick Active aftershave (not the original), except for scent and without the Speick plant extract. Available in 3 scents

Its probably the reduced amount of alcohol by comparison to supermarket aftershaves. Its something I've noticed with the pricier (but substantially better) shave specific AS. There is more to the formulation with ingredients like glycerin, witch hazel, aloe juice and extracts as opposed to parfum with just enough alcohol to work as an antiseptic and keep everything stable. Like seriously, normal AS is mostly just alcohol, water and cheap fragrance. There is also (often) little to no chemical voodoo to stop things from going off or becoming 'unmixed'.

Its probably the reduced amount of alcohol by comparison to supermarket aftershaves. Its something I've noticed with the pricier (but substantially better) shave specific AS. There is more to the formulation with ingredients like glycerin, witch hazel, aloe juice and extracts as opposed to parfum with just enough alcohol to work as an antiseptic and keep everything stable. Like seriously, normal AS is mostly just alcohol, water and cheap fragrance. There is also (often) little to no chemical voodoo to stop things from going off or becoming 'unmixed'.
It has around 55% alcohol. That's not too far off some other aftershaves, although some indeed go up to 80%.

Top Bottom