What's new

How Does One Shave With A GEM/Ever Ready 1912 SE Razor? Tips On Technique From Colleagues Needed.

At this point however, I can only report that the SE ASRC 1912 shaving system is the best wet shave I have encountered, and has given me remarkable results. After nearly 10 hours my face is still glassy. Not the slightest stubble re-emergence. The only minor drawback appears to be shaving immediately under the nostrils. I will create an angle based workaround for that.

I will be exploring other ASRC products as a result of this. I suspect GEM style SE shaving is more efficient than the DE system...

I can't explain it - and I'm only a beginner, but after only 6 shaves on my first blade (4 with Guiding Eye and 2 with 1912) I've had a better experience than any of my DEs. And it's more fun too!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Simon,

I’ve shaved steeply with Micromatic razors; pretty much have to with the Clog Pruf; and assumed doing so would be the same with a 1912.

Last night, I shaved steeply with my newly acquired Ever-Ready 1912 and it wasn’t the same. It was more difficult, slightly less efficient, but much gentler. I think cap flat on skin is better with the 1912, but steep is pleasant, too. Caveat being GEM-style blades are freaking sharp, so always be mindful of the pressure and always know you’ll always be using a little too much pressure even when you think you aren’t.

One word- carefully. And with a good blade. I swore I would never try those “old“ razors based on one very, very uninformed experience in my teens. We had no blades to try in Grandads old razor, so I went out to the garage to get a utility blade. I looked like I had been in a three way hatchet fight without a hatchet. I have since tried with GEM blades and done pretty well with 1912, Clogproof and MMOC, but they are not my favorites Compared to DE. Others love them, and I feel like I need to try better blades before finalizing an opinion for myself. have read here that the Gem COATED blades are a night and day difference. Just found a GEM 1924 Shovelhead in an antique mall today, so if anyone knows where to order the GOOD coated SE blades, please respond and I’ll order some and post results. Nice to stumble across the info on the Shovelhead angle- all other GEMS I have tried so far have been extremely shallow- basically flat against the face, then lower the handle very slightly till you feel the blade engage. Totally different than 30 “ish” degree norm for the old Gillettes.

The 1912!
I love it. Quite steampunk in its appearance but a beautiful shaver it is.

I have a couple of GEMs and Ever Ready razors, and put them on a Rod George handle when in use as the original handle is really small.

View attachment 1432240

I actually shave with it in the same routine as I use with other razors.
These SE are pretty forgiving.
That beautiful! Just picked up a Shovelhead today at an antique mall. What length 10-32 grub screw did you order to attach the standard handles? I need to order some today. Thanks, Dave

I have used the 1912 and it is an excellent razor, I used it exactly as any DE in terms of number and direction of passes. Hold the handle well away from the face so as to obtain the correct cutting angle, it feels a bit unnatural at first but you soon get used to it. Good luck.

View attachment 1431974
Thanks for post. Just picked up a 1924/Shovelhead this morning so super glad I stumbled across this info on the shaving angle.

Hello to all!

Recently purchased a 1912 Ever Ready English made razor, for a good price. The Popular in the UK or Junior I believe it was marketed as in the States.

Thing is, It is very intimidating from the the Bay pics of it. The head looks rather strange.

I am guessing that you place the flat head to the face and then use as a DE but keeping the head to the users face as much as possible, using no pressure with short strokes.

I have watched some YT vids, but I would much prefer B&B colleague advice from actual experience, which is the richest source anywhere.

I have bought a 10 pack of the GEM/Personna blades from Connault which should arrive soon. I should be getting both in around 3-4 days.

It kind of reminds me of the BIC Orange which I used for 3 decades, in that it has an angled head.

Does anyone have any advice on how to actually shave with it? How many passes, and in what direction? How do you do XTG, and is NS advisable? Any insights would be great.

Thanks in advance!
I’m no expert, but here is what I’ve learned as I have recently been down the Gem rabbit hole. Most of them are $5 to $12 on eBay here in the states, so why not try them all? I wasn’t a fan of any until I got the coated Personna blades a few weeks ago. Those tamed even the MMOC, and I had the closet shave I’ve ever had with the it last night. All the Gems except one have the same shave angle- top cap almost flat to your face, drop the handle just till you feel the blade engage like you would with a Schick. The only exception is the 1924 Gem that has an almost “normal” shave angle as explained in the included original GEM instructions posted elsewhere here. YMMV, but I found blade chatter and the resulting weapers excessive with the 1912 (my Grandfathers) and the 1924 leaf spring blade clamping mechanism, but with great, slow care I can get phenomenal shaves with the Clog-Pruf and MMOC tto razors that clamp the blade down tighter. Then again, these razors are all old and very well used so someone else may experience something different with a different razor. Many claim the 1912 is milder than the 30’s- 40’s TTO razors, and the best of the lot. We are all different. With any Gem, especially the MMOC, I am very deliberate with my face prep ritual, including pre shave oil and short, careful and light strokes. Once mastered, they shave incredibly well with the coated Personna blades. I even buffed my sensitive neck a bit with the MMOC yesterday- and quite frankly I’m surprised I got away with it! The uncoated blades may as well be box cutters to me- chewed me up pretty good. I’m saving those for the next time I have to scrape an expired inspection sticker off my windshield or scrape paint!

Great razor, I've had many. It costs very little, but gives excellent results. Here is an example of a completely new one. However, beware of industrial blades. A regular car scraper won't do it on your face. I also bought blades in the USA for mine. What is sold from blades in Ukraine is not suitable for shaving. I often wait a long time for them to arrive to me. But it's definitely worth it.
IMG-9d63722c56cbd2753befeadb831fed0c-V.jpg
IMG-4a891bca966a7802b867085b18326ba6-V.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Great razor, I've had many. It costs very little, but gives excellent results. Here is an example of a completely new one. However, beware of industrial blades. A regular car scraper won't do it on your face. I also bought blades in the USA for mine. What is sold from blades in Ukraine is not suitable for shaving. I often wait a long time for them to arrive to me. But it's definitely worth it.View attachment 1607066View attachment 1607067
Looks like a great razor you bought, surprizing how well they keep up over the decades. Ever- Ready (ASR Corp) set up a factory in England that ran from 1936-53 making variants of ASR razors for the British Common wealth countries at that time.

Looks like a great razor you bought, surprizing how well they keep up over the decades. Ever- Ready (ASR Corp) set up a factory in England that ran from 1936-53 making variants of ASR razors for the British Common wealth countries at that time.
I know that they appeared in England later than in the USA. In the last photo, it was bought by me for my friend, who is now fighting, defending our country in the ranks of the armed forces of Ukraine. Interestingly, is there a photo of soldiers and officers of the Second World War with such a razor?
IMG-d3b9a24e13c307faae6f98f20b875158-V.jpg
IMG-bd558856b8fe7558df08ff3d3127bcb7-V.jpg
IMG-f2742980ee2576835d81059db838a612-V.jpg
IMG-2c68c96e9179dbfac48ee3fbfb6e07c7-V.jpg
IMG-88fe0eac5ee934e6bd0a91e72a8d8635-V.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I know that they appeared in England later than in the USA. In the last photo, it was bought by me for my friend, who is now fighting, defending our country in the ranks of the armed forces of Ukraine. Interestingly, is there a photo of soldiers and officers of the Second World War with such a razor?View attachment 1607081View attachment 1607082View attachment 1607083View attachment 1607084View attachment 1607085
I know ASR made razors during World war 2 and some where with a bake lite handle in a black plastic case for the US military W2. I sure you could look on the internet for a picture. I looked through my archives and have a few from W1.
1918-Damaskene-military-outfit.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Hi, new in this sub-group and thought I'd just on this thread since it seems to be right in line with what I'm contemplating too.

14 years of DE shaving, a few dozen or so Feather Artist Club shaves and am curious about this GEM/Single Edge stuff you all are hawking.

In my DE experience, blade chatter = blood with mental exhaustion. I tried loads of prep methods and couldn't find a combo that negated the frustrating results. This was no more apparent than when using the infamous 2011 R41. I just recently, finally sold it off. It's 2013 "milder" sibling is also up for sale.

I'm now in a slant phase and thoroughly enjoying the fast, 99% blood-free clean shaves. Parker Semi-Slant, Fatip Storto Original, Razorock Superslant L2 and Yaqi slant.

I'm intrigued about these glorified utility blade face scrapers due to the blade rigidity and consequential less chatter.

My Artist Club shaves great, but I don't use it often and unsurprisingly requires a re-honing of technique. Last time I used it I sliced my cheek with the Progaurd blade =\ - I was in a rush and not complete focused. Lesson learned.

I want fast, efficient knock-down of my hair. I don't have time to put on the ole' record player spinning some Dorsey Bros., and take an hour to warm butter on my face to clip hair by hair, and sensualize the cutting vibrations... No disrespect to those who do. Maybe I'll be more like that when I retire? :)

So, it seems the consensus for tasting Single Edge is:
  1. 1912 or Featherweight handle
  2. Personna Stainless Steel PTFE blades
  3. plant razor head flat side to face, tilt until familiar "buttering toast" sound/feeling is observed, shaft strokes and go.
Right?

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
  3. plant razor head flat side to face, tilt until familiar "buttering toast" sound/feeling is observed, shaft strokes and go.

Pretty much. Alternatively, get an E or G series vintage Schick Eversharp Injector and Schick blades made in China (they are in an orange-yellow package though the dispenser is just silvery metal).

Hi, new in this sub-group and thought I'd just on this thread since it seems to be right in line with what I'm contemplating too.

14 years of DE shaving, a few dozen or so Feather Artist Club shaves and am curious about this GEM/Single Edge stuff you all are hawking.

In my DE experience, blade chatter = blood with mental exhaustion. I tried loads of prep methods and couldn't find a combo that negated the frustrating results. This was no more apparent than when using the infamous 2011 R41. I just recently, finally sold it off. It's 2013 "milder" sibling is also up for sale.

I'm now in a slant phase and thoroughly enjoying the fast, 99% blood-free clean shaves. Parker Semi-Slant, Fatip Storto Original, Razorock Superslant L2 and Yaqi slant.

I'm intrigued about these glorified utility blade face scrapers due to the blade rigidity and consequential less chatter.

My Artist Club shaves great, but I don't use it often and unsurprisingly requires a re-honing of technique. Last time I used it I sliced my cheek with the Progaurd blade =\ - I was in a rush and not complete focused. Lesson learned.

I want fast, efficient knock-down of my hair. I don't have time to put on the ole' record player spinning some Dorsey Bros., and take an hour to warm butter on my face to clip hair by hair, and sensualize the cutting vibrations... No disrespect to those who do. Maybe I'll be more like that when I retire? :)

Right?
I would hesitate to recommend a Feather Weight to start off with because they and all of the other post Micromatic Clog-pruf models are considered “mild” razors and may not be efficient enough. The 1912 patented models are fairly efficient, can be had for dirt cheap and will give you an idea of whether or not you like shaving with an SE.

I’ve been a long time fan of single edge razors, especially the 1912 patented ones and the many variations that are available.

Right?
I would hesitate to recommend a Feather Weight to start off with because they and all of the other post Micromatic Clog-pruf models are considered “mild” razors and may not be efficient enough. The 1912 patented models are fairly efficient, can be had for dirt cheap and will give you an idea of whether or not you like shaving with an SE.

I’ve been a long time fan of single edge razors, especially the 1912 patented ones and the many variations that are available.
I’ll second @HoosierTrooper and say go with a 1912 model. They’re cheap, plentiful and give great shaves.

Razor: English Ever Ready 1912
Blade: Personna Gem Stainless Steel (3)
Brush: English "New Forest" Badger
Soap: Tabac Stick (Non Tallow)
AS: Blue Stratos
AS Balm: Boots Freshwood

IMG_20220505_171625182.jpg

Tonight I broke out the Ever Ready 1912 SE as I felt like a switch and the 1912 has not been getting too much flight time.

Lathered up some Tabac and set to.

First pass WTG was a little disappointing but lack of recent experience with the platform and having to re-acquire angles made it user error.

Second pass XTG was better, and I started to become familiar with this excellent old warhorse again. I was slightly intimidated by it's unfamiliarity but that was wearing off fast. I had forgotten the amazing blade rigidity and blade thickness which gives such decisive cutting strokes. I was really getting back into it. Much better.

Third pass ATG was where the SE GEM blade really seemed to come into it's own. Excellent and enjoyable pass with great audible feedback.

By this point I was BBS but I went for the fourth clean up pass, because I was enjoying the shave and I had soap to spare in the brush. A hybrid XTG/ WTG affair, but fun nonetheless.

Excellent SE shave!

Last edited:
@steelwindmachine I would absolutely recommend a 1912 model as @HoosierTrooper and @Jim99 have said, for excellent reasons given above.

The most produced model I think and one of the best safety razors ever made.

See my shave report above from tonight. I have been using DE's rather too much and feel like making a switch, so will be using the 1912 for a few weeks hopefully to get back in the swing.

@steelwindmachine I would absolutely recommend a 1912 model as @HoosierTrooper and @Jim99 have said, for excellent reasons given above.

The most produced model I think and one of the best safety razors ever made.
I totally agree! I just recently got a 1912 and all I have to say is I love it! The first shave went surprisingly well and now after a few more shaves it feels almost as intuitive as a DE except for maybe the mustache area under my nose which I am still a little more cautious about. The Personna GEM PTFE coated blades are excellent! Super close and super comfortable shaves! I am very happy that I decided to try out the GEM style razors and blades!

Top Bottom