What's new

How does ink work?

I'm still new to this so my ink collection is slim. How does the ink/pen/paper reflect the flow of the ink? I've been taking notes all weekend on a standard 8x11 notebook with Parker Quink black ink because it's the only bottle that I have and I only have a Noodlers Flex. I will write about 4-6 bullets and the ink will go out and I have to adjust the ink flow, scribble on paper before it will write again.

I cleaned out my pen (I do it frequently) and put in a sample that I have of Perle Noire and wrote a page on a 5x7 journal with a heavier paper. No hiccups whatsoever. If it makes any difference the journal was acid free paper.

I bought 4 mystery pens.. Will the Parker ink behave differently if the ink is the problem?

Thanks! I love what this site :cursing: got me into this time! :001_tongu I'm placing an order for ink and really LOVED apache sunset. What's another or 5 good shading ink?

It has been said that your writing performance is affected by the trifecta of pen, ink and paper. Each works with the others to change the characteristics of the writing. As you experiment with different pens, papers and inks you will find that some work better than others and that some combinations work well and others do not. There are some inks that I find only work well in certain pens, while some ink works well in any pen I put it in.

I too have wondered about this and I have no clue except to say that Apache Sunset is also one of my favorites.

Not a direct answer, but I do note that you changed more than one variable. It might have been interesting to try the heavier paper with the Quink before changing the ink.

I've been doing my own testing to find out what works for me, and it seems that paper is the biggest variable I've found. Some old notepads and notebooks that I have just don't want to cooperate with a fountain pen, others are fine with it. At the same time, I'm learning about how nibs and feeds can affect the equation, and how they may require some fiddling.

Still relatively new at this, though, not quite six months, so I'm still learning. Most of the time I've been using up all the ink in a pen before cleaning it out and trying another ink, so it's not like I've tried many different inks in each pen.

Recently, I ran Noodler's Midway Blue in three different pens. In each case, on the same paper, the ink was a different color, ranging from a dark blue to a baby blue - yes, that much difference. To me, that's part of the fun of having different inks and pens. Mix and match!

Recently, I ran Noodler's Midway Blue in three different pens. In each case, on the same paper, the ink was a different color, ranging from a dark blue to a baby blue - yes, that much difference. To me, that's part of the fun of having different inks and pens. Mix and match!

Thanks! I was looking for a good shading blue ink. Now I have the Midway Blue, Apache Sunset, Habernero and Aus. Rose. Do we simply enjoy variables? Before I started wetshaving I used the same razor with the same goo, now it's varies. With this new found pen hobby the variables is what make it fun. Now lets see what this site gets me hooked to next :cursing:

Inks behave differently in different pens. Numerous factors will affect the ink performance the nib, a fine nib will lay down a fine drier line, medium, broad nibs will be wetter. Another factor is the ink feed if it is clogged it will effect the ink flow. Inks themselves all have different properties that affect the ink flow too. For example Noodler's ink is a wetter ink, J Herbin inks tend to be slightly drier.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
To me, that's part of the fun of having different inks and pens. Mix and match!

I got the different pens covered, just need to work on different inks. Pelikan Brilliant Black is nice, but I need to buy some blues. The Bay State Blue really intriques me.

I had the same problem with Quink but only in my Parker Urban :lol: It seems to work fine for me in everything else on any type of paper.

I got the different pens covered, just need to work on different inks. Pelikan Brilliant Black is nice, but I need to buy some blues. The Bay State Blue really intriques me.
I got a sample a while back of the Baystate from the Goulets. I was very impressed with the color. Do be careful mixing and matching it with different pens. It is not pH neutral so you do NOT want to get it mixed in with another ink. Bad things can happen. From what Ive read you just have to be sure you carefully clean your pen and you should be fine. There are some campfire style horror stories floating around the internet about this ink and I don't think they are all well-founded.

Top Bottom