What's new

How does Hawk V3 shave compare to Vector Ti shave?

I've been enjoying my RazoRock Hawk V3, trying all three base plates - but all the time have had my eye on the Blackland Vector Titanium, and I'm wondering if anyone has done a straight-up comparison of the two. I've read @never-stop-learning's excellent overall thread (here) and it comes close, but he's pretty positive on both; I'm looking for a more head to head.

My Hawk experience:
  • Standard plate: Pleasant with all blades except one. Not an especially long-lasting shave. The Feather Pro Super was more aggressive than I'd want every day, though it did give a very long-lasting shave, once my ears grew back.
  • "A" plate: Pleasant with all blades; haven't tried the Pro Super and probably won't. (I can be taught). Shaves last nicely. Overall a great balance for me.
  • Open-comb plate (on loan from a gracious B&B person): Quite aggressive; made a Schick Proline feel a lot like the Feather Pro Super with the standard plate. I probably used too much pressure and I'll work with it more, but I predict this is going to be more aggressive than I want for every day shaving.
So... the Vector Ti looks innovative and maneuverable and generally cool, but if the level of aggressiveness (i.e., potential for irritation and weepers) is like the Hawk OC, or if the shave lasts like the Hawk standard, I'm probably better off sticking with my Hawk.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Tim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I've been enjoying my RazoRock Hawk V3, trying all three base plates - but all the time have had my eye on the Blackland Vector Titanium, and I'm wondering if anyone has done a straight-up comparison of the two. I've read @never-stop-learning's excellent overall thread (here) and it comes close, but he's pretty positive on both; I'm looking for a more head to head.

My Hawk experience:
  • Standard plate: Pleasant with all blades except one. Not an especially long-lasting shave. The Feather Pro Super was more aggressive than I'd want every day, though it did give a very long-lasting shave, once my ears grew back.
  • "A" plate: Pleasant with all blades; haven't tried the Pro Super and probably won't. (I can be taught). Shaves last nicely. Overall a great balance for me.
  • Open-comb plate (on loan from a gracious B&B person): Quite aggressive; made a Schick Proline feel a lot like the Feather Pro Super with the standard plate. I probably used too much pressure and I'll work with it more, but I predict this is going to be more aggressive than I want for every day shaving.
So... the Vector Ti looks innovative and maneuverable and generally cool, but if the level of aggressiveness (i.e., potential for irritation and weepers) is like the Hawk OC, or if the shave lasts like the Hawk standard, I'm probably better off sticking with my Hawk.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Tim
I have the Stainless Vector. Yes, the Ti Vector is definitely on my radar. ;)

Time has a way of bringing things into focus. As I've zeroed in on my preferred AC blade razors, the Vector has cemented its place as not only my favorite AC blade razor but also my favorite overall razor. Colonial Razors The General is my number two AC blade razor.

I'll be shaving with all of my AC blade razors for SEptember. Be good to revisit the RR Hawk V3 OC (an excellent razor, for sure), among others. :)

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have the Stainless Vector. Yes, the Ti Vector is definitely on my radar. ;)

Time has a way of bringing things into focus. As I've zeroed in on my preferred AC blade razors, the Vector has cemented its place as not only my favorite AC blade razor but also my favorite overall razor. Colonial Razors The General is my number two AC blade razor.

I'll be shaving with all of my AC blade razors for SEptember. Be good to revisit the RR Hawk V3 OC (an excellent razor, for sure), among others. :)
I'm hoping you'll get a few more shaves with your Claymore Evo to see if it can at least tie with the General. <eg>

My Hawk experience:

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Tim
Hi Tim,

Sorry for the late reply, but I hadn't looked at this sub-forum for a while. I had a SS Vector that I tried for 5 months to love. It was just too much for me as a daily shaver. I had wonderfully close shaves but lasting irritation. I bought a SS Hawk V3 standard head and loved it so much more! I was also able to procure a Colonial the General head, v2, and it shaved closer than the Hawk and felt as good. Then came the chance to buy a Ti Vector off the BST. Shane at Blackland had a nice blog post about how titanium changes the face feel of Blackbird and tames it a bit for many shavers. I figured this would be true for the Vector as well, and I was right!

The Ti Vector is outstanding in my experience. It gives me an amazingly close shave that is utterly comfortable. I was so smitten that I sold both the Hawk and the General shortly after the Vector arrived. In retrospect, I should have kept the Hawk, as some days I want that utterly "mindless" close shave it gives. The Ti Vector is fantastic, don't get me wrong, but for the price of the Hawk, I should have kept it for lazy day shaves!

The Ti Vector is outstanding in my experience. It gives me an amazingly close shave that is utterly comfortable.

Sigh. Every time I shave with my RR Hawk, "A" plate, I think, "This is what I want. Why would I want a Ti Vector? This Hawk is just right."

You're trying to cost me $400, aren't you? :redface-new:

Actually, this is great input - exactly what I was asking for. Thank you!

I'll keep watching for the Ti Vector to come back into stock.

Thanks,
Tim

The Vector is on my radar. I only have a General at the moment as my only SE razor....but do have an ATT SE1 ordered and hopefully inbound this week. The General is a very nice shaver and hoping the SE1 is a performer too. I know the Vector gets mad respect and I would assume the Ti version is great if you like light weight razors.

My Hawk experience:

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Tim
I'm sorry that I can't provide any information regarding your question about comparing the Hawk and the Vector, as I have never used any version of the Vector. I have a question for you regarding the Hawk. Using the standard plate (the only one I currently own), I get great shaves with the Feather Pro Super, and I haven't had any issues with cuts, nicks or irritation, but it requires a bit more concentration than I'm prepared to commit to for every day shaving. If I use a Feather Pro or Schick Proline, the results are a bit disappointing. So I'm looking at a few different options: (1) "A" plate with Feather Pro or Proline, (2) Open-comb plate with Feather Pro or Proline, or (3) Standard plate with a different blade that falls in between the Feather Pro and and the Pro Super. For option (3), I don't know if such a blade exists. I've never tried any of the Kai blades - is there one that falls in that range? For options (1) and (2), which do you find yourself using more, the "A" plate or the Open-Comb?

I'm sorry that I can't provide any information regarding your question about comparing the Hawk and the Vector, as I have never used any version of the Vector. I have a question for you regarding the Hawk. Using the standard plate (the only one I currently own), I get great shaves with the Feather Pro Super, and I haven't had any issues with cuts, nicks or irritation, but it requires a bit more concentration than I'm prepared to commit to for every day shaving. If I use a Feather Pro or Schick Proline, the results are a bit disappointing. So I'm looking at a few different options: (1) "A" plate with Feather Pro or Proline, (2) Open-comb plate with Feather Pro or Proline, or (3) Standard plate with a different blade that falls in between the Feather Pro and and the Pro Super. For option (3), I don't know if such a blade exists. I've never tried any of the Kai blades - is there one that falls in that range? For options (1) and (2), which do you find yourself using more, the "A" plate or the Open-Comb?
Although I haven't been using the Hawk v3 lately, I do have it with both the standard and OC plate. While the standard plate was relatively safe, I found it too mild and the shave angle limiting. I found the OC plate, with either a Feather or Proline, meaningfully increased efficiency, along with blade feel. I could approach the efficiency of the Vector SS SB with the Hawk v3 OC plate and either of those two blades. However I prefer the Vector's level of comfort and maneuverability.

I have sampled most, but not all, of the AC blades. I don't think there is a blade level that sits between the Feather Pro and Super. I rotate between the Feather Pro and Kai Captain Titan Mild PINK in the Vector. I am considering trying the Super in the Vector for an efficiency bump. Also, I have read mixed reports on whether the A plate is more aggressive than the OC plate. I do wonder if the blade feel of the OC might be creating the perception.

Although I haven't been using the Hawk v3 lately, I do have it with both the standard and OC plate. While the standard plate was relatively safe, I found it too mild and the shave angle limiting. I found the OC plate, with either a Feather or Proline, meaningfully increased efficiency, along with blade feel. I could approach the efficiency of the Vector SS SB with the Hawk v3 OC plate and either of those two blades. However I prefer the Vector's level of comfort and maneuverability.

I have sampled most, but not all, of the AC blades. I don't think there is a blade level that sits between the Feather Pro and Super. I rotate between the Feather Pro and Kai Captain Titan Mild PINK in the Vector. I am considering trying the Super in the Vector for an efficiency bump. Also, I have read mixed reports on whether the A plate is more aggressive than the OC plate. I do wonder if the blade feel of the OC might be creating the perception.
I get great shaves with the Feather Pro Super, and I haven't had any issues with cuts, nicks or irritation, but it requires a bit more concentration than I'm prepared to commit to for every day shaving. If I use a Feather Pro or Schick Proline, the results are a bit disappointing. So I'm looking at a few different options:

tl;dr: I like the "A" plate with any blade other than Feather Pro Super, and perhaps best with the Schick Proline.

I'm aligned with what what @Rocket 1 said above. Separating plates from blades:
  • Plates:
    • I started with the standard plate and various blades other than the Feather Pro Super. Very comfortable, but as you say, "a bit disappointing" in terms of closeness and longevity. With the Feather Pro Super and standard plate I got a lot of blade feel, and it was more aggressive than I want for daily use - but a long-lasting shave.
    • I moved to the "A" plate, which is where I am happy now. With blades other than the Feather Pro Super the "A" plate feels (to me; YMMV) very much like the standard plate, but my shaves last - most days they last wonderfully.
    • I borrowed an OC plate and with every blade I tried it felt rough on my face and very aggressive; I spent a lot of time wondering if I'd put it on upside down or something.
      • I couldn't / can't believe RazoRock says OC is less aggressive than the "A" plate; not my experience at all. I wrote to them to tell them they're goofy but haven't heard back. (Go figure).
      • Maybe I'm a wimp, maybe my angle was wrong, maybe I just don't like teeth on my face, but I was happy I didn't buy an OC plate because I didn't like it. At all. (Note: I had a similar reaction [less severe] to a Fatip Piccolo, which might be the only other OC razor I've shaved with. Maybe I just hate OC).
  • Blades - I haven't been very systematic about blades. Take a look at the figure on the bottom of this page (skip past the razors to the blades). Generally:
    • The Feather Pro Super stands by itself as most aggressive. I'm keeping some on hand because, with focus, they really give a good shave, but I feel one inattentive slip away from blood. But a great shave.
    • The Schick Proline seems a little more aggressive than the Kai... kinda. Generally. I need to test more, but the Schick is really great.
    • In the Hawk I've found very little difference (except price) between guarded and equivalent unguarded blades. I suspect the guards are more valuable in shavettes.
So roughly speaking in arbitrary numbers, if moving from Kai Pink to the Feather Pro Super is a +5, the "A" plate is a +2, and the Schick Proline is a +1. The OC plate is a +(I didn't like it).

Sorry I'm not more succinct. I highly recommend the "A" plate.

Tim

Thanks for that info. I used to have a Hawk OC plate, but I sold it as I found the OC teeth to be uncomfortably harsh. I was hoping that one of the Kai blades would be in between the efficiency of the Feather Pro and Pro Super, but it doesn't seem that way. It looks as if there is a Hawk "A" plate in my future.

tl;dr: I like the "A" plate with any blade other than Feather Pro Super, and perhaps best with the Schick Proline.

I'm aligned with what what @Rocket 1 said above. Separating plates from blades:
  • Plates:
    • I started with the standard plate and various blades other than the Feather Pro Super. Very comfortable, but as you say, "a bit disappointing" in terms of closeness and longevity. With the Feather Pro Super and standard plate I got a lot of blade feel, and it was more aggressive than I want for daily use - but a long-lasting shave.
    • I moved to the "A" plate, which is where I am happy now. With blades other than the Feather Pro Super the "A" plate feels (to me; YMMV) very much like the standard plate, but my shaves last - most days they last wonderfully.
    • I borrowed an OC plate and with every blade I tried it felt rough on my face and very aggressive; I spent a lot of time wondering if I'd put it on upside down or something.
      • I couldn't / can't believe RazoRock says OC is less aggressive than the "A" plate; not my experience at all. I wrote to them to tell them they're goofy but haven't heard back. (Go figure).
      • Maybe I'm a wimp, maybe my angle was wrong, maybe I just don't like teeth on my face, but I was happy I didn't buy an OC plate because I didn't like it. At all. (Note: I had a similar reaction [less severe] to a Fatip Piccolo, which might be the only other OC razor I've shaved with. Maybe I just hate OC).
  • Blades - I haven't been very systematic about blades. Take a look at the figure on the bottom of this page (skip past the razors to the blades). Generally:
    • The Feather Pro Super stands by itself as most aggressive. I'm keeping some on hand because, with focus, they really give a good shave, but I feel one inattentive slip away from blood. But a great shave.
    • The Schick Proline seems a little more aggressive than the Kai... kinda. Generally. I need to test more, but the Schick is really great.
    • In the Hawk I've found very little difference (except price) between guarded and equivalent unguarded blades. I suspect the guards are more valuable in shavettes.
So roughly speaking in arbitrary numbers, if moving from Kai Pink to the Feather Pro Super is a +5, the "A" plate is a +2, and the Schick Proline is a +1. The OC plate is a +(I didn't like it).

Sorry I'm not more succinct. I highly recommend the "A" plate.

Tim
Thanks, Tim. As I just said in my reply to @Rocket 1, it looks as if there is a Hawk A plate in my future.
-Steve

Shane had said he expected to have stock of the Ti Vectors pretty soon, though I expect his short-term focus is on the new Blackbirds.

We're just waiting on production to wrap up for the Vector Ti. Most of the components have been completed so we're pretty close. If we're really, really lucky they'll be here this month. If we're medium lucky it should be early Sept. :)

Top Bottom