What's new

How does Black Badger Differ from Pure Badger?

Ok, I'm an experienced wet shaver, but I've never had a black badger brush. Pure badger brushes tend to be sparsely packed and very scritchy. Is black badger the same way, or is it different from most scratchy pure badger hair?

I will be waiting for someone with experience of a Black Badger to check in as well. My guess would be that they are similar- don't forget that there is no convention for grading badger hair; one manufacturer's Pure could be someone else's Best.

My black badger brushes are Omegas.They are great brushes for the price,and not scratchy .They do not come packed like a Duke,nor do the tips feel soft and "gel-like",but for the money they whip up a fine lather very easily.There are " grey" badger knots as well,this would be the lowest grade,and could contain hair from anywhere on the badger.Grey knots tend to be the least dense of all the knots I have seen.

I have a Vie-Long "black badger" and I've used an Omega "black badger." Both seemed much softer to me than the Plisson "pure badger" I sold a while back. The Vie-Long in particular, is very nice for the price and is relatively dense. It even seems softer than the Semogue "silvertip badger" I have.

I had a whipped dog black badger, I used it twice and got rid of it. It was just way too prickly for me, the tips felt like they were sticking into my skin when I face lathered. I do like brushes with soft tips however, so I'm sure its a YMMV thing.

I had a whipped dog black badger, I used it twice and got rid of it. It was just way too prickly for me, the tips felt like they were sticking into my skin when I face lathered. I do like brushes with soft tips however, so I'm sure its a YMMV thing.
The same with me, i had for a while a FS black badger.

It's black as night.
I have a vintage Eveready Black Badger that is a fine brush. Much softer than the Pure I've had.

I just re-knotted a custom brush with a black badger. As far as comparison purposes vs. my Tweezerman pure badger, they feel about the same scritchiness. I love a little scritch in my brushes. I love to scrub in my lather, which helps cut my coarse beard.

All the black badger brushes I've stocked are quite soft, I'd say more-so than regular "pure" brushes. No idea if there's a real difference or its just my perception.

Top Bottom