What's new

How does a SE really shave (stiff whiskers) vs. slant?

I have stiff whiskers, no baby face. I currently shave with a DE Merkur slant. My current razor is very efficient, slices thick whiskers without problems, and lets me go in all directions. It also doesn't clog and rinses easy. The Slant is a no B.S. simple daily shaver for me.

I've also read the slant may not be giving me the awesome shave because it's a slant, but because it's "aggressive". My Merkur chrome finish is also finally wearing (people dropping my razor in the sink?). So it's time to think of a new razor, and this has me wondering about single edge razors, the aggressiveness, angle, easy to clean, no clog.

Thoughts on comparison?

I have used a Merkur 37c, and for a while it was my daily driver. I'm don't remember what made me stop using it, but I sold it to someone who was in the market for one a few months ago. After that I was using my E-1 Fat Boy almost exclusively.
Recently a coworker gave my son a GEM bullet tip to "shave" with when he shaved with me. Out of blind curiosity, I ordered myself some Treet Super SE blades to give it a go.
I have to say I am glad I did!
By comparison, the Micromatic Bullet Tip LOOKS like it should be more aggressive (IMO) just at first glance because of how much blade appears to be exposed. But the shape of the head, which dictates what angle you should hold it, is what set it apart from my other razors. I found the right angle immediately. Compared to the 37c, I experienced almost zero blade feel even though the audio feedback would have suggested otherwise.
And the Micromatic gave me a shave that was closer and more comfortable than any other razor I had tried since starting wet shaving last year. I may not go back to my DE razors except for the occasional shave for nostalgia's sake! I've since gotten an Ever Ready "shovelhead", a GEM featherweight, a GEM push button, and I'm currently looking for a Micromatic open comb. To complicate matters further, I also started using a Schick Injector type G. All this in the hopes of finding what I hope may be my one-and-only.
But for the price and availability, you can't go wrong trying.

If you do enough searching on this forum, you will find many people saying they "converted to SE razors," and no longer use their DE razors. Some have even sold their DE razors altogether.

I was skeptical, having shaved with DE razors for years. One day, for whatever reason, I decided to use a Gem that was handed down to me. I didn't get a good shave from it, so I was even more convinced DE shaving was better for me.

After words of encouragement from some of the members here, I kept at it and the Gem shaves did improve. The shaves improved enough to pique my interest in SE shaving.

Soon after I purchased a Gem MMOC for just shy of $10 from eBay. The shave from the MMOC was amazing. It was close and comfortable, leaving me with a great shave.

Soon after that I purchased two Schick injectors from a BB member and shaved with them for the first time tonight. The E type was the winner of the two, leaving me BBS with comfort.

I now have a second gold plated MMOC on order, as well as a chrome plated MMCP arriving soon.

I haven't given up on DE's. I did recently purchase two amazing Timeless razors from a BB member, and I do intend to use them regularly.

All that being said, I'm probably 90% converted to SE's.

You absolutely should try it. You don't have much to lose, since you can get a great razor for very cheap.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

Two great responses above. I used a RazoRock German 37 for several shaves. It's a clone of the older Merkur 37c. I never quite got the hang of it, but it delivered fairly decent shaves for me. I could have probably made it work eventually. I have fairly coarse, Italian whiskers, but no gray in them (yet! It's all on my head lol). I started with GEM razors but struggled and sold them. I tried out a RazoRock Hawk and SS Colonial General in the AC format. It took awhile before I got Schick Proline blades for them which is what made me enjoy them, I had rough shaves but better than the GEMs. In the meantime, I had found injectors. These were my "gateway SE" if you will. Smooth, efficient, gentle on my skin, and very safe. I have a hard time cutting myself with them. I do get the odd weeper when I plane off a zit or go overboard on chasing BBS, but they're becoming uncommon. I repurchased a GEM Junior and really enjoy it now that I'm using the correct angle (cap flat against the skin or ever so slightly off the skin). I sold all of my DEs when I found injectors. I purchased a few classic DEs, but don't ever use them (pre war tech, NEW SC, Schick Krona). I get closer, more comfortable, quicker and safer shaves with my SEs.

And the GEMs and injectors are cheap! It's a big rabbit hole though. The shaves are beyond worth it, though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

If you do enough searching on this forum, you will find many people saying they "converted to SE razors," and no longer use their DE razors. Some have even sold their DE razors altogether.

I was skeptical, having shaved with DE razors for years. One day, for whatever reason, I decided to use a Gem that was handed down to me. I didn't get a good shave from it, so I was even more convinced DE shaving was better for me.

After words of encouragement from some of the members here, I kept at it and the Gem shaves did improve. The shaves improved enough to pique my interest in SE shaving.

Soon after I purchased a Gem MMOC for just shy of $10 from eBay. The shave from the MMOC was amazing. It was close and comfortable, leaving me with a great shave.

Soon after that I purchased two Schick injectors from a BB member and shaved with them for the first time tonight. The E type was the winner of the two, leaving me BBS with comfort.

I now have a second gold plated MMOC on order, as well as a chrome plated MMCP arriving soon.

I haven't given up on DE's. I did recently purchase two amazing Timeless razors from a BB member, and I do intend to use them regularly.

All that being said, I'm probably 90% converted to SE's.

You absolutely should try it. You don't have much to lose, since you can get a great razor for very cheap.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk
Great post. Very balanced and helpful. I would add that if the OP intends to give the GEM type a try they should look for the coated PTFE GEM blades and not box cutter type. These are available from several vendors including, GEM - Stainless Steel PTFE Coated - $0.50 each - Double Edge Razor Blade

Add me to the column of people who have switched to GEM and sold off all of their DE razors. I want to add one point: I have the difficult combination of a tough beard but sensitive skin. Despite trying all different types of DE razors from mild to aggressive, including slants, as well as countless different razor blades, my skin was always irritated. Well, the irritation is completely gone now that I have switched to the GEM system (my 3 favorites: GEM Bullet, GEM MMOC, and Blackland L2). I believe that the GEM blade/system is more rigid. Less blade chatter = Less irritation. So, add another benefit to the GEM system.

Add me to the column of people who have switched to GEM and sold off all of their DE razors. I want to add one point: I have the difficult combination of a tough beard but sensitive skin. Despite trying all different types of DE razors from mild to aggressive, including slants, as well as countless different razor blades, my skin was always irritated. Well, the irritation is completely gone now that I have switched to the GEM system (my 3 favorites: GEM Bullet, GEM MMOC, and Blackland L2). I believe that the GEM blade/system is more rigid. Less blade chatter = Less irritation. So, add another benefit to the GEM system.
Please join Micromatic Monday and use any GEM you prefer.

I have a bunch of slants - a Merkur barberpole, a Krect, a PAA Fasan knockoff, a no-name German travel slant, a Pomco (rebranded Merkur), an Apollo, and a Schotz, and only the Schotz is as good as my best SE razors. I highly recommend you pick up a GEM Micromatic OC or Clog-Pruf, or an Ever Ready 1914, or a Schick Type E, G, or I.

But if by any chance you run across a Schotz slant, grab it. They are hard to find.

I have stiff whiskers and have both an ATT slant (S2) and an SE1 I find them to be equal at the end of the shave...SE1 is more pleasant to use except for under my jawline where the manuverability of the slant serves me better. I ended up getting both a Sabre and a vector which are the best of both worlds (for me). for now I am an SE convert and both ATTs will be put up for sale soon, and I may need to decide between the 2 Blacklands.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I have stiff whiskers and have both an ATT slant (S2) and an SE1 I find them to be equal at the end of the shave...SE1 is more pleasant to use except for under my jawline where the manuverability of the slant serves me better. I ended up getting both a Sabre and a vector which are the best of both worlds (for me). for now I am an SE convert and both ATTs will be put up for sale soon, and I may need to decide between the 2 Blacklands.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

+1.

I was going to say that slants are easier to maneuver in tight places than GEM bladed SEs

I like Slants and think they, along with the Fat Tips, are the best of the DE format. That said I'm primarily a SE shaver and have most of the metal GEM's. I use the OCMM the most but also favor the 1912, and 1914 too. They just provide a superior shave. . . . . . . "The convenience of a safety razor, with the shave quality of a straight".

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
12-10-18.Kit.640.E-2.Oud.Zenith..JPG

I like slants and single edge razors such as injectors like the E-2, link, and AC safety razors. They're all good if they work for you! My linked post tells what I'm looking for in a razor, etc.

We just need a slant razor in the AC safety razor format. Stan at ATT mentioned having considered on, it would be the SE3; alas, he doesn't seem to be fixing to make it.

There are many very good razors.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
What is the recommended starter SE razor/blade for someone that like the aggressive "slant" type of shave?
I also don't want a large shave head that'll get in the way.

Is it the Schick E2 and GEM - Stainless Steel PTFE Coated blades?

Thanks in advance.

What is the recommended starter SE razor/blade for someone that like the aggressive "slant" type of shave?

Thanks in advance.
GEM would be a large, flat shave head. The schicks would be small and nimble.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
All of the injectors are good (all that I've tried).

12-10-18.Kit.640.E-2.Oud.Zenith..JPG

My open to clean E-2 is a fabulous razor, but I've read that some gentlemen either don't like the E-2 (I can't imagine why if theirs is like mine) or have E-2 razors not in the league with mine. My E-2 is the only one I know anything about. Apparently they're not all alike, but mine is great.

10-23-18.L-3.Kit.640.JPG

I also very much like the tennis racket handled L-3 Schick. I

t will take either the Schick Chick blades like the E-2 or the Schick TWIN injector 11 blade which is an excellent blade that won't fit into many of the Schicks.

SchickTypeO.ebarbershopTypeOClone.TopJPG.JPG

The ebarbershop Type O clone (bottom) is also an excellent injector. It is an exact copy of the legendary Schick Type O (top) in all ways that matter. Both take the TWIN or the Chick blade.

There are other injectors I like, but these are my favorites.

Joel @Johnnynroy has injectors I've not tried.

Thanks in advance.

I recommend these razors for your consideration, but there really is not a consensus on SE razors. That said most gentlemen who try the injectors find them to be very good shavers in all respects.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Find it really depends on the razor. Have an Aristocrat Jr. TTO, Gillette RFB, and prewar triangular Tech that provide fantastic smooth shaves on my grey beard. These are equal to or better than my GEM / Ever-ready, Schick Injectors or ATT S1 razor.

Hi Jake,

Just like DE you really have to try a SE to have a reference point. I would suggest a Schick Injector as the heads are small. GEM heads will definitely get in the way. A Schick E or J can be found for under $20, a cheap way to see if they are for you. Many find E's are aggressive, J's more medium aggressive in my book. Chinese Schick blades are quite sharp, Prolines moreso, some find Personna blades smoother.

Enjoy, JM

Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom