What's new

How do you utilize your den for different types of shaves?

Do you have a favorite soap/brush/razor etc. that you only use on certain days, for special occasions? Perhaps a "beater" set of tools you use when your just staying at home?

If you are in a rush, do you pick up a mild razor and a cream/stick so you can go faster? Or an aggressive razor for less passes?

How does your routine vary depending on the different circumstances in your life?

**************************************************************************************************************************

I currently use a Polished Timeless Ti .95 with Scalloped Head and Spiral Handle with Nacet, Tabac, silver tip synthetic brush, bowl lather.

I want a slim den, and am thinking about getting a Backland Vector, and like the contrast it brings compared to the Timeless. AC vs. DE, SS vs Ti, Mild vs. Aggressive (I think), Machined vs. Polished (based on what I plan on buying).

Do you have a favorite soap/brush/razor etc. that you only use on certain days, for special occasions? Perhaps a "beater" set of tools you use when your just staying at home?

If you are in a rush, do you pick up a mild razor and a cream/stick so you can go faster? Or an aggressive razor for less passes?

How does your routine vary depending on the different circumstances in your life?

**************************************************************************************************************************

I currently use a Polished Timeless Ti .95 with Scalloped Head and Spiral Handle with Nacet, Tabac, silver tip synthetic brush, bowl lather.

I want a slim den, and am thinking about getting a Backland Vector, and like the contrast it brings compared to the Timeless. AC vs. DE, SS vs Ti, Mild vs. Aggressive (I think), Machined vs. Polished (based on what I plan on buying).
I’m really new here, but I understand your dilemma. I too wanted a simple answer to the perfect shave. It’s not simple. Every face is different. So, we go forward in the exploration!

First, I don’t think “rushing the shave” pairs well with the overall theme of why wet shavers are here on this forum.

Second, my wife also wants a “slim shave den”.

Third, it seems you have already “narrowed the field” based on those two comments in your OP and your selection of very fine razors to accomplish your mission.

But I think your question is unanswerable. Just the same as my belief early on, “that there is some magical razor, blade, cream, brush…..that always gives a perfect shave”.

Every face, beard/whiskers are different. Throw in face + razor + blade + cream/soap + prep + technique and what do you get? An almost infinite number of possibilities.

Thus my two cents is, (which is over-priced), the joy is not in a quick, perfect, rote-method of wet shaving, because it doesn’t exist. If it did, there would only be “one razor, one blade, one cream/soap”. The joy is in the experiment. And always remember, “It’s not the wand, it’s the magician”. I think technique trumps all the rest, up to a point. You need good, quality tools. No one ever won the Kentucky Derby on a mule.

So my polite suggestion would be to enjoy the journey, engage those here much wiser than myself, and then ultimately discover what gives YOU the best shaves. Again, just my two cents. Worth less than that.

Curly

Last edited:
At this time, I don't have any set favorites. I use a simple rotation system. With each blade change, I rotate to the next item in line:

1) Razor King C. Gillette / Van der Hagen / WCS 84S
2) Brushes Van der Hagen / Gray Dog / Omega--11126
3) Soaps Stirling Barbershop / Cattie’s Bubbles

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I keep three soaps/creams and two brushes in the bathroom. I'll have a free choice of any, irrespective of the type of shave.

As to razors, my primary razor is an Edwin Jagger DE3D14, and this will generally be used, irrespective of whether I'm doing one pass or three. However, I also keep a Merkur open comb and Dovo shavette to hand, for shifting heavy growth or tidying up the beard or moustache boundary edges. I may or may not choose to use the Jagger in the same shave.

My default position is to use the same equipment that I used the day before. Until I feel like a change. Sometimes I go for weeks without changing a thing.

I have even less method to my madness friend!
Hahaha….That’s part of the madness FarmerTan. I don’t make up my mind until I turn on the bathroom light and look in the mirror!…..My straight razor shaves require more time with the razor choice, stropping, slower shave time, clean up, stropping, oil, store away….etc.
😊👍💈

My razor and brush never get rotated, I have 2 sets, one for travel and one for home…with so many other hobbies, the missus will go mental if I become obsessed with this one and buy many other iterations of essentially the same thing that does the same job….. but I’ll sneak in another razor and brush and tell her I’ve had it for years in the back of the wardrobe and I had forgotten about it….touché my dear.

As far as soaps go, I only ever use one or 2 at a time until it’s used up, then I open another when they’re finished. As for blades, I have a few different makes, but will only order more if I get to 10 or less…

6879949F-7CBC-433E-A493-01962AFBE983.jpeg
9CFC7E0C-C49C-41C4-8DBC-ED13F551F0DA.jpeg

My razor and brush never get rotated, I have 2 sets, one for travel and one for home…with so many other hobbies, the missus will go mental if I become obsessed with this one and buy many other iterations of essentially the same thing that does the same job….. but I’ll sneak in another razor and brush and tell her I’ve had it for years in the back of the wardrobe and I had forgotten about it….touché my dear.

As far as soaps go, I only ever use one or 2 at a time until it’s used up, then I open another when they’re finished. As for blades, I have a few different makes, but will only order more if I get to 10 or less…

View attachment 1442308View attachment 1442309
Wish I had a big sink basin like yours. Mine is the traditional one that sloshes water everywhere. Also, you can conveniently take a seat while whipping up your lather, or if you accidentally cut yourself and feel a bit light headed.👍💈

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

View attachment 1442308View attachment 1442309
I don't care where you live, just let me know if your bathroom, er.... HOME is ever on the market my friend!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand

Anyone, who has any experience at all shaving with a DE razor, should know, that rushing, is a quick way to a weeper before the shave is over. Yes, I've seen GeoFatBoy do it a few times to prove a point that you can, but he's mainly doing a WTG pass really fast, you don't see him working that chin area or moostash area real hard in ATG passes that fast, cause even he knows, thats bad news.

Its IMO, that one should dedicate at least 1-hour in the morning for shaving. Trying to rush, is not going to land you a good feeling shave. And I bet after you have went all speed racer on your face, even if you didn't end up with knicks and weepers all over, run that alum block over your face, lets see how many stings you get lol.

I find that slow and steady overall wins the race. It generally takes me an hour to shave, for some people, that would be considered too long. And if you have a big family, I can understand not being able to tie up the bathroom that long, you might have to use the kitchen sink instead, might as well wash a few dishes with your shaving soap while your at it too.

So ya, I don't really change my routine, about the only thing I'd consider changing, is what soap I use.

Top Bottom