What's new

How do you use your dual comb razor?

I'm currently using a Wolfman WR1 dual open/closed comb (same gap). Previously I've also owned a Timeless DC. I'm so used to flipping double edge razors but I don't flip the DC. On a two pass shave I'll use the OC side only WTG and then the SB side only ATG. My assumption is that the OC is designed for longer whiskers, so that's why I start with OC. But, I shave daily so my growth isn't very long. It recently crossed my mind to perhaps use a side depending where I was shaving on my face. For example my chin is the hardest to shave without issues and parts of my neck. Perhaps I should be thinking which side is better suited for those areas. I've also thought about flipping the razor as I would a regular razor and not care which side I use. I could also use only one side for an entire shave, or make each side blade specific if there is a difference between blades. The two sides also rinse a bit differently. If the soap is a little under hydrated and a bit gummy, the OC is easier to rinse the soap out. Does anyone use a deliberate purpose/method for a DC razor, or is it only a way to test out both options of a razor without buying two razors.
Imagepipe_0.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I don't have a DC, so I can't really say anything. But you bring up a lot of ideas for me to kick around.

I'm a "twirler", I almost unconsciously flip the head around as I shave.... I really only use my Gillette New Long Comb, probably 90+% of the time.

I have two WR2 DC razors a 1.15 & a 1.35
For the 1.15 the OC & SB sides aren't that
Dramatic of a difference but with the 1.35
The difference is much more profound ,
But I use the same technique for both, what
I do is use the SB for the first pass wtg and
The OC for the 2nd pass xtg 2 passes for
The 1.35 gets me a BBS result with the 1.15
I do 1st pass with SB wtg 2nd & 3rd passes
xtg in both directions with the OC side
3 passes for BBS result...

I have two WR2 DC razors a 1.15 & a 1.35
For the 1.15 the OC & SB sides aren't that
Dramatic of a difference but with the 1.35
The difference is much more profound ,
But I use the same technique for both, what
I do is use the SB for the first pass wtg and
The OC for the 2nd pass xtg 2 passes for
The 1.35 gets me a BBS result with the 1.15
I do 1st pass with SB wtg 2nd & 3rd passes
xtg in both directions with the OC side
3 passes for BBS result...
Interesting. You start SB WTG. I start OC WTG. How many days growth are you usually working on? I'm not sure if the OC is used with the understanding that it handles longer whiskers better, or that it's just an overall more aggressive/efficient razor.

Interesting. You start SB WTG. I start OC WTG. How many days growth are you usually working on? I'm not sure if the OC is used with the understanding that it handles longer whiskers better, or that it's just an overall more aggressive/efficient razor.
Always at least 3 days & quite often 4 or 5
Days growth & with the WR2 1.35 the OC is
Just an overall more efficient format but
With the 1.15 the OC & SB are a lot closer
To equal , though in my experience even
With 1.15 there is a clear step up in efficiency.
On the 1st pass when the hair is longer the
SB on the WR2 is more than capable of handling it , and brings me to a very close DFS , but on
The 2nd & 3rd passes the hair is much shorter
And the OC provides a little more blade on
The skin , it's like mowing the lawn, when the
Grass is shorter it needs a little more blade
On the ground..
The way the teeth are designed on the WR2
Causes the guard span to effect the shave
In a much more different way than on the SB
And that's my experience with the WR2..
And if you were to compare the teeth on
Several OC razors you'll notice that teeth
On the WR2 are quite different than most
Of the others

I used mine as a parts donor. I bought an Ikon OSS. By flipping to the OC side I could change from a shave that was too mild and ineffective to one that was marginally worse. The OSS is a silly gimmick. I then bought an Ikon B1 standard baseplate to use with the top cap and put the nice Ikon Bulldog handle on another razor. The dual comb baseplate is in a drawer, where it will probably stay. The B1 frankenrazor gets a lot of use though. :)

All my wolfmans are DC, and, with one exception, the same exposure on both sides. With other razors, I’m a bit of a twirler, though using the Wolfmans has reduced that tendency.

I’m more likely to go OC for my WTG; I shave every two days and usually don’t get much cleared with my WTG passes with SBs, and then I go to the SB side for XTG and ATG. I sometimes will go back to the OC to buff patches of my cheeks that are a bit of problem areas.

I've started to use only one side of my DC WR1 0.86 for a three pass shave. I can't say that I prefer one side over the other. But my shaves are never more than 24 hours apart so I could see things being different with more growth.

Interesting responses here as I guess there is no right answer.

I have a more aggressive Wolfman WR2 1.35DC and a less aggressive WR1 0.74DC.

I use the WR2 1.35 OC for 2-3 days of growth (which is rare for me as I try to shave most days) and will use the 1.35 SB for 36-48hrs growth. I don’t tend to switch between sides often with the 1.35. If I do, it is always OC for the first pass and SB for passes 2/3.

My daily shaver is the SB 0.74 WR1. If I have very little growth, I use the SB only. If I have slightly longer whiskers, I do one pass with the OC (with the grain) and 2 passes with the SB (against and across).

I love the DC heads though and would always go that route if available. Like two razors in one.

I don't have a DC, so I can't really say anything. But you bring up a lot of ideas for me to kick around.

I'm a "twirler", I almost unconsciously flip the head around as I shave.... I really only use my Gillette New Long Comb, probably 90+% of the time.
If you're a twirler and use a Gillette NEW LC 90% of the time, Congratulations. You're high on the food chain of shaving. You're my kind of shaver.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
If you're a twirler and use a Gillette NEW LC 90% of the time, Congratulations. You're high on the food chain of shaving. You're my kind of shaver.
High praise indeed from the "B&B Master of Classy Classic Photography!"

You have an excellent eye my friend, so I must assume you have GREAT taste in incredibly handsome faced shavers!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I have a RazoRock Lupo DC, the one with the .95 SB and .72 OC side.

Both sides are fairly close to each other, which I consider a wasted opportunity. But they work together well as they are nevertheless. The lower gap OC feels a lot like the higher gap SB side in terms of efficiency. When I found something the one side didn't clear, I used the other.

In general: Lips/sensitive areas: SB side. Beard/cleaning up: OC side.
I already mentioned it, the dilemma is I would rather have a .72 SB and a .95 OC side for more difference between both sides.

I was thinking about a .95 dual comb plate for my Timeless: But the .5 Slim OC does it all, particularly as Timeless has very safe OC designs. I am not talking about the Bronze one, this one is different.

A perfect candidate for a DC plate would be this razor: The Blackland Blackbird
The OC side is difficult for me as it wants one to ride the cap hard, while I am used to rather ride the BAR. But if you don't do that, it can be quite BEASTLY. I would rather take my R41 than shave with the Blackbird OC at a steep angle!
But it also shaves EXTREMELY CLEAN & CLOSE... really sublime.
The SB side is easier to handle, non aggressive, great for sensitive areas and cleaning up without danger.

I wouldn't mind paying extra, but I would love the option. Combining two very different sides would be my preferred solution, but also the rather close sides of the Lupo DC already offer me an improved shaving experience.

All my wolfmans are DC, and, with one exception, the same exposure on both sides. With other razors, I’m a bit of a twirler, though using the Wolfmans has reduced that tendency.

I’m more likely to go OC for my WTG; I shave every two days and usually don’t get much cleared with my WTG passes with SBs, and then I go to the SB side for XTG and ATG. I sometimes will go back to the OC to buff patches of my cheeks that are a bit of problem areas.
my only wolfman is a 1.15 OC, never tried an SB. Does it worth the trouble trying to purchase a dual comb or SB again in 1,15, or would the difference be negligible?

This is a great question. I have a Timeless Ti 0.68 Dual Comb (SB & OC). At first I used the OC side WTG, especially if I had a few days growth, and then the SB side. But more recently I’ve been using the SB side WTG first, and then the OC side, after the length of the whiskers has been cut down a little bit. And the OC side to clean up my chin areas and under my nose which are hard to get right. So there’s more than one way to do it. I love having the DC, however. It’s like having two razors.

my only wolfman is a 1.15 OC, never tried an SB. Does it worth the trouble trying to purchase a dual comb or SB again in 1,15, or would the difference be negligible?
I think it’s a classic case of YMMV and it depends what you have and other factors. I first got a WR2 dc with a 1.15sb and 1.05oc because I was worried that 1.15 OC would be too aggressive for me. After some use, I found that the 1.05 wasn’t efficient for me and wound up getting a 1.15dc.

There’s a little difference between the SB and OC. I think if I had all SB, I wouldn’t get a second with an OC. I’d go again for a different blade gap rather than a different guard, but that’s just me.

only one hybrid I do not use to much a yates

what I notice for me about combs is they tend to get the troughs or deeper spots to the same length easier
I think they make the trouble spots need less clean up

so I was flipping to the comb for those spots under jawline and neck valleys more so 3rd pass ATG and clean up when I can feel I still have whiskies that are there

using just my comb razor (timeless) 68 comb 68 straight I notice I have to do less cleanup but I can get irritation quicker with the comb so really in the end comb less passes straight more clean up end result about the same and sure I will change my mind with other razors :)

I've been using only one side for a three pass shave recently and I enjoy both equally. But I don't know what it's like to shave with more than 24 hours of growth, so if I was mowing down three or four days if growth perhaps my experience of OC vs SB might be very different. I think I'd buy the same format if I switch to a brass Wolf.

Interesting thread. I have a couple of dual comb Timeless razors and I tend to do like the OP - use the open comb for the first pass and then continue with the solid bar - just because I imagine the open comb will help a bit more to avoid the hairs clogging the razor. But I haven’t given it more than a cursory thought and maybe it doesn’t really matter which side you use for what. I am interested to see if anyone actually does find that one side makes a significant difference when used a certain way.

Top Bottom