What's new

How do you use your dual comb razor?

I'm currently using a Wolfman WR1 dual open/closed comb (same gap). Previously I've also owned a Timeless DC. I'm so used to flipping double edge razors but I don't flip the DC. On a two pass shave I'll use the OC side only WTG and then the SB side only ATG. My assumption is that the OC is designed for longer whiskers, so that's why I start with OC. But, I shave daily so my growth isn't very long. It recently crossed my mind to perhaps use a side depending where I was shaving on my face. For example my chin is the hardest to shave without issues and parts of my neck. Perhaps I should be thinking which side is better suited for those areas. I've also thought about flipping the razor as I would a regular razor and not care which side I use. I could also use only one side for an entire shave, or make each side blade specific if there is a difference between blades. The two sides also rinse a bit differently. If the soap is a little under hydrated and a bit gummy, the OC is easier to rinse the soap out. Does anyone use a deliberate purpose/method for a DC razor, or is it only a way to test out both options of a razor without buying two razors. Imagepipe_0.jpg

FarmerTan

FarmerStan the Man
I don't have a DC, so I can't really say anything. But you bring up a lot of ideas for me to kick around.

I'm a "twirler", I almost unconsciously flip the head around as I shave.... I really only use my Gillette New Long Comb, probably 90+% of the time.

I have two WR2 DC razors a 1.15 & a 1.35
For the 1.15 the OC & SB sides aren't that
Dramatic of a difference but with the 1.35
The difference is much more profound ,
But I use the same technique for both, what
I do is use the SB for the first pass wtg and
The OC for the 2nd pass xtg 2 passes for
The 1.35 gets me a BBS result with the 1.15
I do 1st pass with SB wtg 2nd & 3rd passes
xtg in both directions with the OC side
3 passes for BBS result...

I have two WR2 DC razors a 1.15 & a 1.35
For the 1.15 the OC & SB sides aren't that
Dramatic of a difference but with the 1.35
The difference is much more profound ,
But I use the same technique for both, what
I do is use the SB for the first pass wtg and
The OC for the 2nd pass xtg 2 passes for
The 1.35 gets me a BBS result with the 1.15
I do 1st pass with SB wtg 2nd & 3rd passes
xtg in both directions with the OC side
3 passes for BBS result...
Interesting. You start SB WTG. I start OC WTG. How many days growth are you usually working on? I'm not sure if the OC is used with the understanding that it handles longer whiskers better, or that it's just an overall more aggressive/efficient razor.

Interesting. You start SB WTG. I start OC WTG. How many days growth are you usually working on? I'm not sure if the OC is used with the understanding that it handles longer whiskers better, or that it's just an overall more aggressive/efficient razor.
Always at least 3 days & quite often 4 or 5
Days growth & with the WR2 1.35 the OC is
Just an overall more efficient format but
With the 1.15 the OC & SB are a lot closer
To equal , though in my experience even
With 1.15 there is a clear step up in efficiency.
On the 1st pass when the hair is longer the
SB on the WR2 is more than capable of handling it , and brings me to a very close DFS , but on
The 2nd & 3rd passes the hair is much shorter
And the OC provides a little more blade on
The skin , it's like mowing the lawn, when the
Grass is shorter it needs a little more blade
On the ground..
The way the teeth are designed on the WR2
Causes the guard span to effect the shave
In a much more different way than on the SB
And that's my experience with the WR2..
And if you were to compare the teeth on
Several OC razors you'll notice that teeth
On the WR2 are quite different than most
Of the others

I used mine as a parts donor. I bought an Ikon OSS. By flipping to the OC side I could change from a shave that was too mild and ineffective to one that was marginally worse. The OSS is a silly gimmick. I then bought an Ikon B1 standard baseplate to use with the top cap and put the nice Ikon Bulldog handle on another razor. The dual comb baseplate is in a drawer, where it will probably stay. The B1 frankenrazor gets a lot of use though. :)

Top Bottom