What's new

How do you use a vintage scuttle?

Scuttles are nice nostalgic way to soak brush and place already made lather on top to keep warm for second pass, sometimes I'll use mine but personally I just keep my soap in the favorite bowl that I pressed it in and puck lather, soak brush in a small ceramic custard cup. no fuss no muss, just simple.

I know there was a thread on this very topic, but my understanding is you soak the brush below, load it on the top with soap and lather on the face. A hard soap puck has never completely blocked the holes on any of my scuttles. I have a Fuller brush scuttle which is a slightly different design. I haven't used this one yet, but the snow starts tomorrow so a warm shave is in order.
s-l1600 (1).jpgs-l1600.jpg

ah, here is the old thread:
The really authoritative post is #33 which reprints some old patent applications detailing how the scuttles work.

I would probably prefer a modern(?) scuttle, which is basically the lathering bowl placed in a larger mug which holds hot water to keep your lather warm. I say this because I normally bowl lather rather than face lather. Tabac stick is my exception. Something along these lines:

B92DD9D3-66E0-4630-BA0E-BCAC41F016DC.jpeg

Here’s one that’s a bit different:
B7458655-22BB-46B9-9119-07B0ABDF7971.jpeg

Here is the one I am using currently. I am using a soft artisan soap. It holds about 2 ounces. Just pack it in and don't worry about the holes. Some mugs don't even have them. The term scuttle is not used on the old patents. They will say "improved shaving mug" or something like that.

Attachments

• 20211112_140935~2.jpg
    20211112_140935~2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Here is the one I am using currently. I am using a soft artisan soap. It holds about 2 ounces. Just pack it in and don't worry about the holes. Some mugs don't even have them. The term scuttle is not used on the old patents. They will say "improved shaving mug" or something like that.
That kind looks like it would be hard to load the brush.

That looks like a 'mustache mug', designed to prevent ones mustache, waxed or otherwise (there's a joke in there somewhere :001_tongu ) from getting wet when drinking tea or other liquids.

However, it would work as a shave mug as well.

That kind looks like it would be hard to load the brush.
That my initial fear too, but in practice it is easy. Use a smaller brush, like most vintage ones, and don't try to over load it. Start lathering up your face, dip in the water, load a little more soap and continue to lather. You can lather up your face as thick as you want while keeping neat and tidy with the mug.

That looks like a 'mustache mug', designed to prevent ones mustache, waxed or otherwise (there's a joke in there somewhere :001_tongu ) from getting wet when drinking tea or other liquids.

However, it would work as a shave mug as well.
Until you look inside. That is a soap holder, not a mustache shield. It is even stamped "Shaving Mug" on the bottom.
20210901_104649~2.jpg
20210929_082422.jpg

That my initial fear too, but in practice it is easy. Use a smaller brush, like most vintage ones, and don't try to over load it. Start lathering up your face, dip in the water, load a little more soap and continue to lather. You can lather up your face as thick as you want while keeping neat and tidy with the mug.
No Simpson Chubby 3? 😄

Top Bottom