What's new

How do you travel, especially short trips?

I'm new to wet shave and DE (still waiting for my first DE razor to arrive). I've been working on brush lather technique and trying a few different cremes/soaps over the last few weeks, but still using a Fusion cartridge at the moment. I have a feeling I'm really going to enjoy DE so I have a preemptive questions...

How do you DE guys travel? I travel fairly frequently for business, 2 or 3 times a month, and usually for 1-3 days at a time. I've streamlined my packing so I only have to take a carry on for up to 3 days, and a fairly small one at that. Given TSA rules, if you're going on a short trip and not checking a bag, do you just suck it up and use a cartridge, or do you take a DE razor without blade and try to source a blade when you arrive? If the latter, do you just pick up a basic Personna from the local drugstore or Wal-Mart, or do you try to source something better based on the travel resource in the wiki?

Has anyone gone as far as mailing a blade or two to the hotel you'll be staying at ahead of time? Seems This would be cheapest (no waste when you return if you have to buy a 5 blade pack) and let you chose any blade you have on hand.

Regardless of what route I take for razor, I'll likely have a fairly basic travel kit consisting of a cheap synthetic brush (or whatever brush is my third best at the time, with the second going in the shower) along a VDH soap and some travel size AS balm... mainly want to keep things low-rent in case I leave something behind.

Lastly, if you're shaving right before catching a flight, how do you dry out your brush in a hurry, or do you just toss it in a zip-loc bag and wash/dry it again when you get home?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Find some Bic Metal disposable razors. I really only see them online (Walgreens) but it is the closest thing to a de.

I travel a LOT for work. For a 2 day trip I have let standards slip and bring a Mach III. For a full week I mail blades ahead!

I never check a bag. Too impatient to wait at the other end for it to come off the luggage carousel. TSA is an unpredictable agency to be sure. I have gone through more than once with a fully loaded DE razor, I just forgot it was in there.

TSA is an unpredictable agency to be sure. I have gone through more than once with a fully loaded DE razor, I just forgot it was in there.

Have you ever gone through with a loaded DE and had it caught and/or needed to dump your blade? Seems like a small risk/cost if you can get through more timed than not.

a bit offtopic -- If I'm traveling, I've come to the point where I just check a bag -- since baggage charges became popular, the overhead bins are frequently over-stuffed, and I usually travel with 2 laptops. If I'm on business travel, I can expense the charge.

As for the DE, in those cases where I'm with a group that isn't checking (it does happen from time to time), I just bring the old mach3. However, I've recently started using a schick adjustable injector, and I believe that they offer no problems to the TSA, much in the same way that the mach3 is acceptable. I just picked up an old atra handle and blades, so I have a few options in this area. Who knows what I'll settle on.

I recently took a road trip to a couple cities in Texas over the holidays, and it was pretty nice being able to take my entire retinue of equipment.

As for the brush question, I've been using an omega pure badger brush (a little $25 number) and it came with a little plastic stand that fits inside a clear plastic tube that's opened at one end (the brush end). I've taken to shaking the brush really well, putting it on the stand and sliding on the cover. When I get home, it goes back on the shelf (sans cover) and it's been fine. Haven't had any funk show up in my dopp.

Hope it helps,
-- Chet

I mail blades ahead, taped between two business cards. It's nice to check in and have mail waiting. I also carry a backup sensor handle and cartridges.

For the brush, I keep a separate travel brush. Mine is an omega 10066: serviceable and very cheap.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to do some at-home testing with the BIC Regular and BIC Sensitive since I can source those locally. If those are promising but not quite there, I'll source the BIC Metal online.

It may shift the focus of the the thread, but knowing my own personal habits, even a $10-20 might be too much for a travel brush and/or DE razor, mainly because I forget things, including no less than twice I've left behind my entire toiletry bag in overseas hotels.

Now I'm thinking it might be a good idea to keep my entire toiletry bag around $5 out-of-pocket, mainly by being a hotel toiletry hoarder (including "i forgot my toothbrush/toothpaste/razor/etc") and not counting free items toward the total. Also front-desk cheap-o razors often include packets of a non-aerosol glycerin/paraffin based creme that's surprisingly serviceable, which if I can collect enough packets might be able to replace the soap.

Incorporating a super-cheap wet shave kit might push a bit over $5, but I think I can do it:

- Synthetic Barber Supply Brush - $2
- VDH Select Soap - $2
- Witch Hazel in empty hotel shampoo bottle - $0.25 including
- BIC Regular/Sensitive/Metal - $0.25
- Travel tooth brush - free (hotel front desk)
- Travel tooth paste - free (hotel front desk)
- Travel hair gel - $1.00
- Travel hair brush - free (airline lost-bag kit)
- Travel deodorant - free (airline lost-bag kit)

That puts a travel toiletry kit at $5.50 in out-of-pocket value while still fitting in a TSA clear zip-loc bag. If I'm able to replace the soap with the non-aerosol shave creme packets, that would further reduce weight and out-of-pocket value... and a hotel low-ball glass would make due for a lather bowl as well.

I know looking at this from the ultra-cheap point-of-view goes against a lot of why folks enjoy shaving as a hobby, but for travel and knowing my personal disposition towards losing travel toiletries, I do feel I have some solid reasoning.

Last edited:
I just want to clarify a few things.

First, don't ever take a loaded DE and try to get it through.

Second, a loaded injector is NOT acceptable like a cartridge razor is. It SHOULD be, but it is specifically restricted by the TSA rules. So you can't just substitute an injector for your cartridge razor.

My advice? Take a Bic Sensitive disposable or two, or take a Trac II or Atra.

Have you ever gone through with a loaded DE and had it caught and/or needed to dump your blade? Seems like a small risk/cost if you can get through more timed than not.

Yes, I have had to dump the blade. Then I land in my destination with no ability to shave (except the really awful disposable razors the hotels give away for free).

Depends on the TSA agent's mood. I forgot (honestly forgot, I swear!) a blade in my kit and had to dump it. Other times, just the presence of an unloaded DE in my carryon got me pulled aside and subjected to a full-on search of my entire bag. I can only imagine the headaches if they had found a blade somewhere in there.

I mail blades ahead, taped between two business cards. It's nice to check in and have mail waiting. I also carry a back sensor handle and cartridges.

For the brush, I keep a separate travel brush. Mine is an omega 10066: serviceable and very cheap.

I mail blades, also. I have a T&H travel brush and after drying it on a towel I use the hair dryer to dry it. Works fine for me. If it is a long trip I leave the brush out. If a short trip when I get home I open the tube and let it air dry for a day or so.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

Don't do it, it isn't worth the possible pain, and don't post here suggesting it.

My only plane trips recently have been personal, and I've been able to mail blades ahead. Quite apart from the extra expense of checking bags, I like to travel light, and have my bags with me.

I'm not going to try to "get away with" blades for any of my DE, SE, or injector razors.

In the unlikely event of business travel, I have a couple of cartridge solutions which would be okay. Most likely would go with a Schick Hydro 3.

. . .However, I've recently started using a schick adjustable injector, and I believe that they offer no problems to the TSA, much in the same way that the mach3 is acceptable. . .

This always comes up. Injector blades are not in a cartridge, and can be removed from the razor. They can be ejected from a magazine without ever putting them in a razor. That violates the TSA rules against blades not in a cartridge. You may get away with it because most people don't know about injector razors any more, and they superficially look like cartridges. I don't recommend trying it. You may get an unusually bright or suspicious TSA agent, or even one who uses an injector himself.

Top Bottom