What's new

How do YOU tell when it’s time for a new blade?

I shave everyday and found Feather and Personna Platinums good for me. Feather seems to get little rough after three shaves so I toss it. Personna 6-7 days than I toss even if they still feel okay. I'm expecting a delivery of 100 Treet Platinums tomorrow, I hope they give me a good smooth first shave maybe second and no matter what I will toss and load a new one, at 8 cents a blade its not worth taking a blade to far.
Feather and the Personnas are good but expensive and are mass produced which means I encounter some bad ones which I toss right away after first pass, so for the cost of the Treets if I get a bad one I won't feel bad tossing it. If it feels even slightly rough toss it.

Last edited:
Simple
Is it Monday?
Yes-new blade
No-old blade

Well throw wrench in mix, kid you have NASTY THICK beard it is harder on blades then some guy who is Blonde/Blue, and fine soft beard.

Time is teacher to when blade is not working like you like, then you change.

I think I tend to be on the lighter side of the isle. Still I wanted (hoped) I could find a solution where I didn't have to keep track.

As above, I am finding that the weekly blade change is working out for me.

This year, I started a thread to list the blades I am shaving with and changing weekly. With the optimistic outlook that it might serve as a sort of a guide.

Right now, I am on week #43 and am headed full on through week #52 and beyond. You can check out the thread at this link:

The 2023: 1-Blade, 1-Week, Daily Shaving Adventure

Your use isn't likely to be the same as mine. I am in complete agreement with the above comment.

But, my adventure does include the majority of popular available DE blades. The original listing has been expanded twice due to two blade exchanges.

Week #26 gives a updated reference list at that point in time.

Say you are finding that you are getting 4-5 shaves out of a particular blade. I would think it likely that you might get similar amount of shaves from the other blades I have listed?

If the weekly thing happens to work for you, then please give us a post or two!

One thing, that I do think it important to note. Modern razor blades are sharp and thin. Because of this, they may become damaged before they get dull and tug.

This will result in a sharp but damaged blade, that you end up dragging across your face. Naturally, this is not a good thing! So consider changing your blade when you feel razor burn. Or at the earliest sign of discomfort to your face.

If you find that you encounter this on day #5, for example, then change out your blade a day earlier.

Top Bottom