What's new

How do you tell the age of a New Deluxe?

I recently got a razor as part of a lot that I am pretty sure is a New Deluxe. It definitely has a New head and the body has the bottom that unscrews, allowing the top to come off. It has a serial number of 14184D. As I understand it the Deluxes were the only ones with serial numbers in 1930. What about afterwards?

I'd appreciate any help in dating the razor, which is really cool, even if it is essentially mostly brass at this time.

I recently got a razor as part of a lot that I am pretty sure is a New Deluxe. It definitely has a New head and the body has the bottom that unscrews, allowing the top to come off. It has a serial number of 14184D. As I understand it the Deluxes were the only ones with serial numbers in 1930. What about afterwards?

I'd appreciate any help in dating the razor, which is really cool, even if it is essentially mostly brass at this time.

The NEW DeLuxes were only made in 1930 and possibly a few in January 1931. They were officially discontinued after the October 16, 1930 merger of Gillette and Autostrop, but there was a short run out time.

The NEW DeLuxes were only made in 1930 and possibly a few in January 1931. They were officially discontinued after the October 16, 1930 merger of Gillette and Autostrop, but there was a short run out time.

And the lighting round goes to Guido.....on the money as always...:001_smile

Guido, did they vary in teeth/design as seen with the NEW. short toothed, long toothed, fat/skinny toothed?

Nope. The New DeLuxe family all had the same short-tooth, heavy, thick head. As far as I am concerned they were the finest shaving razors ever made. It is my most often used razor by far.

Nope. The New DeLuxe family all had the same short-tooth, heavy, thick head. As far as I am concerned they were the finest shaving razors ever made. It is my most often used razor by far.

I agree 100%. I have Merkurs regular, slant, vintage and all of the Gillettes, superspeed, old, fatboy, English Rockets, #66, Aristocrats...and NEW. My favorite HANDS DOWN is the NEW.:smile:

Well that's a relief! I thought we were going to have to cut the handle and count the rings!

Top Bottom