What's new

How do you take care of your finger and toe nails?

Since I'm getting the shaving thing under control, I'm guessing that I could be doing a better job with my fingers and toes.

Any suggestions for managing your finger nails and toe nails? I'm not going to a salon and would like to do it myself.

Thanks.

I use basic clippers to keep them trimmed down and will usually use a small emory board to file smooth the edges otherwise mine tend to crack.

If I'm getting dressed up I'll buff them a bit to make for a nicer, more refined appearance.

As mentioned, the Feather Parada nail clippers are the best you can buy. They are very sharp and they fire the clipped nail back into the receptacle in the handle. They also feel very high quality. I bought the small and large ones.

If you are talking foot care also, I bought Titania Foot Deodorant and Balsam from CS as well. I'm starting to take better care of my feet now, and it shows. Don't neglect your feet!

Thanks for the tips. I have to admit that I have a pair of small clippers that were a part of a grooming set I got when I was a teenager. It probably cost all of $5 from a drugstore. Being so old they don't work very well.

I checked out the Feather clippers and they look very well made. I will be getting a pair shortly.

Also, I have never used an emory board. I'm going to get one and also something to buff my nails as well as I've never done that either.

Someone also gave me a tip saying that you can use hand lotion on your finger and toe nails to make them softer and healthier. That sounds great as sometimes I get pieces of nail that dry up and flake off.

Thanks again.

Go get a manicure and pedicure and watch what she does to your hands and feet. I learned a lot when I went a couple weeks ago.

I must admit I just gnaw at my finger nails. I have tried over and over to quit and just can't seem to stop. I'd chew on my toes too, but am not that flexible.

rustyblade said:
As mentioned, the Feather Parada nail clippers are the best you can buy. They are very sharp and they fire the clipped nail back into the receptacle in the handle. They also feel very high quality. I bought the small and large ones.

If you are talking foot care also, I bought Titania Foot Deodorant and Balsam from CS as well. I'm starting to take better care of my feet now, and it shows. Don't neglect your feet!

Does this nail receptacle work that well? Sounds interesting as I tend to miss the garbage can or clip my nails outside.

I bought a grooming set from Penhaligon's which contains nail clippers...small file...scissors...

The nail clippers look to be like the ones that Charles sells...I was going to order the toenail clippers from him since the nail clippers work very well...but the feather ones from classic are $10 less. Maybe I should order those instead.

I have been giving it thought to get a manicure/pedicure with my wife. She has been trying to get me to go with her. I used to get ingrown toenails in the same area...had to go to the doctor multiple times to get the nail cut out and that isn't any fun. I think going would at least be good to see what they do...

I use nail clippers. From the drugstore, but not the cheapest ones there (maybe $10 or so). With a blade receptacle, like mentioned above, which does work about 90% of the time. (Mine were cheaper, though :tongue:). I did not get the cheapest, because clippers than don't cut well, but rather mash, either because of dulling, or being out of alignment, are extraordinarily annoying. But decent ones from the drugstore work fine. And I doubt super expensive ones will last that much longer (they aren't carbide tipped, after all).

Personally, that's all I feel like messing with. I suppose I would be better groomed in theory if I filed them, or buffed, or whatever, but I really can't bring myself to give that much of a darn. They look fine. If they seem a little rough on the edges after clipping, I rub vigorously on my bluejeans for a minute while walking away from the trashcan to smooth down the burrs, so I don't scratch my girlfriend.

Edit: Forgot to mention. If I can't find my clippers, I will use my pocket knife. Works fine, but takes longer.

tam.audio said:
Does this nail receptacle work that well? Sounds interesting as I tend to miss the garbage can or clip my nails outside.

Yes it does. I have been using them for two weeks now and have yet to lose a nail.

moses said:
If they seem a little rough on the edges after clipping, I rub vigorously on my bluejeans for a minute while walking away from the trashcan to smooth down the burrs, so I don't scratch my girlfriend.

Dude, that was funny. I'm still laughing. I've never rubbed my nails on my clothing like that. It never crossed my mind to do it. That is damn funny just imagining you doing that.

I have to remember to hit the drugstore tomorrow morning to get the emory board and something to buff the nails with.

I continue to learn how to be well groomed.

av8or234 said:
I must admit I just gnaw at my finger nails. I have tried over and over to quit and just can't seem to stop. I'd chew on my toes too, but am not that flexible.
Something about being named "Tom" that makes us chew our nails? :laugh:

At least it (temporarily) keeps me from cracking my knuckles. I'm a man of many habits, I suppose.

tjkirch said:
Something about being named "Tom" that makes us chew our nails? :laugh:

At least it (temporarily) keeps me from cracking my knuckles. I'm a man of many habits, I suppose.

That must be it! I've tried about everything I can think of to stop and just can't seem to do it. Always nice to meet another Tom.

I use Tweezerman nail clippers, which came in a set of small and large.

I have cuticle issues on my fingertips (drying out), and for this I use Burt's Bee's Lemon Cuticle Treatment once or twice a week before going to bed.

moses said:
If they seem a little rough on the edges after clipping, I rub vigorously on my bluejeans for a minute while walking away from the trashcan to smooth down the burrs, so I don't scratch my girlfriend.

Interesting, I sometimes do that myself. Otherwise, just trimming and filing to smooth them out a bit. Absolutely no buffing here! In fact, a motto of mine is: Never trust a man with buffed nails. :wink: Seriously...never!

Agent86 said:
Never trust a man with buffed nails. :wink: Seriously...never!

No offense to those worthy gents who buff, but I am kind of with you on that. I don't know exactly where the line is, but there is one, and for me, that is on the other side.... It is also distinctly on the other side of my generally benefit versus time lost cost/benefit metric.

I understand how you feel, but if one has nails that tend to crack, buffing them once in a while can help reduce the cracking by smoothing the ridges where they tend to crack. This is why I buff mine once in a while. It's either that or wear something like Hard As Nails, and that's crossing the line for me. :thumbdown

Top Bottom