What's new

How do you take care of shaving razors?

After shaving how do you take care of shaving razor? Do you dry and use oil on the razor? I mean could it rust? I have a Merkur 34c. i am new to this kind of shaving so asking.
I have a 34C too, amongst others. Have had it for years. Still looks as good as brand new. I flip my blade after each use. Whilst doing this, I wipe my razor dry. I never store them in the bathroom. Don't drop it!
Every time I decide to give my razor a break to use another one, I put a little mineral oil on the thread, though it's not necessary. That's it.

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I just dry mine with a towel and store until the next use. I keep my razors out of the bathroom where it is humid and apply a light coat of mineral oil only to straight razors. I do not think oil is necessary on your Merkur.

The local Equate brand at Walmart is what I use fir my carbon steel kitchen knives...yeah..I'm a knife junkie too...anything sharp like razors and knives seem to draw me in.

As far as storing...I remove the blade, give the razor a quick clean with dish soap and an old toothbrush and dry with soft towel. I don't completely screw in the handle when putting it away...leaving just a little room.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

My clean-up routine is a bit excessive, I think. After a shave, I'd first loosen the head and rinse the razor head under running tap water to get rid of loose stubble and lather. I then wipe with a dry towel and rest it on a basket to be put aside for the next step.

34GBasket.jpg

I would dip the head into ISP/rubbing alcohol to disinfect and dry out hidden areas faster.

alcoholdip.jpg

Followed by more detailed spraying and wipe down with alcohol using glass cleaning cloth and maybe Q-tip. I would then finally air dry and store it.

alcoholspray.jpg

Every now and then though, I would add an extra second step of cleaning the razor with an old toothbrush and dishwashing liquid. That said, you could probably just get away with just rinsing and wiping your razor, then putting it out to dry. I just do all this because I always set aside a lot of time to enjoy the shaving experience.

I don't think that the Merkur 34C could rust by itself. If you leave the blade in for too long in a moist environment, the blade can actually deposit tea stains. You should be good as long as you keep the razor dry after use. If you're new to the 34C you might like to know that you can actually remove the bottom knob for cleaning. I am actually influenced by nickshave's video when it comes to this subject so you might want to give him a view.

I loosen the head or the doors a little, set the razor in the sink, and spritz it and the bowl with Scrubbing Bubbles (non-bleach). After it sits while I mop up the bathroom counter, I rinse it in hot water and set it on a folded square of toilet paper to dry. The TTO razors, the Slim and the Red Tip, I'll hang up on the razor brush stand, then close them up when I get home from work.

The spritzing helps. When I change the blades at the beginning of the month, the razors are all pretty clean and don't need much cleaning at all.

I used to take my Tech razor apart and towel dry everything off after each use. Now I just loosen a couple of turns rinse, blow it dry with my mouth and leave it loose on the shelf. I don't flip the blade after each shave either as I found it did nothing to extend blade life or shave quality. Takes probably 5 seconds.

When I change blades I give it a good rinse with hot water then towel dry everything which instantly brings back the original (when I got it) shine with very little effort and there was zero buildup. Takes probably 2 mins.

Rinse in hot water after each use. When I change blades I wipe my razor with a soft towel and occasionally wash in some Dawn with a soft toothbrush to eliminate any soap scum. Works for me! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I have a Rockwell 6S, so the care for it will be different from a Zamak razor.

I disassemble The cap, plate, blade and handle and run each one under water that is as hot as I can stand. It’s probably about 110°. I then dry each part with a hand towel and I strop the blade on the heel of my hand on all four grinds. Once the razor is reassembled, I tighten the head for the next shave and return the razor to its stand.

Once a week, I spray the plate with Scrubbing Bubbles and use a tooth brush on the trouble spots.

I would not run a Zamak razor under very hot water.

I gently scrub my razors with dish detergent (oxy), and a soft child’s toothbrush and the place it in my ultrasonic cleaner...along with the blade.
No, I’m not anal. I don’t haul my ultrasonic cleaner out of a box from under the counter every day. My ultrasonic cleaner is always sitting on my counter with water in it. (I’m a bachelor) I paid for it, I’m going to use it until it breaks. I toss my eyeglasses in it, combs, brushes, watches etc. Keep it handy.

I never use oil. After the shave I disassemble the razor and rinse all the parts in warm running water while using my fingers to wipe away soap scum. After, I use a microfiber cloth to dry and polish the parts, shake out any water left in the handle opening and leave the pieces on a suitable cloth on the counter until the next shave.

When I’ve finished shaving, I thoroughly rinse my brush out and return it to its place, then I remove the blade, and with a toothbrush I use cold water and liquid soap and give it a good clean, rinse and pat it dry on the towel, and prop it up on the wrapper for a while to air dry. Then I break the razor down, (if it’s a three-piece), and clean it the same way as I do the blade; dry it off with the towel, and lay it on the bathroom window-sill for a while, (the bathroom isn’t humid) before I reassemble it, and put it back on its stand. The blade is then wrapped again, and if I’m going to use it quickly, it goes on a magnet in the shave cupboard; otherwise it goes in an Altoids tin with a silica gel packet.

If I feel the need to oil TTO razors, I use light knitting machine oil - it’s similar to sewing machine oil, but scourable if it gets on your clothes!

Last edited:
I never use oil. After the shave I disassemble the razor and rinse all the parts in warm running water while using my fingers to wipe away soap scum. After, I use a microfiber cloth to dry and polish the parts, shake out any water left in the handle opening and leave the pieces on a suitable cloth on the counter until the next shave.

Why don’t you reassemble the razor?

Why don’t you reassemble the razor?

No reason, really. Just been doing it this way. I’ll typically use the same razor with the same blade for about 4 or 5 shaves. It just seems better not the reassemble it with the blade loaded in it. On the next shave I load the blade and it’s all set to go.

Top Bottom