What's new

How do you store your used blade for future use?

I will rinse the blade and blot it dry with toilet paper. If there is an original wrap, I will place it back in there. Artist club blades don't have a wrap, so no wrap there. Then I will fold up some sturdy paper, say from large full size envelopes. I will mark the name of the blade and make a mark for each use. However, I always wipe a bit of white mineral oil on the blade before wrapping it up. I'm not sure I need to do this, but old habits die hard. Does anyone else lubricate the blade before putting it away? Anybody have a good method for storing blades and keeping track of the number of shaves?

proline.jpg

I will rinse the blade and blot it dry with toilet paper. If there is an original wrap, I will place it back in there. Artist club blades don't have a wrap, so no wrap there. Then I will fold up some sturdy paper, say from large full size envelopes. I will mark the name of the blade and make a mark for each use. However, I always wipe a bit of white mineral oil on the blade before wrapping it up. I'm not sure I need to do this, but old habits die hard. Does anyone else lubricate the blade before putting it away? Anybody have a good method for storing blades and keeping track of the number of shaves?

View attachment 1170341
I heard that a little mineral oil really works. Haven't tried it though.

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
My blade stays in my razor. I rinse the razor, shake it, and put it on the counter. I have, so far, gotten over two dozen extremely close and comfortable shaves off my current blade, despite such a neglectful approach. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I see that people leave their blade in the razor. That's what my dad did and I think that is fine. My question is more to those that are evaluating different blades. I have picked up some samplers and that has provided me with about 15 different blades, which I am trying out. I want to use a blade several times, but I want to rotate through my samplers to evaluate them. So for those who rotate their blades, what to do with the blades you are not using?

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I see that people leave their blade in the razor. That's what my dad did and I think that is fine. My question is more to those that are evaluating different blades. I have picked up some samplers and that has provided me with about 15 different blades, which I am trying out. I want to use a blade several times, but I want to rotate through my samplers to evaluate them. So for those who rotate their blades, what to do with the blades you are not using?
Well, if you have two razors you could A/B them until the blades wore out. I have two pucks of soap, PdP and TOBS. I have been alternating them and noting the differences. The "loser" will doubtless be replaced by a new challenger. it looks to me as if the PdP will be replaced by Seaforth Heather. When I got sampler packs of blades I did a similar thing. Currently Crystal and PIR are duking it out. However, if I change razors I might need to start over, so my initial idea of using two razors, I conclude, is not a solution! A legit comparison of only the blade requires the same blade! I kind of liked leaving the blade in a shot glass.

I just dry the blade off and stack it with other used blades. I only use blades 2-3x but am working my way thru 20+ different brands so there are usually 4-5 used blades waiting.

Thgere are so many variables to consider and that makes the task of blade evaluation so difficult. You have preconditioning with shower and hot towel; pre-shave product, type of soap lather or shaving oil, etc. And then there is skill level - a new shaver may toss out a blade because it is too sharp for him.

So I don't think there will be any winners, just losers. If a blade tugs, nicks, produces weepers, it will fall into the loser category, with many blades remaining as winners. Right now I like Voskhod and Polsilver. But I caught a few weepers with 7:00 Yellow. In all fairness, I was in a hurry and did not really prep so I will give 7:00 Yellow another chance (many here like it). I definitely had a problem with Personna Israeli red, but will give that one a second chance as well. All the Artist Club and Captain Kai blades seem to be problem free. I think their thickness (rigidity) makes them shave more like a straight razor.

So for now, I am just wrapping in paper to keep the edge safe and noting the number of shaves on the wrapper.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I have a blade in my Feather Ac folding razor, I just leave it in there, works ok for me. I try and make sure everything is nice and dry after use though.

A B&B friend designed and 3D printed this blade storing rack. I keep it in the medicine cabinet. It has blade-holding magnets and can be wall mounted. I added the little magnetic dogbones to elevate the blades when it is used on a shelf.

613316AE-1454-4A9A-9E82-4C854A2A5EEB.jpeg

I use it and its sibling (sitting on top of my razor storage cabinet) a lot!

The most important thing to remember is to always keep a razor blade (new or used) DRY, and away from moisture (and from small children). How this is done is very subjective and there are all kinds of methods.

A "steamy bathroom" is the worst place to store blades.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I always remove the blade, rinse, dry and re-wrap in its wrapper and make a dot on the wrapper with a pencil to show how many times it has been used. Finally used blades are stored in a drawer of a jewelry box I use to store my razors and open packs of blades.

I keep it in the razor if it's a stainless steel blade. I generally stick with 1 blade, and keep it in the razor for the life of the blade. I only use 1 razor and 1 blade at a time, so I never mix and match.

If it's a carbon steel blade, I take it out of the razor, dry it off, and keep it out until my next shave, where I then will put the blade back in the razor.

You can get these blade dryers off Etsy.
I like mine.
View attachment 1170442
I have a cheap ultrasonic cleaner that sits permanently on my counter. I throw in glasses, brushes, nail clippers etc. Mostly I toss in my razors each time I use them. I know it sounds anal, and probably would be if I had to take it out of a cupboard each time, but mine lives right there on the counter. Might as well use it. I do think it keeps my blade edges in tip top form (Microscopically). I got some of those Etsy blade dryers, and now I place the blade inside and toss the whole dryer in the ultrasonic cleaner. Keeps the edge from bumping into other things. Then I take the whole thing out and give it a shake and set it aside til the next shave.

In the razor; 3 or 4 uses, then I toss it. I did at first run through a bunch of different blades until I found the one I like best, GSB, and now I stick with that brand exclusively.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have a fairly big razor rotation and have zeroed in on preferred (or three ;)) blades for each of my regular razors.

Each razor is disassembled and rinsed thoroughly (including the blade) under hot water after each use.

Pat everything thoroughly dry, flip the blade and reassemble. Ready for the next use.

I keep track of each blade (number of shaves and razor in which the blade resides) in Google Keep - which is where I keep my shaving log.

Takes very little time and allows me to easily manage a number of different razor/blade combinations.

Top Bottom