What's new

How do you store your used blade for future use?

I use one blade in my WCS 84S razor till the blade is worn out. When I am done shaving, and rinsed the razor, I dip in a jar of rubbing alcohol to remove the water, and any remaining gunk.

Ever since I started shaving with a DE razor I always remove the blade after each shave then gently dry it on a soft towel and then I put the blade on a magnet. I'm going to try to put the blade in a mineral oil jar after each shave to see if there's any difference as some people claim.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
A B&B friend designed and 3D printed this blade storing rack. I keep it in the medicine cabinet. It has blade-holding magnets and can be wall mounted. I added the little magnetic dogbones to elevate the blades when it is used on a shelf.

View attachment 1170457

I use it and its sibling (sitting on top of my razor storage cabinet) a lot!
Looks very dicey to me. :scared::lol:

I see that people leave their blade in the razor. That's what my dad did and I think that is fine. My question is more to those that are evaluating different blades. I have picked up some samplers and that has provided me with about 15 different blades, which I am trying out. I want to use a blade several times, but I want to rotate through my samplers to evaluate them. So for those who rotate their blades, what to do with the blades you are not using?
I rinse ,dry and put them on a magnetic strip.
Very easy to keep track of how many uses for each blade this way.

IMG-1384.jpg

I leave the blade in the razor until it's worn out whether it takes a few days or a few weeks. It's stainless so it's never been a problem. Carbon steel is a whole nother kettle of fish. That I'll remove, rinse off, pat dry and coat with mineral oil.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Keep it in the razor -- there's no need for removal and the extra handling. I have never felt the need to store good blades outside of a razor. If I'm switch a razor I'll carefully move the blade from one to the other. It's worked for 50 years, no need to start changing things now.

How different are the Nacet (second blade on the magnet) and the Super Nacet (fifth blade on the magnet)? I assume the Super Nacet is vintage. Does is shave better or smoother?
Hi and thanks for asking.
The Nacet Stainless is produced in St. Petersburg, Russia while the Super Nacet is from China. There are tons of the Super Nacet here at my place and quite cheap too. The Nacet Stainless from Russia on the other hand is not as cheap and not as easily available, although can be had from Ebay.
Below is the picture comparing the blades...as you can see, even with the Nacet Stainless there are 2 types. I am not sure if one is not the real deal. Notice the middle Nacet package indicate made in Russia but the non...just some arabic words.
Perhaps someone with more knowledge can share...??
20201019_221841.jpg

Forgotten to inform about the performance....
I find the Nacet Stainless to be a smoother and better blade compare to the Super Nacet. YMMV of course....
The Super Nacet is still a good blade but Nacet Stainless is just better....

Forgotten to inform about the performance....
I find the Nacet Stainless to be a smoother and better blade compare to the Super Nacet. YMMV of course....
The Super Nacet is still a good blade but Nacet Stainless is just better....

I've heard about those Chinese Nacets but I don't know much about them. I guess both Stainless Nacets are the same blade just different package from different time. What I keep seeing in some of the recent Russian blade packages is that they changed from R to TM. I've seen that on the Wizamet blade packages as well.

I've heard about those Chinese Nacets but I don't know much about them. I guess both Stainless Nacets are the same blade just different package from different time. What I keep seeing in some of the recent Russian blade packages is that they changed from R to TM. I've seen that on the Wizamet blade packages as well.
Thanks for the clarification.....

Thgere are so many variables to consider and that makes the task of blade evaluation so difficult. You have preconditioning with shower and hot towel; pre-shave product, type of soap lather or shaving oil, etc. And then there is skill level - a new shaver may toss out a blade because it is too sharp for him...

+1! Yes indeed! In addition, there can be variability depending on when the blades were produced during a production run as well as blade-to-blade variability.

My approach (for what is worth) is to limit the number of variables as best I can. Ideally, I evaluate one new blade using my favored set-up (same razor, favorite brushes, soaps and AS) until that blade is ready to toss. Each shave is graded on 10-point scale.

Then, I go to one of my ‘top-tier’ blades as a control using the identical set-up until that blade is done.

Finally, I repeat the process with a second sample of the blade under evaluation using the same procedure.

This pretty much replicates my daily shaving procedure, so a ’real world’ test for me.

I suppose I could set up a ’blinded’ procedure where I would not know which blade was which using identical razors, perhaps shaving one side of my face with each blade. That would be a bit too much for a sleepy guy first thing in the AM!! :a29: :a29:

After cleaning and drying razor and blade, I put the blade back in the razor till next use. When blade gets dull I toss it to the used blade jar and put a new blade in the razor.

I use mineral oil on all my kitchen knives and carry knives might start using it on my DE blades and I'm looking to adhere some magnets to the inside of my cabinet door but somewhere that I can't accidentally cut myself. Right now I just set the one or two I have open on an overturned cup. I also picked up the use of dice to count the number the blades been used and will have to figure a way to do that once I add the magnets.

Thanks
mreeveshp

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I use a blade until it needs to be replaced and then bin it. I do dry it after I use it by dabbing it dry on my towel. Personally I don’t like have used blades lying around, I would rather use one and then when I replace it I will pick another one and bin the used blade. I really believe that we are overthinking this whole shaving thing.

Top Bottom